Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to update KDE in Debian Linux?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
plazzmex

How to update KDE in Debian Linux?

#1 Post by plazzmex »

Help...
I use KDE versions 3.3.2
And I need KDE Version 3.5
On a site "www.kde.org" special packages for Debian has not found...
Has found packages in this site:

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/

But all the same I dont know how to install them?!?!
Download all of them and install with kPackage?
But there are files and with other expansion except for ".deb"
For example: ".diff.gz" ".dsc" ".changes" ".tar.gz" and others...

And still a question...
It is impossible in KDE 3.3.2 to start the program kPackage from user ROOT?!!?!
How I Start It??

Thanks for advice!

Penguin Skinner

#2 Post by Penguin Skinner »

This could prove to be a bit of a problematic upgrade for you, but here's the info you've requested:

First, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ ./
(Note that deb-src from alioth appears to be unavailable; however you won't need it for what you're wanting to do.)

Then edit or create the file /etc/apt/preferences with the following:

Package: *
Pin: origin pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org
Pin-Priority: 990
Finally, run 'apt-get update'. Now you'll be ready to do your 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or smart upgrade using Synaptic.

Please realize, however, that Debian unstable has been undergoing some (more) significant changes lately, as discussed here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00010.html

Things look to be in pretty good order now, but just to be safe, I strongly suggest you do a simulated upgrade - 'apt-get -s dist-grade' - to see if anything you need is at risk of being removed during the process.

Re: kpackage ... I don't use it, but I would think it could only be run with root privileges, just like Synaptic. No idea what the problem is ... :?

BTW ... KDE 3.5 is truly impressive, not only looks very nice, but overall performance seems much better. Well worth a little time and trouble (hopefully no big trouble) to install.

Best of luck!

RWIndiana

#3 Post by RWIndiana »

Could you explain the pin thing? I'm tempted to try to upgrade to KDE 3.5. I have my sources on 'testing' right now, though I only update packages as I need to so really I'm still running mainly 'stable' packages (I have maybe 10-20 'testing' packages installed). Not sure if that would cause me grief or not.

Now, considering that screenshots of 3.5 look exactly like 3.3 (to me), what is the difference?

Penguin Skinner

#4 Post by Penguin Skinner »

Not to sound like I'm trying to politely say 'RTFM' ;) ... but apt preferences and pinning can get a bit involved, depending on what you're trying to do, so I'd suggest looking at the man page for apt_preferences. Also there's lots of info out there on the web. FWIW, my /etc/apt/preferences file on my sid install contains nothing but the lines I've shown here, above (and my testing install has no preferences file at all) but your needs may be different than mine.

I was very much a doubter about KDE 3.5: didn't think the screenshots looked all that impressive either, and figured all the people saying how good the performance is were the same ones who thought 3.4 was a lot faster than 3.3, when I could see no improvement there whatsoever. In fact, the only thing remarkable IMO about KDE 3.4 was that the clock was better behaved. :)

But KDE 3.5 ... well, I am really impressed. Honestly. I'm not big on eye candy, but something about 3.5 just looks very, very sharp, and extremely professional. And the performance really seems to be there this time - apps launch noticeably faster, everything seems very snappy, and overall, the desktop 'just behaves right.' The only little bug I've noticed is the desktop pager loses the 'window thumbnails' setting on shutdown/restart.

I think it's fair to say that upgrading your mixed stable-testing system to KDE 3.5 at this time would be a fairly major upgrade. The recent KDE C++ ABI transition was a huge undertaking, lots of packages recompiled. I honestly don't know if you'll be able to install 3.5 without pretty much upgrading to sid/unstable. But I can at least tell you, sid and KDE 3.5 are working very well indeed for me. YMMV, of course.

Best regards! Let us know if you decide to give it a go.

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks! We newbies (and semi-newbies) don't mind a polite "RT*M" now and then, it's the rude ones from those who act as if they've never been a n00b that are annoying!

You know, the only thing I don't like about man pages is that one must read the entire thing for any bit of it to make sense! Very annoying and yet efficient at the same time. I guess that is best.

A really stupid question: I know that unstable and testing (at least I *think* testing is also involved, since I have had some dependency problems lately) have been going through this big update . . . what does ABI mean?

So, you think I might have problems if I simply try to install KDE alone and not update the whole system? I do have a 2.6.14 kernel, though I'm not sure whether that would help.

Here's a somewhat unrelated question: how can those end-users running unstable (or testing, for that matter) tell before-hand when they will crash and burn major parts of their system (such as KDE) by trying to update when the archives are going through an update such as the recent one with KDE? Accidentally broke KDE on a friend's laptop by trying to download kdebluetooth, which needed to update kde as well. It just deleted the whole thing and couldn't re-install. Is there an early warning system of some kind? :D

Penguin Skinner

#6 Post by Penguin Skinner »

At the most important level, I think we're all newbies, all our lives. The most capable person is usually the one who knows when, what, and who to ask.

