Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

does Debian have a command similar to "rpm -Uvh"?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

does Debian have a command similar to "rpm -Uvh"?

#1 Post by domecq »

That command comes from Red Hat and it helps to upgrade a package from its previous version that is already installed in the computer to a newer version that was fetched or just built.

For the ones who might think of apt-get, forget, because I am talking about an isolate package that was either "debianized" via alien or which is available in the Internet, but not in an apt repository.

Thanks,

Domecq

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

You can install a a local Debian package with dpkg:

# dpkg -i Path/to/SomeFile.deb

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by domecq »

"dpkg -i Path/to/SomeFile.deb" installs SomeFile.deb
"dpkg -r Path/to/SomeFile.deb" and "dpkg -p Path/to/SomeFile.deb" remove and purge SomeFile.deb.

In order to upgrade SomeFile.deb from an old version to a new version, one would need to remove or purge the old version and, in a second step, to install the new version.

What I am asking is if there is a command that takes care of those two tasks in one single step. That's what "rpm -Uvh" does... I mean, no need to remove old version and install new version.

Thanks again,

Domecq

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

No response so I guess not... anyways, it's not a big deal. Debian is really an excellent distro.

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

You don't need to remove a package in order to upgrade it. The replacement package will be installed in place of the old one. So you only need to run 'dpkg -i', the package will be installed it it isn't already, and will be replaced if it is installed.