Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems DVD::RIP

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ahab

Problems DVD::RIP

#1 Post by ahab »

Dear Debian Users:

I've problems running DVD::RIP. Right in the middle of encoding, the computer suddenly shuts down. It seems to occur randomly, as different trials yield a different point of shutdown. I am wondering if anybody else had this problem before. It happened to me the first time, but under Windows XP running DVDx I had similar problems with certain DVDs.
Has anybody an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Ahab

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

Are you trying to encode directly from the dvd?

ahab

#3 Post by ahab »

dawgie wrote:Are you trying to encode directly from the dvd?
No, I ripped it first. I tried to reinstall dvdrip and transcode, and it seems (at least for this case) to work. However I do not know if I just had luck. So I suppose I will get in touch with you again if the problem remains.

Thanks for your interest.

anon

#4 Post by anon »

Are you sure this isn't a hardware problem? A complete shutdown smells like overheating or just the general overzealus overclocking?

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

Could be something overheating. Could be buffer underrun. Try throttling burn speed, and try not to do anything else on the computer while burning.

ahab

#6 Post by ahab »

Dear Harold,
it's actually not a problem of burning, just encoding.
Anon,
I am using a laptop, so I am not sure where there can be a hardware problem. Maybe something could be misconfigured. I would be interested to find out. How could I avoid overheating, and what does overclocking mean?

Thank you for your sympathy

dawgie

#7 Post by dawgie »

Are you sure it is dvdrip? Does your pc run OK for 10 or 12 hours without problems? Since you have already cached the DVD contents, that rules out the cd drive. Using a double-pass in transcode may take as long as 8 or 10 hours for me with lots of HD activity.

I had a similar problem last year with a very large database. It turned out to be a bad RAM stick. The problem was not apparent with normal useage.

ahab

#8 Post by ahab »

I have to obvious problems when running the PC for 10-12 hours. A friend of mine has the same PC model, and it occurs on his as well, though not so frequently. I tried it again yesterday, and the problem still persists. So maybe you are right with the RAM. The thing is just that I haven't had these problems to that extent before, especially not on Debian. I had a SUSE system installed before, and I cannot remember having had this problem before (however there were some other bugs which really made me desperate). On Windows it helped sometimes to create the destination file directly under C:/. Sometimes I have the impression that the shutdown is in coincidence with the screen saver coming up in Debian. I am not using a screen saver, but after 20min or so a black screen comes up automatically.

Anyway do you think I can test the RAM stick somehow, eg with a specific software?

dawgie

#9 Post by dawgie »

ahab wrote: Anyway do you think I can test the RAM stick somehow, eg with a specific software?
You can use memtest86+ which runs as its own OS.

# apt-get install memtest86+

then create an entry in your /boot/grub/menu.lst
title Memory Test
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

When you restart your machine, you can choose "Memory Test"

ahab

#10 Post by ahab »

Dear dawgie,

I think you were right, something isn't OK. After 8:25 h running this software, I got the results summarized below (but I do actually not understand what it means):

Tst Pass Failing Address Good Bad Err-Bits Count chan
4 4 00005853570 88.1MB 9934df52 9934ff52 00002000 20
6 20 000077de730 119.8MB fffeffff 7ffeffff 80000000 1
6 21 00005853570 88.1MB ffffdfff ffffffff 00002000 40

Can I do something, eg bypassing the failing addresses? How can it happen that it's not working properly? I thought either it's completely dead, or it's OK.

Thank you for helping me out.

anon

#11 Post by anon »

There once as a patch to the kernel that let you bypass bad mem, don't know what happend to it, but then I don't think you should bother.
Get a new stick of ram unless this isn't a side effect of heat. Most boards have sensors that monitors processor heat fan speed etc.
If you have a 2.6 kernel:
apt-get install lm-sensors gkrellm
for 2.4 it seems like you need an additional package to match you kernel see http://packages.debian.org/stable/virtu ... rs-mod-2.9 (uname -a will tell you which kernel you have)
then run sensors-detect
gkrellm is a gui app that displays sensor values in realtime (might need some configuration, rightclick to get to it).
There's probably something just like this on window that's much easier to setup.
If this is a heat issue, do a google on your laptop and see what other users have experienced.
(overclocking is making your hardware, typically your cpu run out of spec.)

#12 Post by Guest »

Hi anon,

grellm seems to be a very sophisticated program, however I cannot setup the sensors for the temperature. When I go to configure, then sensors, I can find the options, but I cannot enable it. When I look into info it says that there are sensors detected. I am running a 2.6 kernel. Also I've read in the manual that one can set it up so it will send an email before the computer shuts down, so one may trace back the error.

Do you know how to solve these issues?

Thanks in advance.

ahab

#13 Post by ahab »

Correction of my previous message:
Sorry, I meant of course that in the info section are no sensors detected.

ahab

ahab

#14 Post by ahab »

I just went through the procedure: http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/identify.html#ITEM33
to set up the sensors. I think my laptop hasn't built-in any sensors, as /usr/sbin/isadump 0x295 0x296 just replies ff for all the address registers.

Do you have any other suggesions?

Thanks again for being do kind.