ABI = application binary interface. And this non-coder definitely ain't the right guy to ask :) ... tho' maybe this will offer some insight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applicatio ... _interface

I know the new udev/hal/dbus implementation requires kernel 2.6.12 or greater, so that's good, but I'd really be guessing as to what else will need to be upgraded. Probably a lot.

Which leads right into your last question ... I do a lot of trial runs before doing any kind of major upgrade, and one way is just using the '-s' argument with apt-get. Doing this:

apt-get -s dist-upgrade > upgrade.txt
produces a text file, 'upgrade.txt' telling you every package that will be removed, upgraded, and/or installed by a dist-upgrade. For example, just a few days ago, K3b would have been removed on my system, so I decided to hold off at that point.

Another way to do the same thing is with Synaptic: after updating your package information, you can 'Mark All Upgrades', and then when you select 'Apply' Synaptic will tell you every action that will be taken. If something looks bad, just hit cancel.

Of course I always make sure to have a current, full system backup available before doing a significant upgrade like this. Using either tar or partimage it's fast and easy ... also having a backup or 'parallel' install on another partition makes this kind of experimenting with the bleeding edge a lot less risky; my (mostly) testing install is nothing but a clone of my sid install I did a few months ago.

Anyway, I was going to start a new thread today about KDE 3.5 before finding plazzmex's questions posted here. I truly like it that much, and think many others will, too. In fact, I think KDE 3.5 is going to make a lot of Windows users and holdouts, both personal and corporate, really take another look. IMO the KDE team has done an outstanding job.

Good luck!

RWIndiana

#7 Post by RWIndiana »

Penguin Skinner wrote: Anyway, I was going to start a new thread today about KDE 3.5 before finding plazzmex's questions posted here. I truly like it that much, and think many others will, too.
You're getting me all excited now! Okay, I'll give it a shot. If I have problems, I'll wait a while I guess.

I just did a full system backup with Acronis trueimage today, but is there a more convenient way of doing this? It'd be nice to, perhaps, simply "cp" everything to a server - which leads to another question: can a server be accessed from the terminal (samba)? And can I just "cp" everything back the way it was if I need to? I'm not sure if I should make another thread for these questions or not. :?
In fact, I think KDE 3.5 is going to make a lot of Windows users and holdouts, both personal and corporate, really take another look. IMO the KDE team has done an outstanding job.
The more people switch to Linux the better, right? :) I already convinced a fellow computer-geek friend to switch. That was WAY too easy. All I had to do was get him to use it for a little while and he was pretty much hooked. There's so much more you can do with Linux and KDE (or Gnome) than Windows, unless you've got money that you don't know what to do with!

plazzmex

i dont understand something ..

#8 Post by plazzmex »

Penguin Skinner wrote:This could prove to be a bit of a problematic upgrade for you, but here's the info you've requested:

First, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.5.0/ ./
(Note that deb-src from alioth appears to be unavailable; however you won't need it for what you're wanting to do.)

Then edit or create the file /etc/apt/preferences with the following:

Package: *
Pin: origin pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org
Pin-Priority: 990
Finally, run 'apt-get update'. Now you'll be ready to do your 'apt-get dist-upgrade' or smart upgrade using Synaptic.
Thats all ??? after that i will have a new 3.5 KDE ???
wait a second. - i new for linux and i dont understand what i need to do with "apt-get update"??? how i do the KDE upgrade in this programm ? i dont need to quit the KDE when i do the upgrade ? what i need to type in this programm to do the upgrade ? and when i find this programm ? i dont see it in the programm menu in KDE !
And why i need Synaptic ? i Need to do the upgrade with "apt-get-update" and with "synaptic" ? or just one of them ??
and what need to be the end of the "/etc/apt/preferences" file ? preferences.list ? preferences.---??

Things look to be in pretty good order now, but just to be safe, I strongly suggest you do a simulated upgrade - 'apt-get -s dist-grade' - to see if anything you need is at risk of being removed during the process.
I Didnt understand this sentense ... ?
And one question..
The programmes i have installed in KDE 3.3 will erase in new KDE 3.5 and i will need to install them again ?

Best of luck!

And sorry if my english bad :roll:

Penguin Skinner

#9 Post by Penguin Skinner »

plazzmex - let's see if I can answer most your questions with a general explanation.

Debian provides a number of tools for managing packages - the software installed on your system. As the Debian FAQ says, "apt-get provides a simple way to retrieve and install packages from multiple sources using the command line."

apt-get may be simple, but it is an extremely powerful tool. Depending on how often you upgrade your system, doing an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' can literally upgrade hundreds of software packages at once, taking care of all dependencies and making sure (most all of the time, anyway) that everything will work and 'play nice together.'

You don't need to quit KDE to use apt-get: just open a terminal window under KDE (konsole) and you can work from there. Personally, I think it's a little safer to quit KDE and work from the Linux shell, but I've never had a problem using apt-get from a KDE terminal.

