Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how do i get to the desktop

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ryanfgf

how do i get to the desktop

#1 Post by ryanfgf »

how do i get to the desktop im at the login screan

-i-

#2 Post by -i- »

I'm assuming you want start the X server?
Well first, if you are at the login screen, you'll have to log in :wink: (with the root accont)
Then you have to configure the grafical part of your system (you should know your video card model and your monitor specs).
The command for that is XF86Config. The program itself should be pretty easy to understand if you know enough about your computer. When you think everything is just the way it should/you want it to be, log out and log in with the normal user account you should have created before, at the first boot. The last step is to type in startx and hope that everything is configured right :D

#3 Post by Guest »

if you haven't installed the packages for X yet, run "tasksel", choose "Desktop environment". The easiest way to get all packages you need.

cosminnn

my x doesn't start

#4 Post by cosminnn »

When I use start X I get this error:

(EE) No devices detected

fatal server error
no sceens found

XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X Server ":0.0" after o requests (0 know processed) with o events remaining

I have debian 3.0 woody and I think there's no video card suport(only for geforce 3 and I own a geforce 4 titanium).I do not have an internet acoount to use apt-get (only a weak dial-up account, unusable for houndreds of MB ) and refresh my distro.

Can you help me?

Please

Maurice

#5 Post by Maurice »

For desktops it is better to run Sarge (testing) or SID (unstable, which I use). The software in these version are more up to date.

For using Sarge, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and swap stable with testing or unstable.

Then perform an

Code: Select all

apt-get update && dist-upgrade
to upgrade your system.
I don't know what kernel you are running, but upgrading to a recent kernel (2.4.27 or 2.6.9) might also help.
The greatest obstacle while discovering the shape of the earth, the oceans and the continents was not ignorence, but the illusion of knowledge.

http://linux-box.nl

Hak`M

#6 Post by Hak`M »

Maurice wrote:For desktops it is better to run Sarge (testing) or SID (unstable, which I use).
Maurice wrote:For using Sarge, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and swap stable with testing or unstable.
You make a little mistake there? Only testing is sarge, unstable will obviously change it to SID. Change into stable into sarge (or sid) wil also work btw.

Maurice

#7 Post by Maurice »

Hak`M wrote: You make a little mistake there? Only testing is sarge, unstable will obviously change it to SID. Change into stable into sarge (or sid) wil also work btw.
I see I missed some text! Thanx for the addition ;)
The greatest obstacle while discovering the shape of the earth, the oceans and the continents was not ignorence, but the illusion of knowledge.

http://linux-box.nl

Hak`M

#8 Post by Hak`M »

That's why we are here isn't it? :)