Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Playing Windows Media files in Linux

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Glenn_Condrey

Playing Windows Media files in Linux

#1 Post by Glenn_Condrey »

I was wondering if is possible to listen to WIndows Media files in linux.
I listen to www.rock103.com in windows....and I want to completely switch over to my debian desktop.
My problems begin and end with the firefox browser not supporting windows media....
Is there any way to make firefox play nice with windows media content?? (ie mpeg clips or internet radio)?
Glenn Condrey

geoffb

Re: Playing Windows Media files in Linux

#2 Post by geoffb »

Glenn_Condrey wrote:I was wondering if is possible to listen to WIndows Media files in linux.
I listen to www.rock103.com in windows....and I want to completely switch over to my debian desktop.
My problems begin and end with the firefox browser not supporting windows media....
Is there any way to make firefox play nice with windows media content?? (ie mpeg clips or internet radio)?
Glenn Condrey
Do you have the codecs installed yet, and simply need to integrate them into Firefox? Or are you working with a carte blanche?

See this page for the codecs.
This thread might help, too.

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

If you want to listen (or record) internet radio you can use streamtuner.
# apt-get install streamripper libmikmod2 streamtuner

Glenn Condrey

Re: Playing Windows Media files in Linux

#4 Post by Glenn Condrey »

geoffb wrote:
Glenn_Condrey wrote:I was wondering if is possible to listen to WIndows Media files in linux.
Glenn Condrey
Do you have the codecs installed yet, and simply need to integrate them into Firefox? Or are you working with a carte blanche?

See this page for the codecs.
This thread might help, too.

Yeah...one of the first things I install when I put any flavor of linux on my box..... is to install the w32codecs, along with dvd decoders so I can watch video files.
Some sites will allow me to play streaming content through my Xine player.... they say you need Windows Media compatible players to listen to their content...but I have no trouble playing or watching content.
Yet another station will not allow anything but a Windows Media player to be used to play their content...... seems like they'd all have one set of software that they will allow to access their sites....

Glenn

Glenn Condrey

#5 Post by Glenn Condrey »

dawgie wrote:If you want to listen (or record) internet radio you can use streamtuner.
# apt-get install streamripper libmikmod2 streamtuner
I have that..and I use it....its just that I want to listen to local stations....and streamcast doesn't have a viable homepage.
You cannot go to www.nongnu.org/streamcast/ ..... it doesn't exist anymore or isn't supported.
Also there is no help file on how to configure streamtuner to play local files....
If I could configure it to play local stations.. I wouldn't worry about wmv files at all. I'd just continue to use a dual boot solution.
Its jus that my goal is to completely go linux 100%.
Glenn

PS Thanks to everyone who responded and have me some more ideas to look at and to try.....

anon

#6 Post by anon »

I'm using mozilla (still), with mozplugger this lets mozilla use a number of players as plugins and I can listan to www.rock103.com just fine. Among the codecs I have installed you might want to note ffmpeg from debian/main and w32codecs from marillats repository:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main