I mentioned Synaptic, which is really just a graphical front end for apt-get. Sorry if that was confusing. Think of Synaptic as just another way of using apt-get. Doing a 'smart upgrade' under Synaptic is the same as doing 'apt-get dist-upgrade' from a command line. You choose whichever you like best. You don't even need Synaptic installed to use apt-get.

I mentioned using 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' and in particular doing 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade > upgrade.txt' What this does is give you a text file, 'upgrade.txt' that you can open with a text viewer or editor ... this way you can really look over everything that will happen if you do a dist-upgrade. Pay close attention to the packages that will be removed - if there are applications you need that are going to be uninstalled, you may not want to upgrade, and wait till later.

The basic steps needed to install KDE 3.5 are actually quite simple:

- edit /etc/apt/sources.list as described
- edit or create /etc/apt/preferences
- do 'apt-get update' to update your package lists
- do a trial run with 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' to see what's going to happen
- and, finally, if things look good, do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'

If all goes well, KDE 3.3 will be replaced with KDE 3.5, and every application and library that needs to be upgraded on your system will be taken care of. When you restart KDE, you should have all the same applications you did before, plus all the new features of KDE 3.5. There shouldn't be anything that you'll need to reinstall separately.

Again ... best of luck!

RWIndiana - having never used Samba, I can't help on that.

I've never used Acronis, but am generally familiar with it and other disk/partition imaging tools. It's hard to say what's 'easier' because that just depends on a lot of things.

You actually can copy a Linux installation to another drive or partition using 'cp' ... of course you need to use the command line options to retain file permissions, copy recursively, etc., but it does work, and I've even known people to do it from a live file system - i.e. copy files from the system while it's running.

Personally, I think it's much better to do backups of non-live file systems, booting from a LiveCD or Linux installed on a different drive/partition. The tools I use are good ol' tar, partimage, and ntfsclone for my Windows install (ntfsclone just blows my mind how fast it is.) I keep all backups on an USB hard drive. If you use reiserfs, tar has the added advantage of completely defragging the file system when you do a restore; also, you can recover individual files and directories as needed if you use tar for backup.

As for encouraging people to switch to Linux, I am something of an advocate, but also think there are advantages to being in the minority. As long as the majority uses Windows, hackers and wormers aren't going to pay as much attention to us Linux folks. :) I also like the way open source works today, sort of the 'bazaar approach' to software development, with developers all around the world contributing - like our moderator, Jeroen, I believe. The bigger Linux gets, the more and more interest it'll receive from commercial interests ... which is a good thing, up to a point, but I also think there's a risk that, someday, big business could get too involved, creating it's own set of problems.

I hope you get KDE 3.5 installed. I believe you'll be very impressed.

Best Regards!

RWIndiana

#10 Post by RWIndiana »

Penguin Skinner wrote: As for encouraging people to switch to Linux, I am something of an advocate, but also think there are advantages to being in the minority. As long as the majority uses Windows, hackers and wormers aren't going to pay as much attention to us Linux folks. :)
Now now, we can't have that attitude. We've got BSD to compete with. We have to stay ahead! Ha. :)

Anyway, I do agree. The minority won't get as much attention. But, as long as it stays open-source and free, I think hackers will be less likely to do bad things to Linux, even if it becomes very big. I could be wrong though.

RWIndiana

#11 Post by RWIndiana »

okay, I've added the KDE 3.5 link to my sources, and created the preferences file as specified. It tells me that it's going to remove just about everything including konqueror and the kitchen sync (pun intended)! Must I have it pointing to "unstable" before doing a dist-upgrade? Or is there another way around? Why would it remove KDE when doing an upgrade instead of either upgrading it or skipping it?

