Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Totem keeps crashing?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sparky

Totem keeps crashing?

#1 Post by sparky »

Hi everyone, I am jsut getting to grips with Debian Sarge 31r0a kernal version 2.6.

I guess the 1st thing I wana get sorted out is Totem, whenever I try to play a video file it keeps crashing?? It just comes up with "Totem has unexpectidley quite"

Can anyone help with this: - I have also installed ffmpeg aswell!

Strangely enough if I leave the error up it manages to play videos but with no sound?

Thanx

geoffb

Re: Totem keeps crashing?

#2 Post by geoffb »

sparky wrote:Hi everyone, I am jsut getting to grips with Debian Sarge 31r0a kernal version 2.6.

I guess the 1st thing I wana get sorted out is Totem, whenever I try to play a video file it keeps crashing?? It just comes up with "Totem has unexpectidley quite"

Can anyone help with this: - I have also installed ffmpeg aswell!

Strangely enough if I leave the error up it manages to play videos but with no sound?

Thanx
What does the log file say?

Can you use other DVD players, like MPlayer?

sparky

#3 Post by sparky »

I don't know where the log file is (I am still new to Debian and Linux - sorry!)?

Also I tried to install MPlayer - normally not Debian script - but I think it came up with a few errors upon install even though it did install but crashed after trying to play files! Also the graphic version gmplayer didn't work at all - the command was not recognized. :cry:

meneerjansen (a guest)

#4 Post by meneerjansen (a guest) »

Does your sound card work properly? Are there special drivers for your video card? If its an ATI or NVidia based card, surf to their website, download driver and install.
If its a Ati card: run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" anyway and choose "medium" when asked. After that run "dexconf" to write your new xfree86config-4 file to disk. My ATI card did not give a proper "overlay" after installing the official Ati driver. You need overlay very often to watch movies...

sparky

#5 Post by sparky »

My sound card works fine I think as I can play MP3's and audio CD's, also I can play streaming music from the web!

My graphics card is an Intel based chip I think the 855GME with 64MB shared video memory, but on drivers I put VESA as it didn't have any one for my card - the nearest being the i 810!

If I log in as root the Xserver seems to be fine but if I log in as myself it keeps saying that it isn't configured properly! Could this be the case?