Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multimedia player.... which one?!!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

Multimedia player.... which one?!!

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi all,

I'm new to linux but got Sarge running and slowly getting familiar! Could someon give me suggestions on which program to use to play mp3, watch movies (DVDs, AVI, MPEG).. basically a sort of 'windows mediaplayer' substitute??

I read about VLC, is this the best/easiest solution?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

anon

#2 Post by anon »

totem is included in the gnome desktop (noatun for kde) and if you install ffmpeg they will play most media files, you might also want to install all gstreamer-* packages. The benefit of doing this is that it's all in debian, no extra repositories. (Notably this setup won't play encrypted dvd's nor will menues/subtiitels work but you can play unencrypted *.vob files). If this isn't enough for your needs vlc is a good choice the other main candidate beeing mplayer I belive both need extra libraries to play encrypted, display menues on dvds.

xequence

#3 Post by xequence »

For gnome, rythmbox is my choice. It is always nice to have realplayer handy though if you dont want to start up rythmbox to listen to one song.

On kde, amaroK is AWESOME. If you like music, and use KDE, you need to try amaroK.