Here's what the first two sections look like when I do a simulated dist-upgrade:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
akode ark artsbuilder capplets dcoprss hotplug juk kaboodle kaddressbook
kalarm kamera kandy kappfinder karm kate kaudiocreator kcalc kcharselect
kcmlinuz kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kde-core kdeadmin
kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdeartwork kdeartwork-style kdeartwork-theme-window
kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics kdegraphics-kfile-plugins
kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs4 kdelirc kdemultimedia
kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdepasswd kdepim
kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop
kdessh kdeutils kdf kdict kdvi kedit kfax kfind kfloppy kgamma kget
kghostview kgpg khelpcenter khexedit kicker kiconedit kitchensync kjots
klaptopdaemon kleopatra klipper kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmid kmilo kmix
kmrml knewsticker knode knotes kolourpaint konqueror konqueror-nsplugins
konsole konsolekalendar kontact kooka kopete korganizer korn kpackage kpager
kpdf kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec kregexpeditor krfb
kruler kscd kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers ksim ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot
ksplash ksvg ksync ksysguard ksysv ktimer ktip ktnef kuickshow kuser kview
kviewshell kwalletmanager kwifimanager kwin libarts1 libarts1-xine libgc1
libgksuui1.0-0 libgtop2-2 libkcal2a libkcddb1 libkdenetwork2 libkdepim1
libkgantt0 libkleopatra0a libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1
libkscan1 libksieve0 libmodplug0 libmusicbrainz4 libnautilus2-2 libopenexr2
libopenh323-1.15.2 libosp4 libostyle1 libpt-1.8.3 libqt3c102-mt librss1
libsigc++-1.2-5c102 libtunepimp2 nautilus-media noatun secpolicy
x-window-system-core xlibmesa-glu
The following NEW packages will be installed:
ca-certificates dmidecode evolution evolution-data-server gconf2-common
gnome-backgrounds gnome-doc-utils gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet
gnome-nettool gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal-data gs-esp
gstreamer0.8-cdparanoia gtkhtml3.6 iso-codes kdeartwork-emoticons
laptop-detect libakode2 libarts1c2a libaspell15c2 libbind9-0 libbluetooth1
libcamel1.2-0 libcompfaceg1 libcupsys2 libdmx1 libdns20 libebook1.2-3
libecal1.2-2 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-1 libedataserver1.2-4
libedataserverui1.2-4 libedit2 libegroupwise1.2-5 libexif12 libflac7 libfs6
libgal2.4-0 libgal2.4-common libgc1c2 libgksuui1.0-1 libglib1.2 libglu1-xorg
libgmp3c2 libgnokii2 libgnome-menu0 libgnome-pilot2 libgnutls12 libgtk1.2
libgtk1.2-common libgtkhtml3.6-18 libgtkspell0 libgtop2-5 libisc9 libisccfg1
libjack0.100.0-0 liblircclient0 libltdl3 liblua50 liblualib50 libmagick9
libmeanwhile0 libmodplug0c2 libmusicbrainz4c2 libnautilus-burn1
libnautilus-extension1 liboggflac3 liboil0.3 libopenexr2c2
libopenh323-1.15.3c2 libosp4c2 libostyle1c2 libpisync0 libpoppler0c2
libpoppler0c2-qt libpt-1.8.3c2 libqt3-mt libsasl2-modules libsepol1
libsigc++-1.2-5c2 libslang2 libsnmp9 libsoup2.2-8 libssl0.9.8 libtunepimp2c2
libwnck16 libxau6 libxaw8 libxcomposite1 libxdamage1 libxdmcp6 libxfixes3
libxinerama1 libxkbfile1 libxkbui1 libxklavier10 libxml2-utils libxss1
libxxf86dga1 libxxf86misc1 libxxf86vm1 lsb-base openssh-client openssh-server
perl-suid postgresql-7.4 postgresql-client-7.4 postgresql-common
python-gnome2-extras python-libxml2 python-xml python2.3-gnome2-extras
python2.3-libxml2 python2.3-xml readline-common sound-juicer
system-tools-backends tex-common totem totem-xine unzip vino x11-common xmms

Penguin Skinner

#12 Post by Penguin Skinner »

That's kind of what I expected - if kdelibs is going to be removed rather than upgraded, you'd be 'upgrading' to no KDE at all. :(

Add unstable to your sources, and see what 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' reports. It's going to be a major upgrade - 300-400 packages or more, I'm guessing - but you should be able to tell if it's going to work.

Some of the KDE names make me laugh, too.

Out of curiosity, I'm going to kind of 'mirror' what you're doing on my testing install.

And BTW ... you don't want to get me going on FreeBSD, which is what I started out with in the *nix world. Suffice it to say, FreeBSD has a *lot* to do with why I like Debian so much (imagine yourself spending 6 hours or so building native Java from source, just so you can have JRE and a browser plugin ... and that's if all goes well and the @#%^*&! thing builds.)

Penguin Skinner

#13 Post by Penguin Skinner »

OK, RW ... I just checked it out on my Debian testing install, and as expected, upgrading to sid/unstable is necessary (which, if you think about it, is pretty obvious.)

Just adding the alioth KDE 3.5 packages to my sources, dist-upgrade reports a disaster waiting to happen, just like you posted:

akregator ark dbus-qt-1c2 dcoprss k3b k3blibs kamera kappfinder kate
  kaudiocreator kcharselect kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdeaddons-kfile-plugins
  kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins
  kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs4c2
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdesktop kdict
  kedit kfax kfilereplace kfind kfloppy kghostview khelpcenter khexedit kicker
  kicker-applets klipper kmenuedit kmix kmrml kolourpaint konq-plugins
  konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kpager kpat kpdf kpoker kppp
  kregexpeditor kruler ksmserver ksnapshot ksvg ksysv ktimer ktnef kuickshow
  kuser kview kviewshell kweather kwin kxsldbg libkcal2b libkcddb1
  libkdegames1 libkdepim1a libkonq4 libktnef1 librss1 networkstatus secpolicy
Adding unstable to sources, everything looks good:

