Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install compiz-fusion?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
super.rad

How to install compiz-fusion?

#1 Post by super.rad »

I recently installed Debian Etch, i've just set up my graphics card (ATI Radeon Xpress 200G) using the fglrx driver. It's working fine as the output from

Code: Select all

fglrxinfo
is

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6747 (8.40.4)
Now i want to install compiz-fusion but i cant find any guides on how to install it on debian with ATI cards. Is there any links for how-to's or could someone tell me how to install it. Thanks

super.rad

#2 Post by super.rad »

I've found this hot-to on the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... +ati+howto but when i get the following error

jimin-debian:/home/jimin# apt-get install xserver-xgl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package xserver-xgl

rickh

#3 Post by rickh »

Not an exact match for your system, but the answers to your questions may well be here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=16786
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

super.rad

#4 Post by super.rad »

I've found a guide here http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2007/08/h ... ompiz.html
but when i try to install xserver-xgl i get the following message

jimin-debian:/home/jimin/Desktop# dpkg -i xserver-xgl_7.2.0.git.20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package xserver-xgl.
(Reading database ... 102506 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xserver-xgl (from xserver-xgl_7.2.0.git.20070224-0ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xserver-xgl:
 xserver-xgl depends on libc6 (>= 2.5-0ubuntu1); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2.
 xserver-xgl depends on libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0); however:
  Version of libxrandr2 on system is 2:1.1.0.2-5.
dpkg: error processing xserver-xgl (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 xserver-xgl
Does anyone know how to solve this, i really want to install compiz-fusion

BioTube

#5 Post by BioTube »

I remember hearing something about recent versions requiring something for X that's not even in Sid yet.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

PaulFXH

#6 Post by PaulFXH »

I've used Shame's repository (http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?page_id=29 to install Compiz-Fusion in Debian Sid (w/ Gnome) and it works perfectly.
I've also used the same source to install CF in Sidux (w/ KDE) and it works fine there too.
Using an old nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 card with legacy 1.0-9639 driver and no problems.

super.rad

#7 Post by super.rad »

I've managed to instal xgl &l compiz-fusion but now all the windows look old, i've included a screenshot so you can see what i mean, if i try chaning themes in emerald only the border around the windows change and i cant get the windows back to how they were

jonny_noog

#8 Post by jonny_noog »

Hello,

I've been trying to set up compiz-fusion on a fresh lenny install (the vast majority of the system is lenny, but with the 2.6.22 kernel from sid), I've got an ATI card, and I have successfully installed the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, running fglrx info gives:

OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6474 (8.38.6)
I then followed the how to mentioned above (http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2007/08/h ... ompiz.html) but downloaded the compiz packages from shames new repository for lenny (http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /snapshot/ ./) and have gotten compiz-fusion working, but I do not have any 3D effects, like the 3D cube. I do have the 2D stuff, the wobbly windows, drop shadows on windows etc.

I think my issue is related to the XGL stuff that you apparently have to use for an ATI card. If I start GDM with XGL (as outlined in the above how to) and then try fglrxinfo, I get:

Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
If I start GDM without XGL, fglrxinfo does not show the Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". error. But then of course compiz fusion just doesn't work at all.

I have successfully got the compiz-fusion 3D effects working on this very laptop but on a sid installation and I have since reinstalled to give lenny a try as sid was just a little too unstable for what I'm wanting to use this particular laptop for. So I started wondering what was different between lenny and sid... The fglrx driver packages in lenny and sid currently both appear to be at version 8.36.6, the libglitz-glx1 and libglitz1 packages also appear to be at the same version right now in lenny and sid, so I guess it must be something else that's different.

Has anyone gotten the compiz-fusion 3D effects working with lenny and an ATI card where you need this XGL business? Or am I just "pissing in the wind" here? Can anyone give more information on XGL?

Could the issue be related to the difference in gnome version between lenny and sid?

EDIT: Probably better to post on the compiz fusion forum about this stuff I guess, but I just had a thought that perhaps the version of compiz fusion that is in shames lenny repo (http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /snapshot/ ./) is older and simply does not have the 3D cube effect that is activated by the middle mouse button... Does anyone know if all versions of compiz fusion have this effect?

