Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Firefox 3

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Telemachus

#31 Post by Telemachus »

MeanDean wrote:
Telemachus wrote: Doesn't Debian also make it impossible to add plugins such as Java and Flash directly through the browser?
dont think so, that is how I usually add flash for my kids system...
Ah, right. In that case, I have no idea what he meant. Maybe he was complaining about Internotes? Just a thought...
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

muskrat

#32 Post by muskrat »

internote seems to work for me on iceweasel, not sure how it is suppose to function....
Yes it installs, without errors but doesn't work at all. It installs for me too. But won't function.

I don't believe that changing icons would effect it this way, Debian has branched thier browsers far enough from the tree, it will soon be another browsers altogether.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

MeanDean

#33 Post by MeanDean »

muskrat wrote: Yes it installs, without errors but doesn't work at all. It installs for me too. But won't function.
Mine installs and appears to function. I posted a screenshot. Could you tell me if the screenshot shows it correctly functioning? I can place little notes on my screen....is it suppose to do something else?
I don't believe that changing icons would effect it this way, Debian has branched thier browsers far enough from the tree, it will soon be another browsers altogether.
Can you show us the actual code differences? I know they set some different options - as far as I know some of the changes you can modify via about:config though. I am sure there are differences that are trivial but I would assume nothing major.

edit - Looks like the source code is over 40MB whereas the diff that debian applies is less than 1MB. http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/iceweasel/ Whether you consider that a big change or not is subjective I guess.

muskrat

#34 Post by muskrat »

Mine installs and appears to function. I posted a screenshot.
I'll have to try again to install it, maybe they fixed it. But I got so feed up with it I just left it off the last installs I've done. It would be nice if Debian keeps full compatibility with firefox. Especially if Debian is going to go around and saying Iceweasel is the SAME as Firefox.

As for code differences, I wouldn't Know, I'm just a humble PC repairman, not a coder, but I can tell when I feel differences one to the other, sometimes. But I would imagine one megabite of data in asci caractors is quite a bit of code isn't it?
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

rickh

#35 Post by rickh »

I'll have to try again to install it, maybe they fixed it. But I got so feed up with it I just left it off the last installs I've done. It would be nice if Debian keeps full compatibility with firefox. Especially if Debian is going to go around and saying Iceweasel is the SAME as Firefox.
I don't use it, but I have read from the developers many times that when Mozilla puts out a new version, they simply take it and add standard Debianization to it.

Why would they lie?
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

Ironman

#36 Post by Ironman »

Thanks for the tip alvaro, worked like a charm!

cyrus_

#37 Post by cyrus_ »

I am trying to install Firebox 3 but I need GTK 2.12 cause it tells me mine is to old. In order to get that on I need to get GLIB PANGO CAIRO and ATK. I did the first 3 but when I try to ./configure ATK I get the following error:
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.16.0, but GLIB (2.12.4)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is installed
*** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the file
*** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

I have done ./configure make make install for GLIB glib-2.16.0 twice now so I am confused.

Is there a way to do these using apt-get? I dont see a package for these. apt-get install glib doesnt work.

Any help is appreciated. If you need more info just let me know.

jdhore

#38 Post by jdhore »

cyrus_ wrote:I am trying to install Firebox 3 but I need GTK 2.12 cause it tells me mine is to old. In order to get that on I need to get GLIB PANGO CAIRO and ATK. I did the first 3 but when I try to ./configure ATK I get the following error:
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.16.0, but GLIB (2.12.4)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no
configure: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. If GLIB is installed
*** but not in the same location as pkg-config add the location of the file
*** glib-2.0.pc to the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

I have done ./configure make make install for GLIB glib-2.16.0 twice now so I am confused.

Is there a way to do these using apt-get? I dont see a package for these. apt-get install glib doesnt work.

Any help is appreciated. If you need more info just let me know.
Firefox 3 WILL NOT work on Etch without backporting at least GTK and glib.

apex.predator

#39 Post by apex.predator »

I removed Iceweasel (even though no complaints with it) and installed Firefox 3.0 yesterday. I installed following these instructions and it worked well.

Once installed, Firefox 3.0 had trouble loading images - loading them only partially or sometimes not at all. I'm back in Iceweasel 2.0.0.14.
Linux debian 2.6.26-2-686 | 5.0.1

SoCal

Installation success....

