Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

XMMS

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

XMMS

#1 Post by Guest »

I'm having a problem getting sound from XMMS when playing mp3's. I can play CD's and hear them, just not mp3's. I've gone through all the settings on the alsamixer and can find nothing muted or set extremely low. Anyone seen this before?

I'm running sarge on a 2.6.8 kernel and have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card.

alsa ouput in xmms

#2 Post by Guest »

My guess would be that you are using the default oss plugin for xmms. There is an alsa plugin and an arts plugin that I know of, not sure if either is included, but your most probable error is that you aren't using a sound output driver that is compatible with your sound system.

#3 Post by Guest »

:D

Thanks for the reply.

I was already using the alsa plugin, as I'm using alsasound. You did point me in the right direction though. Under the configuration settings for the alsa plugin there were two hardware settings and for some reason the system defaulted to the wrong one. I don't know why as I only have one sound card, but that is what it did. I changed that and voila! I can now play mp3's with xmms. Don't know why but for some reason until you jogged me I hadn't thought about even checking to see if there were multiple hardware settings. I guess I just assumed there wouldn't be since I only have the one sound card.

Antsa

#4 Post by Antsa »

I am having a similiar problem. I made same changes as you with XMMS, and now it's working. But I can't get my sound working with The Ur-Quan Masters (or anywhere elsewhere). I can hear the sound, but it's very, very quiet. No, it's not the mixers. The same problem existed with XMMS, until I saw that there was multiple hardware settings. And the other one was wrong, and that's also default. How could I change the "system wide" default setting?

Plus, I'm having problem with Battle for Wesnoth. It says, that "can't open the /dev/sequenzer". Please, help needed here, anyone?