kdelibs4c2 libarts1c2 libmusicbrainz4c2 libopenexr2c2 libtag1c2
  libtunepimp2c2
  kdelibs4c2a libarts1c2a liblua50 liblualib50 libmusicbrainz4c2a
  libopenexr2c2a libpcap0.8 libpoppler0c2 libpoppler0c2-qt libtag1c2a
  libtunepimp2c2a
The following packages have been kept back:
  openoffice.org-writer
The following packages will be upgraded:
  adduser akregator alien alsa-utils apt apt-utils ark base-config binutils
  bzip2 cdrdao cdrecord chkrootkit console-common console-data console-tools
  coreutils cpp-4.0 dash dbus-1 dbus-glib-1 dbus-qt-1c2 dcoprss debconf
  debconf-i18n debconf-utils dhcp-client dictionaries-common discover1
  discover1-data dvd+rw-tools fastjar findutils g++-4.0 gcc-4.0 gcc-4.0-base
  gcj-4.0 gdb gij-4.0 grub imagemagick initscripts java-gcj-compat k3b k3blibs
  kamera kappfinder kate .... 

.... etc., etc., etc. ....

243 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 6 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
So there you go!

plazzmex

#14 Post by plazzmex »

Penguin Skinner wrote:OK, RW ... I just checked it out on my Debian testing install, and as expected, upgrading to sid/unstable is necessary (which, if you think about it, is pretty obvious.)

Just adding the alioth KDE 3.5 packages to my sources, dist-upgrade reports a disaster waiting to happen, just like you posted:

akregator ark dbus-qt-1c2 dcoprss k3b k3blibs kamera kappfinder kate
  kaudiocreator kcharselect kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdeaddons-kfile-plugins
  kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins
  kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs4c2
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdesktop kdict
  kedit kfax kfilereplace kfind kfloppy kghostview khelpcenter khexedit kicker
  kicker-applets klipper kmenuedit kmix kmrml kolourpaint konq-plugins
  konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kpager kpat kpdf kpoker kppp
  kregexpeditor kruler ksmserver ksnapshot ksvg ksysv ktimer ktnef kuickshow
  kuser kview kviewshell kweather kwin kxsldbg libkcal2b libkcddb1
  libkdegames1 libkdepim1a libkonq4 libktnef1 librss1 networkstatus secpolicy
Adding unstable to sources, everything looks good:

kdelibs4c2 libarts1c2 libmusicbrainz4c2 libopenexr2c2 libtag1c2
  libtunepimp2c2
  kdelibs4c2a libarts1c2a liblua50 liblualib50 libmusicbrainz4c2a
  libopenexr2c2a libpcap0.8 libpoppler0c2 libpoppler0c2-qt libtag1c2a
  libtunepimp2c2a
The following packages have been kept back:
  openoffice.org-writer
  adduser akregator alien alsa-utils apt apt-utils ark base-config binutils
  bzip2 cdrdao cdrecord chkrootkit console-common console-data console-tools
  coreutils cpp-4.0 dash dbus-1 dbus-glib-1 dbus-qt-1c2 dcoprss debconf
  debconf-i18n debconf-utils dhcp-client dictionaries-common discover1
  discover1-data dvd+rw-tools fastjar findutils g++-4.0 gcc-4.0 gcc-4.0-base
  gcj-4.0 gdb gij-4.0 grub imagemagick initscripts java-gcj-compat k3b k3blibs
  kamera kappfinder kate .... 

.... etc., etc., etc. ....

243 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 6 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
So there you go!
Me this does also concern ?
If Yes, i dont understand this... How i add unstable to sources?
Thanks for advice
And one Thing i forgot to say: I have a Sarge Debian

RWIndiana

#15 Post by RWIndiana »

Plazz, just make sure these lines are in your file located at /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian unstable  main contrib non-free
Along with the one Penguin Skinner prescribed.

Penguin Skinner (mind if I call you PS? :)), I changed to unstable and all looks good! As soon as I get near a high-speed connection I'll try to get that 500+ megabyte download! :shock:

Penguin Skinner

#16 Post by Penguin Skinner »

plazzmex - upgrading from Sarge to Sid is a pretty big step, and I believe you'll need kernel 2.6.12 or newer installed. But if you follow the steps outlined here, including adding the unstable sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list like RWIndiana shows, I see no reason it won't work.

RW - PS is cool with me. I'll be very interested in hearing back.

FWIW, it's wise to pay attention during the whole dist-upgrade process: sometimes a package fails to download, and you'll want to try fetching it again, then just re-start your apt-get dist-upgrade. Sometimes, too, a package may fail to install ... usually the error message makes it clear what needs to be done, and so again you can fix whatever it is, and restart the dist-upgrade.

