Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gimp 2.0pre3

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
MarkvD

Gimp 2.0pre3

#1 Post by MarkvD »

Does anyone know how I can make a backgroud transparent with the Gimp.

Looked almost everywhere but I can't find it.

Thanx
Last edited by MarkvD on 2004-03-07 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

pipio

#2 Post by pipio »

1. Open your image in the gimp.

2. Right click the image and go to LAYERS then ADD ALPHA CHANNEL. You won't notice anything happening, but don't be concerned. It basically adds a transparent layer at the bottom of your image so when we erase the colors.....it's shows the transparent layer. Which of course would show whatever was under it on the screen.

3. Right click on the image again and go to SELECT and then down to BY COLOR. A window that is all black opens up. Don't change any of the settings....just use the defaults for now.

4. Now click on the color in the image you want to be transparent. These colors will now show up outlined.

5. Right click on the image again and go to EDIT and then down to CLEAR. This should now erase the outlined color you just picked from the image and the "transparent gimp checkerbox" should show through. This is the Gimps way of showing you that section is now transparent.

6. Right click on the image and choose SAVE AS and make sure to save as a GIF file if you want the transparency to work on the web.

PS: copied this from http://www.aplawrence.com

I hope this works for you.

MarkvD

#3 Post by MarkvD »

Thanks for you fast reply. That is exactly where I'm looking for.