Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't switch to KDE, huge logon screen, icon text

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

Can't switch to KDE, huge logon screen, icon text

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi folks,
I did a netinstall of Sarge with 2.6 a couple of weeks ago. I've got a few problems, hence the wordy title.

1. If I try to launch KDE from the login manager I get a few seconds of something happening, then a huge dialogue box that I can't read except for the 'OK' button (I could make out some text one time, just the word 'DHCP' - I'm not using DHCP). Then the screen just stays grey and I have to ctrl-alt-bkspc to the login screen. There's nothing in /var/mesages to help, and ~.kde just contains 3 empty directories - I'm assuming there'd be more in there if my first KDE login was in any way successful.

2. The login screen is huge, and I have to move the mose around to get to the options on the bottom of the screen. The dialogue box in point 1 above is of this size. Once I'm in Gnome everything's fine, and I'm in lovely 1152x864. I'm using a TNT2 on a 15" LG575N CRT.

3. A minor niggle: I've resized my desktop icons in Gnome to my liking, but the text under the icons spills onto 2 lines. Just a minor thing, but it looks a bit silly.

I'd be grateful for any help!

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Humor me, please. Add a new user, log on as new user, and launch KDE. If KDE launches normally, then we know that the problem is a corrupted file somewhere in your home directory. I suggest this course of action because this problem happened to me a couple of years ago.

Guest> I'm using a TNT2
Hmm... Old... Shouldn't be a problem (other than slow redraw) but who knows.

Guest2

Same Problem

#3 Post by Guest2 »

I have the same problem with KDM/KDE on my widescreen LCD. No problem on other 4:3 monitors. I think it has something to do with the XFree86.conf/xorg.conf. If you manage to find a solution, please let us know.

foomonster

#4 Post by foomonster »

Thanks for the replies. I tried logging in as a new user, but it was the same.

Funnily enough I demo'd Debian a few weeks before doing a proper install, and the logon screen was fine. That was on 2.4 kernel which I upgraded through apt to 2.6 This time I installed 2.6 from the start. I wonder if that's got any relevance?

inconnu

#5 Post by inconnu »

foomonster wrote:Funnily enough I demo'd Debian a few weeks before doing a proper install, and the logon screen was fine. That was on 2.4 kernel which I upgraded through apt to 2.6 This time I installed 2.6 from the start. I wonder if that's got any relevance?
I don't know, but I installed with the "linux26" for the 2.6 kernel (2.6.8-2-386, I think), and had no real problems with it; then later installed the 2.6.8-2-686 kernel, again with no problems.

Initially, I did have to edit the XF86Config-4 file to get 1024x768, though. But in my case the wrong resolution (800x600?) didn't mess up the login screen, it just made the fonts too large.
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1

#6 Post by Guest »

I had to edit the XF86Config-4 to get 1152x864 as well... I wonder if that was it.