Good luck, guys ... though with Debian package management, I don't think it really takes much luck at all, just a little common sense, and a bit of patience sometimes.

plazzmex

#17 Post by plazzmex »

I am Not sure that this is how it need to be:

akode capplets gnome gnome-office hotplug inkscape kcmlinuz kde-i18n-ru
  kdelibs4 libarts1 libenchant1 libgc1 libgksuui1.0-0 libglibmm-2.4-1
  libgnomecupsui1.0-1 libgtkmm-2.4-1 libgtop2-2 libkcal2a libkdenetwork2
  libkdepim1 libkleopatra0a libmimelib1a libmodplug0 libmusicbrainz4
  libmyspell3 libnautilus2-2 libopenexr2 libopenh323-1.15.2 libosp4 libostyle1
  libqt3c102-mt libsigc++-2.0-0 libstlport4.6 libtag1 libtunepimp2
  nautilus-media openoffice.org-bin openoffice.org-debian-files
  openoffice.org-l10n-en xlibmesa-glu
  akregator antlr bsh ca-certificates cpp-4.0 dbus-qt-1c2 debconf-utils
  debhelper dmidecode fastjar g++-4.0 gcc-4.0 gcc-4.0-base gconf2-common
  gdm-themes gij-4.0 gjdoc gnome-backgrounds gnome-doc-utils gnome-menus
  gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-terminal-data gstreamer0.8-cdparanoia gtkhtml3.6
  html2text intltool-debian java-common java-gcj-compat jikes kaffe
  kaffe-common kaffe-pthreads kdeartwork-emoticons kdelibs4c2a
  kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepim-kresources kfaxview knetworkconf
  laptop-detect libaa1 libakode2 libarts1-akode libarts1c2a libbind9-0
  libbluetooth1 libboost-python1.33.0c2a libcairo2 libcamel1.2-0 libcupsys2
  libdb4.3++c2 libdmx1 libdns20 libebook1.2-3 libecal1.2-2 libedata-book1.2-2
  libedata-cal1.2-1 libedataserver1.2-4 libedataserverui1.2-4 libedit2
  libegroupwise1.2-5 libenchant1c2 libexif12 libflac7 libfs6 libgal2.4-0
  libgal2.4-common libgc1c2 libgcj-common libgcj6 libgcj6-common libgksuui1.0-1
  libglu1-xorg libgmp3c2 libgnokii2 libgnome-menu0 libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a
  libgnucrypto-java libgnutls12 libgoffice-1-1 libgoffice-1-common libgsf-1-113
  libgsf-1-common libgsf-gnome-1-113 libgtkhtml3.6-18 libgtop2-5 libhsqldb-java
  libicu34 libindex0 libisc9 libisccc0 libisccfg1 libiw28 libjack0.100.0-0
  libjaxp1.2-java libjessie-java libjline-java libkcal2b libkdepim1a libkiten1
  libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libktnef1 liblockdev1 libltdl3 liblua50 liblualib50
  libmagick9 libmdbtools libmeanwhile0 libmimelib1c2a libmodplug0c2
  libmusicbrainz4c2a libmyspell3c2 libnautilus-burn1 libnautilus-extension1
  libneon24 liboggflac3 liboil0.3 libopenexr2c2a libopenh323-1.15.6 libosp4c2
  libostyle1c2 libpcap0.8 libpoppler0c2 libpoppler0c2-qt libportaudio0
  libpt-1.8.7 libqt3-mt libsasl2-modules libsepol1 libservlet2.3-java
  libsigc++-2.0-0c2a libslang2 libsndfile1 libsnmp9 libsoup2.2-8 libssl0.9.8
  libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.0-dev libstlport4.6c2 libtag1c2a libtunepimp2c2a
  libwnck16 libwpd8c2a libxalan2-java libxau6 libxaw8 libxcomposite1
  libxdamage1 libxdmcp6 libxerces2-java libxfixes3 libxinerama1 libxkbfile1
  libxkbui1 libxklavier10 libxml2-utils libxmlsec1 libxmlsec1-nss
  libxmlsec1-openssl libxss1 libxt-java libxxf86dga1 libxxf86misc1 libxxf86vm1
  lsb-base networkstatus odbcinst1debian1 openoffice.org-base
  openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core
  openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-java-common
  openoffice.org-l10n-en-us openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-writer
  openssh-client openssh-server openssl perl-suid po-debconf python-libxml2
  python-uno python2.3-libxml2 readline-common sound-juicer superkaramba
  system-tools-backends tex-common unzip x11-common xserver-xorg xsltproc zip
  abiword-common abiword-gnome adduser amor apt apt-utils aptitude ark arts
  artsbuilder at atlantik atlantikdesigner base-config base-files base-passwd
  bash bc bind9-host binutils bison bluefish bsdmainutils bsdutils bug-buddy
  bzip2 capplets-data cdrecord console-common console-cyrillic console-data
  console-terminus console-tools coreutils cpio cpp cpp-3.3 cron cvs dash
  dbus-1 dbus-glib-1 dc dcoprss debconf debconf-i18n debianutils desktop-base
  dhcp-client dia-common dia-gnome dia-libs dictionaries-common dirmngr
  discover1 discover1-data dnsutils doc-debian doc-linux-text docbook-xml
  dosfstools dpkg dpkg-dev dselect e2fslibs e2fsprogs edict eject eog
  epiphany-browser esound esound-common evolution evolution-data-server exim4
  exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light eyesapplet fam fdutils
  fifteenapplet file file-roller findutils finger flex fontconfig ftp g++
  g++-3.3 gcalctool gcc gcc-3.3 gcc-3.3-base gconf-editor gconf2 gdb gdm gedit
  gedit-common gettext gettext-base gimp gimp-data gksu gnome-about
  gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-core
  gnome-cups-manager gnome-desktop-data gnome-desktop-environment gnome-games
  gnome-games-data gnome-gv gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring gnome-media
  gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-system-monitor
  gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-themes gnome-themes-extras
  gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gnomemeeting gnumeric gnumeric-common gnupg
  gpdf grep groff-base grub gs gs-common gs-gpl gstreamer0.8-audiofile
  gstreamer0.8-flac gstreamer0.8-gnomevfs gstreamer0.8-mad gstreamer0.8-misc
  gstreamer0.8-oss gstreamer0.8-plugin-apps gstreamer0.8-tools
  gstreamer0.8-vorbis gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-industrial
  gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-mist gtk2-engines-pixbuf
  gtk2-engines-redmond95 gtk2-engines-spherecrystal gtk2-engines-thinice
  gucharmap guile-1.6-libs gzip hal hicolor-icon-theme hostname imagemagick
  imlib-base imlib11 info initrd-tools initscripts ipchains iptables
  iputils-ping iso-codes juk kaboodle kaddressbook kaddressbook-plugins kalarm
  kalzium kamera kandy kanjidic kappfinder karm kasteroids kate kate-plugins
  katomic kaudiocreator kbackgammon kbattleship kblackbox kbounce kbruch kcalc
  kcharselect kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kde kde-amusements kde-core
