Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Running a command in Gnome at every boot automatically.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Jansu
Location: In the back of my head, next to the mysterious voice.

Running a command in Gnome at every boot automatically.

#1 Post by Jansu »

Hello,

Bit of a newbie question. I have a command

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"
that I would like to execute every time as Gnome comes up. I tried to add this line into /etc/init.d/gdm but then the system would not boot directly into Gnome anymore. So, what would the correct file be?

I need the command to swap two pairs of mouse buttons on my Logitech MX700, so that the thumbs and wheel work correctly.

The xmodmap apparently needs X running in background (since I tried running it in a normal console and it complained that it 'cannot find screen' or something like that). So what would be the correct X or Gnome config file to add that line?

- J
<Insert your favorite quote here>

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

You can add a program to run when Gnome starts by putting your commands in a script file and making it executable and then in Gnome:

Applications-->Desktop Preferences-->Advanced-->Sessions
Choose the "Startup Programs" tab and add the path to your script. Change the order number as needed.