2nd EDIT: Just for anyone else who may be trying to get Compiz Fusion working with an ATI card, fglrx and xgl, after further research I have discovered that the Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". error is apparently normal when xgl is running, as is direct rendering being disabled. So getting these errors probably means that xgl is going just fine (w00t). And the differences in appearance and activation of various effects in Compiz Fusion were, as I suspected, a result of the different versions of Compiz Fusion its self that are in either Shames Lenny or Sid repositories.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

kuro

I'm trying to install on a Laptop ATI x1300

#9 Post by kuro »

I need to know if this works fine on Etch + ATIx1600 :roll:

reassuringlyoffensive

Compiz Fusion on Lenny.

#10 Post by reassuringlyoffensive »

I've successfully installed Compiz Fusion this week after making a few schoolboy errors previously. Just use shames repository and wiki and I think you will get it up and running. (This isn't a direct response to anyone just aimed at new or newish debian users).
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

SniperCZ36

did u fix it??

#11 Post by SniperCZ36 »

jonny_noog wrote:Hello,

I've been trying to set up compiz-fusion on a fresh lenny install (the vast majority of the system is lenny, but with the 2.6.22 kernel from sid), I've got an ATI card, and I have successfully installed the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, running fglrx info gives:

I then followed the how to mentioned above (http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2007/08/h ... ompiz.html) but downloaded the compiz packages from shames new repository for lenny (http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /snapshot/ ./) and have gotten compiz-fusion working, but I do not have any 3D effects, like the 3D cube. I do have the 2D stuff, the wobbly windows, drop shadows on windows etc.

I think my issue is related to the XGL stuff that you apparently have to use for an ATI card. If I start GDM with XGL (as outlined in the above how to) and then try fglrxinfo, I get:

If I start GDM without XGL, fglrxinfo does not show the Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". error. But then of course compiz fusion just doesn't work at all.

I have successfully got the compiz-fusion 3D effects working on this very laptop but on a sid installation and I have since reinstalled to give lenny a try as sid was just a little too unstable for what I'm wanting to use this particular laptop for. So I started wondering what was different between lenny and sid... The fglrx driver packages in lenny and sid currently both appear to be at version 8.36.6, the libglitz-glx1 and libglitz1 packages also appear to be at the same version right now in lenny and sid, so I guess it must be something else that's different.

Has anyone gotten the compiz-fusion 3D effects working with lenny and an ATI card where you need this XGL business? Or am I just "pissing in the wind" here? Can anyone give more information on XGL?

Could the issue be related to the difference in gnome version between lenny and sid?

EDIT: Probably better to post on the compiz fusion forum about this stuff I guess, but I just had a thought that perhaps the version of compiz fusion that is in shames lenny repo (http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /snapshot/ ./) is older and simply does not have the 3D cube effect that is activated by the middle mouse button... Does anyone know if all versions of compiz fusion have this effect?

2nd EDIT: Just for anyone else who may be trying to get Compiz Fusion working with an ATI card, fglrx and xgl, after further research I have discovered that the Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". error is apparently normal when xgl is running, as is direct rendering being disabled. So getting these errors probably means that xgl is going just fine (w00t). And the differences in appearance and activation of various effects in Compiz Fusion were, as I suspected, a result of the different versions of Compiz Fusion its self that are in either Shames Lenny or Sid repositories.
hi

i have same probs as u and it cause to me this :

1st i cant change gamma on my monitor.
2nd im playing a wolfenstein enemy territory (nearly two years :) ) and i want run him too on linux, but when i turn him on (compiz-fusion installed and wrok fine, dont tryed without compiz-fusion) some textures missing to me or theyre drawed wrong :O

btw where to set transparent of 3d cube and beckgraund behind cube?

anyone could help me pls?
Doesnt metter how mutch time u have but how u spend it

craigevil

#12 Post by craigevil »