#40 Post by SoCal »

I posted this on other threads, but I'm excited to have finally got this working after much tweaking.

I'm running etch 64 bit... and iceweasel + nspluginwrapper gives me problems. nspluginwrapper seems to have some leak that causes it to hog CPU resources... eliminating any advantage to using 64 bit.

Anyhow, to run firefox3 binaries on etch 64:

go into to /etc/apt/sources.list and change "etch" to "lenny" everywhere

upgrade packages ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk (assuming you've them installed)... this will only upgrade them, and no dependency worries (unlike trying to update libgtk2 itself).

Then, change /etc/apt/sources.list back to 'etch' again...

and firefox3 should run just fine.

SoCal

Installation success....

#41 Post by SoCal »

I posted this on other threads, but I'm excited to have finally got this working after much tweaking.

I'm running etch 64 bit... and iceweasel + nspluginwrapper gives me problems. nspluginwrapper seems to have some leak that causes it to hog CPU resources... eliminating any advantage to using 64 bit.

Anyhow, to run firefox3 binaries (from mozilla, which are 32 bit) on etch 64:

go into to /etc/apt/sources.list and change "etch" to "lenny" everywhere

upgrade packages ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk (assuming you've them installed)... this will only upgrade them, and no dependency worries (unlike trying to update libgtk2 itself).

Then, change /etc/apt/sources.list back to 'etch' again...

and firefox3 should run just fine.

myle

#42 Post by myle »

I was helping a friend of mine with the installation of Debian testing in his computer. We used a dvd of the stable branch, and we changed the repositories to testing.
All have gone fine except that we can't install iceweasel 3. Why? I have done almost the same procedure I have it succesfully installed it in my computer. The only difference is that when I did it, there was only iceweasel 2 and I upgrade it afterwards.
The error is:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install firefox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 firefox: Depends: iceweasel (< 2.0.0.6-0etch1+lenny1.1~) but 3.0~rc2-2 is to be installed
E: Broken packages 
If he try to install iceweasel, then when he launch it, it doesn't work at all. It doesn't start at all.

EDIT: Problem fixed.

Eck

#43 Post by Eck »

Just updating iceweasel in Lenny will give you Iceweasel 3. It's the RC2 but I've read that there aren't any differences from 3 final and RC2 in their Linux and Windows packages. Since the RC2 was deemed ready it was moved from unstable into testing. Eventually I'm sure we'll get the current and future versions.

The firefox package in Debian is just a transitional package that installs Iceweasel 2 Perhaps they just haven't fixed the firefox package yet but it can't install Iceweasel 2 because it doesn't exist in the repo anymore. Just aptitude full-upgrade with the sources pointed to lenny or testing and if you have iceweasel installed you'll get upgraded to Iceweasel 3 RC2. If you don't have iceweasel at all then just install iceweasel and you'll still get that version.

Edit -
Ah! Not sure your "problem fixed" edit was there before I started replying. Cool. Glad it's fixed.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

nick-astro

#44 Post by nick-astro »

Hi,
Thanks for the instructions in this thread, just a couple of questions from a relative noob.

So I've extracted the firefox3 tar file and put the link in place, and updated the GTK libraries, but I don't get:
Telemachus wrote:A quick trick: I run both Iceweasel 2.0.0.14 and Firefox 3.5, and if you aren't careful they will screw up each other's profiles and preferences. So create two profiles, and change the startup commands in your menus to look like this:
iceweasel --no-remote -P telemachus
/opt/firefox/firefox --no-remote -P achilles
Your profile names and the location of your Firefox may vary :)

The -P option allows you to pick the profile you want to use, and the --no-remote option tells the browser not to connect to a "running" Iceweasel or Firefox. That allows you to run both browsers at one time and still keep your preferences clean.

For the record, though, I pretty much never open Iceweasel any more.
Where do i find the 'startup commands in your menus'? I haven't done this bit yet. So my second question is probably related to this, and is that when I type $ ffox3 to start firefox, iceweasel starts up instead. Any idea what is causing this? Have i missed something out?
Cheers!

fk

#45 Post by fk »

FireFox 3.0.8 out. Firefox 3.0.8 generally fixes two critical security issues found in Firefox 3.0.7.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3. ... easenotes/

Waiting for iceweasel 3.0.8 ? I think old versions have this bugs to.
I think current icewesel 3.0.7-1 in unstable just can't be stable at all, and must be replaced with 3.0.8