Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fluxbox can't set background!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Humbletech99

Fluxbox can't set background!

#1 Post by Humbletech99 »

Hi,
I've got a really weird problem in Fluxbox. I've got loads of styles, but just now they don't seem to be able to set the background when I select them throught the menu, but if I do

Code: Select all

fbsetbg ~/.fluxbox/backgounds/image.jpg
then this works fine.

It's not a path issue because I have changed ~/ to /home/me/ in a style and it makes no difference.

Also, some styles come out grey like they don't know what to do, when I've used these styles loads of times. But usally they change all the window decorations, it's just no style seems to be able to set backgrounds!

Anybody know why this might be?

Demetrius

#2 Post by Demetrius »

Try calling fbsetbg from either your ~/.fluxbox/init file with the line:
session.screen0.rootCommand: fbsetbg -l

Or, alternatively you can call the background from your ~/.fluxbox/startup script by adding the command 'fbsetbg -l' somewhere before the 'exec fluxbox' line.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by Scotti »

Have you tried editing the style theme.cfg?

I edit my styles and add the line: fbsetbg -l

That way my last used wallpaper is set when I log out or restart Fluxbox.

Humbletech99

#4 Post by Humbletech99 »

yes, I've done all off that, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

When I type fbsetbg manually, it works fine, but when the exact same line is put with RootCommand: in a style file it doesn't work.

Some of the themes are having problems coming out as grey (this seems to happen when they can't be applied properly but all the rest come out fine with window decorations.

It's strange, but none of them (and I have a lot that I know work) can't set the background for some reason. I don't believe it's a problem with the fbsetbg but rather with Fluxbox not applying styles correctly.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by Scotti »

That's really strange. Which version of Fluxbox are you running? Do you have Eterm installed? I don't know much about this but Eterm brings with it some other application that Fluxbox uses to set wallpaper and works well.

Humbletech99

#6 Post by Humbletech99 »

fluxbox version 0.9.14-1

Eterm? nah, don't like it, I use aterm instead.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#7 Post by Scotti »

Ya I use aterm aswell. I only have Eterm installed for that extra app to set my wallpaper. It seems odd but oh well.

Point me to the themes that don't work for you. I'll give them a try myself.

Humbletech99

#8 Post by Humbletech99 »

the themes work fine, I've used them all myself many times (edited a lot of them too to make them work properly.

I'll give this another look when I get home tonight and get back on if it's started working.

Just out of curiosity, have you had a problem with aterm/xterm/anyotherterm where the line wraps around and overwrites the same line (it still works but you can't see the beginning of what you wrote!). It's some config kocking something else out, but I don't know what's causing it!

Humbletech99

#9 Post by Humbletech99 »

Ok, I still can't get any theme (even the default in built ones) to set the wallpaper and some of them don't work (everything comes out grey). Also, the themes which are in subdirectories containing a them.cfg don't show up at all on the Fluxbox menu, although all the others which are just theme files in the same dir show up normally

eg. theme1, theme2... show up but themedir1/theme.cfg themedir2/theme.cfg don't appear when they did previously...

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#10 Post by Scotti »

Sounds like you may need to try and put the theme directories in /usr/share/fluxbox/styles, that's the "global" thme directory. Also check out some of the files in /etc/X11/fluxbox, these are the "global" settings files. Maybe in the init file you'll find something.

And yes I do experience the *term text wrapping effect. I've just been ignoring it but fixing it would be nice.

Humbletech99

#11 Post by Humbletech99 »

I've checked all this out, but my menu is written to use the styles directories under ~/.fluxbox and this has always worked in the past.

(the really annoying thing is that *term wrapping effect doesn't just happen in fluxbox, it must be a general problem. Let me know if you find a solution for that...)

Humbletech99

#12 Post by Humbletech99 »

Please see my thread http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=2930 if you are interested in the X terminals wrapping over the same line. I'm eliminating most things and am getting closer to a solution...