From #sidux-cf using shame's repo
sources" is (#1) for the unstable repo (based on git version of compiz fusion copy / paste the following into a root konsole, or (#2) echo 'deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /unstable/ ./' >> /etc/apt/sources.list, or (#3) and for the stable repo (compiz 0.6.2 and compiz fusion 0.6.0) echo 'deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/de ... /unstable/
./' >> /etc/apt/sources.list, or (#4) Don't mix repos and uninstall all compiz fusion packages before switching between the two repos

"ATI-Howto" is (#1) to install compiz fusion with ATI Radeon (r200 / r300) video cards - Thanks to Alpha_Cluster for his work on this!, or (#2) see his thread: http://www.sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-970.html , or (#3) after getting ATI drivers working, check with !Composite and !Rendering, follow steps in !HowTo

"composite" is (#1) to enable composite use your favorite text-editor and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf section "Extensions", and add/ensure the following, or (#2) for NVidia, either use smxi -kiwdt for graphics install, be sure to use option -c for compiz-fusion in the install options, or, make sure: Option "Composite" "1" is in the xorg.conf, or (#3) for ATI, make sure: Option "Composite"

"Enable" is in the xorg.conf
"rendering" is (#1) to test if you have "direct rendering" active; do the following in a konsole, or (#2) glxinfo | grep "direct", or (#3) your output should be "direct rendering: Yes" - if it is working
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

jonny_noog

Re: did u fix it??

#13 Post by jonny_noog »

SniperCZ36 wrote: hi

2nd im playing a wolfenstein enemy territory (nearly two years :) ) and i want run him too on linux, but when i turn him on (compiz-fusion installed and wrok fine, dont tryed without compiz-fusion) some textures missing to me or theyre drawed wrong :O

Changing the gamma on your monitor, not sure. Perhaps something like this might yield some useful info?

I'm also not sure I can help you much with the ET issue you speak of as I don't have any time to play games these days :(, have never done so on my Linux system, and so have never come across the problems you speak of. Assuming you have an ATI card and you're using XGL, my only suggestion would be to try turning off compiz-fusion and disabling XGL before you start your game up and see if that makes a difference. Possibly it's something to do with XGL running that could be causing the issue.

If you're still having problems with your game while compiz-fusion and XGL are disabled, then that would of course point towards the issue being something unrelated to compiz-fusion and XGL.

You can change settings in the CompizConfig Settings Manager, you get to it either via the menu in your desktop environment or, if you are using fusion-icon, you can right click on the icon (the little blue box thing) and select the settings manager. What settings are available depends on what version of compiz-fusion you are running and what plugins you have installed, there are a number of places in the settings manager where you can change options relating to the cube. There's "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" in the Desktop section and there's "Cube Reflection" in the Effects section that I can remember off hand, I'm not at my Linux system right now.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

reassuringlyoffensive

#14 Post by reassuringlyoffensive »

If you are running CF with XGL you can't play games unless you disable CF as far as I know. I use AIGLX which can run more than one instance of OpenGL, ie games and screensavers.

Nathan
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

lontra

#15 Post by lontra »

super.rad wrote:I've managed to instal xgl &l compiz-fusion but now all the windows look old, i've included a screenshot so you can see what i mean, if i try chaning themes in emerald only the border around the windows change and i cant get the windows back to how they were
Change your gtk theme with gnome-theme-manager. If you change themes with emerald you're only changing your window borders not your gtk themes.

cabez0n

You don't need xgl

#16 Post by cabez0n »

super.rad wrote:I've found this hot-to on the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... +ati+howto but when i get the following error

jimin-debian:/home/jimin# apt-get install xserver-xgl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package xserver-xgl
As you might have found out there is no XGl packages in the debian repos. You might try other distro packages but that's not a good idea.
Good thing is that latest ati driver's (proprietary) have built in support and you don't need xgl anymore.
You should be able to get it working with the latest drivers...
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linu ... adeon.html

cabez0n

Re: did u fix it??

#17 Post by cabez0n »

SniperCZ36 wrote:
jonny_noog wrote:Hello,

hi

Are you turning compiz off when playing wolfstein ? I guess you do, cause it might not even run otherwise...

3d cube and transparent cube are all plugins that you can activate in the compiz config manager... if you have them. Remeber that some of them are oficial plugins and some of them are not, so might not even work.