  kdeaddons kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdeartwork
  kdeartwork-misc kdeartwork-style kdeartwork-theme-icon
  kdeartwork-theme-window kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-kio-plugins
  kdeedu kdeedu-data kdegames kdegames-card-data kdegraphics
  kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelirc
  kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdepasswd kdepim
  kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop
  kdessh kdetoys kdeutils kdewallpapers kdewebdev kdf kdict kdvi kedit keduca
  kenolaba kfax kfilereplace kfind kfloppy kfouleggs kgamma kget kghostview
  kgoldrunner kgpg khangman khelpcenter khexedit kicker kicker-applets
  kiconedit kig kimagemapeditor kitchensync kiten kjots kjumpingcube
  klaptopdaemon klatin kleopatra klettres klettres-data klickety klines
  klinkstatus klipper kmahjongg kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmessedwords kmid
  kmilo kmines kmix kmoon kmplot kmrml knewsticker knewsticker-scripts knode
  knotes kodo kolf kolourpaint kommander konq-plugins konqueror
  konqueror-nsplugins konquest konsole konsolekalendar kontact konwert
  konwert-filters kooka kopete korganizer korn kpackage kpager kpat kpdf
  kpercentage kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kpoker kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec
  kregexpeditor kreversi krfb kruler ksame kscd kscreensaver
  kscreensaver-xsavers kshisen ksig ksim ksirc ksirtet ksmiletris ksmserver
  ksnake ksnapshot ksokoban kspaceduel ksplash kstars kstars-data ksvg ksync
  ksysguard ksysguardd ksysv kteatime ktimer ktip ktnef ktorrent ktouch ktron
  ktuberling kturtle ktux kuickshow kuser kverbos kview kviewshell kvoctrain
  kwalletmanager kweather kwifimanager kwin kwin4 kwordquiz kworldclock kxsldbg
  language-env less libacl1 libapt-pkg-perl libarts1-audiofile libarts1-mpeglib
  libarts1-xine libartsc0 libasound2 libaspell15 libatk1.0-0 libattr1 libaudio2
  libblkid1 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common
  libbz2-1.0 libc6 libc6-dev libcomerr2 libconsole libcupsys2-gnutls10 libcurl3
  libcvsservice0 libdb1-compat libdb3 libdb4.2 libdb4.3 libdiscover1 libdps1
  libeel2-2 libeel2-data libesd0 libevent1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6
  libfribidi0 libgadu3 libgail-common libgail17 libgcc1 libgconf2-4 libgcrypt11
  libgda2-3 libgda2-common libgimp2.0 libgksu1.2-0 libglade2-0 libglib1.2
  libglib2.0-0 libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-keyring0 libgnome-pilot2 libgnome2-0
  libgnome2-common libgnomecanvas2-0 libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomecups1.0-1
  libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-0
  libgnomeprintui2.2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0
  libgnomevfs2-common libgnutls11 libgpg-error0 libgpgme11 libgphoto2-2
  libgphoto2-port0 libgpmg1 libgstreamer-gconf0.8-0 libgstreamer-plugins0.8-0
  libgstreamer0.8-0 libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin
  libgtk2.0-common libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgucharmap4
  libguile-ltdl-1 libhal-storage0 libhal0 libhtml-parser-perl
  libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libice6 libid3tag0 libidn11 libkcddb1
  libkdeedu1 libkdegames1 libkgantt0 libkonq4 libkpimexchange1
  libkpimidentities1 libkrb53 libksba8 libkscan1 libksieve0 libldap-2.2-7
  libldap2 liblircclient0 liblocale-gettext-perl liblwres1 liblzo1 libmad0
  libmagic1 libmetacity0 libmime-perl libncurses5 libncursesw5 libnetpbm10
  libnews-nntpclient-perl libnewt0.51 libnspr4 libnss-db libnss3 libopencdk8
  libopenct1 libopensc1 liborbit2 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g
  libpanel-applet2-0 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libpcre3 libpcsclite1
  libperl5.8 libpisock8 libpisync0 libpng12-0 libpt-plugins-oss
  libpt-plugins-v4l2 libpth2 libqthreads-12 libreadline4 libreadline5
  librecode0 librss1 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsane libsasl2
  libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-oss libselinux1 libsensors3 libshout3 libslp1
  libsm6 libsmbclient libsnmp-base libspeex1 libss2 libssl0.9.7 libstdc++5
  libstdc++5-3.3-dev libsvga1 libsysfs1 libtasn1-2 libtext-charwidth-perl
  libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl libtextwrap1 libtiff-tools libtiff4
  libtimedate-perl libtunepimp-bin libungif4g libusb-0.1-4 libuuid1
  libvte-common libvte4 libwmf0.2-7 libwnck-common libx11-6 libxaw7 libxext6
  libxi6 libxine1 libxml2 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2
  libxrender1 libxslt1.1 libxt6 libxtrap6 libxtst6 libxv1 linux-kernel-headers
  locales login logrotate lpr lskat lsof m4 mailx make makedev man-db manpages
  manpages-dev manpages-ru mdetect menu menu-xdg metacity mime-support mkisofs
  module-init-tools modutils mount mozilla-browser mozilla-psm mpack mpeglib
  mtr-tiny mutt myspell-en-gb myspell-en-us nano nautilus nautilus-cd-burner
  nautilus-data ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term net-tools netbase
  netkit-inetd netpbm nfs-common noatun noatun-plugins openjade openoffice.org
  openoffice.org-l10n-ru passwd pciutils perl perl-base perl-modules pidentd
  pinentry-qt pkg-config planner portmap ppp pppoeconf procps psmisc psutils
  python python-gtk2 python-newt python2.3 python2.3-gtk2 python2.3-numeric
  quanta quanta-data rcs reportbug sane-utils secpolicy sed sharutils ssh
  strace sudo synaptic sysv-rc sysvinit t1-cyrillic t1-teams tar tasksel tcsh
  telnet texinfo totem totem-xine traceroute ttf-opensymbol ucf udev usbutils
  util-linux vim vim-common vim-gtk vimpart vino w3m wget whiptail whois
  x-window-system-core xbase-clients xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base
  xfonts-scalable xfree86-common xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl xlibs xlibs-data xmms
  xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xutils yelp
  zenity zlib1g
And When I type "apt-get update" This what i see in Console:

