Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gfx not working, xfree86 & etch

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
wasabee

gfx not working, xfree86 & etch

#1 Post by wasabee »

heres the deal..

i edited my sources.list to change all 'stable' to 'testing', ran 'apt-get update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to upgrade to etch.. but i heard i shouldn't be using xfree86 but xorg.. can someone confirm this? and is it trivial to install xorg? (ie. if i just use 'apt-get remove xserver-xfree86' and 'apt-get install xserver-xorg' will it break anything?)

i have a S3 Inc. VT8375 ProSavage8, according to lspci. using 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' if i select the s3 driver, my card works for regular stuff, but i can't get Totem to play dvds. it looks like its botching the video stream somewhere. if i pick the savage driver, dvd playback works, but so far only in 640x480, ie not in 1280x1024, etc. again i get a green diagonal pixelated screen.

my questions are,

1. if i install xorg, will it help me?
2. if so, how do i do that?
3. if xorg is a part of the etch/testing system and i don't have it, how many other parts of my system aren't up to date with the etch/testing system?

i should probably add that running 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' did not allow me to make new resolutions available in gnome. i would select 1280x1024 60hz as my best resolution, but gnome would start up with only 640x480 and 800x600 available in the screen resolutions dialog. to make the others available i had to manually edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. shouldn't dpkg-reconfigure have updated XF86Config-4 for me?

wasabee

xorg installed, dvd working

#2 Post by wasabee »

okay i installed xorg, now dvd playback is fine.