Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome vs. KDE

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
RWIndiana

Gnome vs. KDE

#1 Post by RWIndiana »

This isn't to start a debate or anything, I'm just personally weighing the pros and cons. I noticed that on KDE I can see the battery status on my laptop, whereas on Gnome I can't find it at all. I also like the general feel of the KDE desktop a little better (likely just because I'm used to Windows). However, Gnome is a little faster, and I get the feeling that it is more "mainstream," with the majority of Linux users using it (that's one main reason I'd like to stick with it).
Basically I'm wondering which one has a better future. Which will become or remain the mainstream and have the most support?

Hmm... I guess that's it. If anyone can think of anything else to add that I left out, go ahead, please.

startx

#2 Post by startx »

This isn't to start a debate or anything,
might be better, yeah ;)
I noticed that on KDE I can see the battery status on my laptop, whereas on Gnome I can't find it at all.
there are hundreds of applets for gnome, battery status as well of course.
Basically I'm wondering which one has a better future.
nobody knows. they will have different futures. none will be better than the other, i guess. both are supported by communities (and some big companies as well) big enough to ensure a support and developement for at least several years.
debian squeeze for everyday life, many other versions for the rest

Terje

#3 Post by Terje »

hm I thought Gnome was loosing users and KDE was getting more and more, but I started of with KDE and came to gnome and never left it. Sometimes I install another desktop environment but I always come back to gnome.

When you want to make a choise of wich one to use, just try them both out a lot. That's the best way to make a choise. Nobody can really tell you wich is better since it differs for every user, that's why both environments have a large number of users ( and some other DE's too).

If there's something you find in the one desktop you miss in the other one, you can always ask that question here, cause both desktops have more or less the same features I guess.
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

xequence

#4 Post by xequence »

I prefer gnome, but I also like KDE. To me the KDE applications seem part of the DE, not seperate. amaroK is a GREAT KDE music player.

Though it does seem that KDE is more popular, coming included in more distros then gnome is.

sensovision

#5 Post by sensovision »

when I first install Linux I found KDE more easy to use, better looking but I had Gnome installed too, and with the time I've found that it works much more stable, almost all application I'm using are built using GTK except klipper and k3b and it could be customized to look cool as well(I just didn't knew how to do this first). Now GNOME is my desktop of choice and I only use k3b and klipper from KDE. But I've to admit that I like new KDE look, although it never makes me merge there...
Denis

pony-tail

#6 Post by pony-tail »

I have used both and personally prefer KDE (prefer not to use Gnome at all if possible)
but that is just personal preference - my friens mostly prefer gnome - except for one oddball
who uses enlightenment . They all can be configured to do the job - its just a matter of which one suits you best .

grautu

Re: Gnome vs. KDE

#7 Post by grautu »

About GNOME:
RWIndiana wrote:I get the feeling that it is more "mainstream," with the majority of Linux users using it (that's one main reason I'd like to stick with it).
Basically I'm wondering which one has a better future. Which will become or remain the mainstream and have the most support?
Remark: Slackware team ceased to offer GNOME in its 10.2 distribution.

Terje

#8 Post by Terje »

Yet Ubuntu chose in the first place for Gnome (ubuntu cd's are even free to get send to your home) and only have kubuntu available for download.

So don't know if the slackware thing counts as a prediction more distro's will drop gnome in the 'near' future.
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

pony-tail

#9 Post by pony-tail »

I can not see Gnome dissapearing any time soon - it is just too popular for that to happen

sensovision

#10 Post by sensovision »

BTW what abotu Slackware, why they stop supporting GNOME? (I'm not reading news lately so wasn't even aware that they didn't ship Gnome from now)
Denis

b12

KDE vs GNOME

#11 Post by b12 »

Hi,

I am very new to Linux and Debian. About a month now. I am curious about others opinion on this subject as well.

I didn't know which to choose so I have been running KDE on a desktop machine and Gnome on my laptop. I find that so far I really prefer Gnome. Like you, I think Gnome runs a little faster, it seems much better about letting you do something else when a process bogs, I like the Gnome applets best(but I read a post to the affect that the project is abandoned?).

Two KDE apps I really like are Konqueror, which I run on Gnome, and Kedit. I haven't figured out how to disallow popups in Konqueror though.

Lastly, KDE's control center seems very nice to me compared to Gnome's. In fact, Gnome's seems incomplete and quirky, but being a newbie, I don't know if I didn't download everything or not or what.

I'd be very interested to here your views.

Good luck in your decision. :)

Mexican_Pirate

#12 Post by Mexican_Pirate »

I'm going with KDE, because I'm used to Windows, and want to start off slowly heading into the strange land of Linux.
Arr, ese!