Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

REALLY newbish question about X

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
FuckinLagger

REALLY newbish question about X

#1 Post by FuckinLagger »

Hello, I've downloaded and installed a new copy of Debian (3.1). I installed the graphical package, now, each time i boot Debian it's automatically goes into X. My question is: How can i exit X (I need it to istall graphical driver...)? and how can i make debian to boot to text mode and not X? Thanks in advance...

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

To boot to text mode, you need to either un-install or disable automatic startup of your display manager. I don't know what the default DM is these days for Debian, but I'm sure that it is either Gnome Display Manager (GDM) or KDE Display Manager (KDM). To un-install, do apt-get remove GDM KDM. If you prefer to disable rather than un-install, go to /etc/rc2.d/, find the line that looks something similar to S20GDM or S20KDM and delete it. You can always rebuild it later if you want to re-enable autostart.

<Ctrl><Alt><Backspace> will kill X.

FuckinLagger

#3 Post by FuckinLagger »

Thanks a lot, I shall try it right away...

tuxdaemon

Killing DM's

#4 Post by tuxdaemon »

If the DM doesn't want to die off and keep respawning like they are supposed to do, hit ctrl + alt + f1 to go to tty1.

Login as root
ps ax

Find kdm/xdm/gdm and X process ids (Eg: 1212)
kill [PID]

Start with killing the display manager then X.
So assuming PID 1111 is Gdm_Greeter and 1110 is GDM, and 1112 is X, do kill 1111 1110 1112 to kill them in sequencial order. X will now be dead and killed off. Now you can install the drivers. For nvidia, sometimes it complains that X is still running probably due to a stale socket from the killing. Just type X :0 and hit ctrl + alt + f1 then ctrl + c the X-Window-System the right way to delete these locks/sockets. Then try running the installer again.

dawgie

Re: REALLY newbish question about X

#5 Post by dawgie »

FuckinLagger wrote: and how can i make debian to boot to text mode and not X? Thanks in advance...
#echo false >> /etc/X11/default-display-manager
or open the file in a text editor and hash out the entry.

tuxdaemon

Oops

#6 Post by tuxdaemon »

Yeah, I forgot to add that to my message. Hope this info we provided solves your issue.

b12

Stopping Graphical

#7 Post by b12 »

Hi,

When your in Gnome or KDE,

Press cntrl-alt-F1

This takes you to the console. To return press

alt-F7

While at the console, to shutdown the gnome:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

to shutdown KDE:

/etc/init.d/kdm stop

or Xwindows::

/etc/init.d/xdm stop

To restart:

for gnome:
/etc/init.d/gdm start
I'm sure you know what todo for kde, and X

To stop them from starting automatically at boot up.

for gnome:
rename the start script,
cp /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm /etc/rc2.d/_S99gdm

Kde should be S99kdm
and X should be S99xdm

I hope I got all that right, and I hope that helps.

Best of luck!! :)