Err http://non-us.debian.org unstable/main Sources
  404 Not Found
Ign http://non-us.debian.org unstable/main Release
In Cache http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
In Cache http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Release
In Cache http://http.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages
In Cache http://http.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Release
In Cache http://http.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Packages
In Cache http://http.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Release
Err http://non-us.debian.org unstable/contrib Sources
  404 Not Found
Ign http://non-us.debian.org unstable/contrib Release
Err http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-free Sources
  404 Not Found
Ign http://non-us.debian.org unstable/non-free Release
In Cache http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org ./ Packages
Ign http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org ./ Release
Could not be loaded
http://non-us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/Sources.gz  404 Not Found
Could not be loaded
http://non-us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/source/Sources.gz  404 Not Found
Could not be loaded
http://non-us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/non-free/source/Sources.gz  404 Not Found

Reading the lists of packages... Done
E: Some index files did not load, they were ignored or instead of them they were used the old versions
what i need to do ?

plazzmex

#18 Post by plazzmex »

Anybody Know If this is what it need to be ?? (see my last post)

pigah

#19 Post by pigah »

yeah, remove the non-us from your sources. there really aren't anymore important applications in non-us.

plazzmex

#20 Post by plazzmex »

but what about the upgrade ???
the file that will be removed and the files that will be installed/upgraded ?
all is OK ?

p.s
And I need that kde will be in russian (language) interface...