Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

X not starting?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Kasatka

X not starting?

#1 Post by Kasatka »

Ok, Before i begin i'm pretty much a complete linux newb. So you will have to walk me through with any help you can give.

Problem: Ok so i recently installed Debian (sarge) on an old gateway i have (pentium 1, 128mb ram, onboard video, 20gb HD, netgear ethernet card) with no problems. I used apt-get to download and install gnome. After doing so i used the startx command to start the GUI and it worked fine. One day, Bored. I wanted to try using debian on my better HP computer (AMD athlon XP 3000+, 1gb ram, Nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 video card, 160gb seagate HD, onboard ethernet) by taking the hard drive out of the gateway and replacing the seagate hard drive in the HP with it (Note: The hard drive is a 20gb western digital caviar). After logging in as root, i tried startx. It acts as if it's going to load (going to a black screen) but then it goes back to text mode and brings up some text. And at the bottom there is an error
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Anyone have any idea what i can do? Would it help if i reinstalled debian on the HP while the 20gb was in so maybe it would configure it for that computer? Any help is greatly appreciated

If you need any more info let me know, Kasatka

cyan

#2 Post by cyan »

I am not an expert on Debian but I suspected that your problem is that
the hardware difference between the two computers are substantial and
Debian is not able to start x server with the installed configuration. You
might try

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

command and go through the xserver configuration again.