Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I change the resolution

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
adrian_mx

How can I change the resolution

#1 Post by adrian_mx »

I've installed Debian etch and I cant use any other resolution than 640x480, how can I change it to support 1024x768 and others? I know i have to modify my /etc/x11/xf86config-4.conf file, but i dont have that file, I have xorg.conf file, xsession.options, defaul-display-manager, rgb.txt, xsession.sh and xwrapper.config and some folders, so how can I change my configuration so I can use more resolutions?

Penguin Skinner

#2 Post by Penguin Skinner »

The easiest thing may be just to run xorgconfig, which will try to detect possible settings for your hardware and write a new xorg.conf file for you. It's pretty automatic ... but before you do it, I suggest you look at your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, find the "InputDevice" section, and write down the name of your mouse device, because xorgconfig will ask what it is.

Alternatively, you can edit your xorg.conf manually. Basically what you need to do is find the "Screen" section, which will look something like this:

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen0"
    Device      "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Monitor     "Monitor0"
    Option  "DPMS"  "true"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0  
    EndSubsection
EndSection
In the display subsection, you can add additional modes to the "Modes" line; for example:

Code: Select all

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0 
    EndSubsection
That should get you going!