Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

File manager suggestions?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fEsTiDiOuS

Re: File manager suggestions?

#76 Post by fEsTiDiOuS »

I know this discussion is like 13 years old, but I'm using Debian 10, and it comes with the "Files" file manager version 3.30.5-stable - And for the life of me I can't figure out how to create a new directory. I've been using Debian for about a year now and every once and a while I find the mystery meat button or click that lets me make a new directory, but usually I just open a terminal and make the folders on the command line. -- Seriously not trying to troll; but the OP has a real point, in general Linux file managers all have some super annoying critical flaw. Every few years the file manager Du Jour gets thrown out for the new hottness and we end up with some other new super annoying "feature". -- We as a community should net be afraid to call out these problems, and to look for solutions.

Ha found it! You have to click on the last part of the path, the name of the directory you are currently in. IMHO this is terrible UI design. The displayed path has an obvious purpose, to tell you what directory you are examining the contents of. If _PART_ of the displayed path is also a button it needs some sort of visual clue that it is also a menu item. - Seriously heinous mystery meat.

Second Edit: Ok there is a little arrow there. It still sucks. There is a clearly defined area to the right of the address bar with buttons, one of which is also a little arrow. It is a break in continuity for there to be a button hidden in the address bar. The arrow in the address bar seems to be there to direct the eye downward to the list of files, I kind of see what the creator was going for but it really fails.

eor2004

Re:

#77 Post by eor2004 »

Issyer wrote:
souneedalink wrote:Do you even use linux?
No, I don't know how. I am such a n00b. I hope you, guys, will teach me. Where is that button with Internet Explorer? When I click on the little square in the lower left corner, it should pop up at the top but doesn't.
By looking at the user profile I think he or she is being sarcastic, I thought a lot more people in here would catch that, LOL :) !
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#78 Post by oswaldkelso »

Back on topic :-)

I install 3 file managers off the bat not including the terminal ( pushd and popd ). THREE I hear you shout!
Yes 3. Why I hear you shout! Because all thee offer different capabilities.

MC midnight for when I have no X
RoxFiler as a general browser. Been using it since 2005 and it's the dogs danglies
Spacefm. Loads of features. I use it because it ties in nicely with udevil. And the 4 pane with each pane being able to be set for differing configs make it super powerful for frequently re-visited directories. The multi tab per pane make it super useful.

I use RoxFiler as my fast single pane browser and Spacefm for things like torrents where many directories need to be organised.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

dice

#79 Post by dice »

oswaldkelso wrote:Back on topic :-)

I install 3 file managers off the bat not including the terminal ( pushd and popd ). THREE I hear you shout!
Yes 3. Why I hear you shout! Because all thee offer different capabilities.

MC midnight for when I have no X
RoxFiler as a general browser. Been using it since 2005 and it's the dogs danglies
Spacefm. Loads of features. I use it because it ties in nicely with udevil. And the 4 pane with each pane being able to be set for differing configs make it super powerful for frequently re-visited directories. The multi tab per pane make it super useful.

I use RoxFiler as my fast single pane browser and Spacefm for things like torrents where many directories need to be organised.
Spacefm ticks all the boxes for me too, i recently found out i can run fsarchiver backup as a right click root menu item on internal and external drives in the devices area. I can also mount dm-crypt drives using pmount inside spacefm as well.