Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

xmms gives me an error message

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ivan

xmms gives me an error message

#1 Post by ivan »

Hi!
When i try to listen my mp3 files i ve got next erro message:
ERROR:
Couldn't open audio.

Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected.
2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard.
3. Your soundcard is configured properly.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

Did you run alsaconf? If not, try to run it (you might need to install alsa-base and alsa-utils packages).

Additionally, you could configure XMMS output plugin by choosing alsa.

Cheers,

Domecq

ivan

#3 Post by ivan »

Hi domesq!
I could to solve a part of my problem.
I ran alsaconf without any problem. But when i select alsa like an output plugin i have in audio deveice:
1.default PCM device
2.Nvidia NForce2 (hw:0,0)
3.Nvidia NForce2 (hw:0,2)

So when i choose 1 and 2 i ve got the same error message that i ve posted but when i choose 3. it works i can select an mp3 to listen and there is no error message but i have no sound.
So i tried to check if this hapens with other media players. I ran juK and Noatun and they work good and i ve got a sound. The problem is only with xmms. I supose i ve got to specify the audio device changing (wh:0,0) but how to know which one is corect for me. I know that (hw:0,0) doesn't work and (hw:0,2) works but there is no sound. So how can i find the correct for my sound card?

ivan

#4 Post by ivan »

Hi domesq!
I could to solve a part of my problem.
I ran alsaconf without any problem. But when i select alsa like an output plugin i have in audio deveice:
1.default PCM device
2.Nvidia NForce2 (hw:0,0)
3.Nvidia NForce2 (hw:0,2)

So when i choose 1 and 2 i ve got the same error message that i ve posted but when i choose 3. it works i can select an mp3 to listen and there is no error message but i have no sound.
So i tried to check if this hapens with other media players. I ran juK and Noatun and they work good and i ve got a sound. The problem is only with xmms. I supose i ve got to specify the audio device changing (wh:0,0) but how to know which one is corect for me. I know that (hw:0,0) doesn't work and (hw:0,2) works but there is no sound. So how can i find the correct for my sound card?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by domecq »

Iban,

This is a new information. You have an nVidia sound card.

Pay a visit to this page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0310.html

Read everything and try to install the driver.

Try XMMS. If nothing, try to run alsaconf again.

Domecq