Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New to Debian - Screen Resoloution Problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
wagado

New to Debian - Screen Resoloution Problem

#1 Post by wagado »

I recenlty installed debian. I am totaly "green" to lunix, unix, x window, gnome and all this other stuff. So what I am saying is please answer in a way I can understand.

My probelm is screen resoloution. I have no choces except 640X480 and 60HZ. I've seen lots of info on editing the XF86Config file. I've tried to open this file with editors, but its a read only file. I've seen comments about "as root" I'm not clear what this means or how it works. Do i have to log in as root to edit this file?

By the way my moniter is a Dell 1704FP LCD.

Thanks in advance!

geoffb

Re: New to Debian - Screen Resoloution Problem

#2 Post by geoffb »

wagado wrote:My probelm is screen resoloution. I have no choces except 640X480 and 60HZ. ... By the way my moniter is a Dell 1704FP LCD.
What's your video card?
wagado wrote:I've seen lots of info on editing the XF86Config file. I've tried to open this file with editors, but its a read only file. I've seen comments about "as root" I'm not clear what this means or how it works. Do i have to log in as root to edit this file?
To become root (the first account you set up during the install), type `su` at the command line (without backticks). Enter the root password, and then you can continue as root. I think the problem, however, is that your video card is not properly configured yet. That was my problem, at least (same symptoms). Exercise caution when directly editing your xserver config file (it would probably be better to follow the commands, by entering `dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86`).

wagado

#3 Post by wagado »

OK Thanks.

Now every time i boot up I log into Gnome Desktop Manager. Where to I get to the command line? I've tried <ctrl><alt> Backspace and it just restarts the login screen.

I'm sure you are right about the video card setup, because I just selected VGA during setup. Now If I could just figure out the Linux Lingo I'd be farter ahead.

geoffb

#4 Post by geoffb »

wagado wrote:OK Thanks.

Now every time i boot up I log into Gnome Desktop Manager. Where to I get to the command line? I've tried <ctrl><alt> Backspace and it just restarts the login screen.
If you're in Gnome, there should be a terminal icon by default in the top toolbar. If not, hit Alt + F2 to get a command prompt.
wagado wrote:I'm sure you are right about the video card setup, because I just selected VGA during setup. Now If I could just figure out the Linux Lingo I'd be farter ahead.
Find out which video card you have (NVidia chipset, ATI chipset, etc.), and you can go from there.

#5 Post by Guest »

Now i've made things worse. I have a 4MB STB Nvida Riva Velocity 128 card in this machine. I've reconfigured using the dkpg command several times. using the nv selection and other resolutions. Now I can't even get back to the 640 graphical. I just get the error that the GUI cant load and a command prompt. Is there any way to auto identify the bus identifier of the graphic card. It asks for this in the confgurator and i put PCI:1,0,0 . I'm not sure if that is correct because this is an AGP card. I'm really lost here.

#6 Post by Guest »

Now i've made things worse. I have a 4MB STB Nvida Riva Velocity 128 card in this machine. I've reconfigured using the dkpg command several times. using the nv selection and other resolutions. Now I can't even get back to the 640 graphical. I just get the error that the GUI cant load and a command prompt. Is there any way to auto identify the bus identifier of the graphic card. It asks for this in the confgurator and i put PCI:1,0,0 . I'm not sure if that is correct because this is an AGP card. I'm really lost here.

wagado

#7 Post by wagado »

I've tried Ispci but get a commaned not found error