mouse frozen

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

mouse frozen

Postby erik » 2006-01-11 17:24

Hi there,

i have a problem with my mouse. When I start X it keeps in de middle of the screen and I'm not able to move it. I remember deleting some software and updateing the system with synaptic, and the next reboot it didn't move any longer.
I am using Xorg and I believe I configured the xorg.conf file properly since I've used the information from 'mdetect' which says:

Code: Select all
Found the following devices:
   /dev/ttyS0
   /dev/psaux
   /dev/input/mouse0
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Protocol"      "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
EndSection

On some other forums I read about some conflict with 'gpm' so I've experimented by stopping en restarting gpm, with no effect. I don't know exactly what gpm is, the man file says it's een mouseserver for the console, but I don't see a mouse in the console either.
In windows the mouse does work so it's no hardware problem.

Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance
Erik
erik

Postby erik » 2006-01-12 16:08

Please help me!! I'm still stuck here!!! I have no mouse and its's realy annoying! Now I have to use windows all the time and it bores me BIG time ;-).
erik

Postby dawgie » 2006-01-12 16:45

Try adding these two lines:

Code: Select all
 Option "Emulate3Buttons"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

You will need to restart the xserver for the changes to take effect.

My mouse uses /dev/input/mice
Although i also have the device file /dev/psaux
You might need to change the device
dawgie

Postby erik » 2006-01-12 16:57

many many thanks for the reply! Although I already tried those options, but I will try it again, you never know....
erik

Postby dnusinow » 2006-01-13 00:53

Just remove gpm. Just get rid of the package. After you do that, restart X and it should work fine.
David Nusinow
dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Postby erik » 2006-01-16 11:32

thanks for the reply, but still no mouse...
I also read that 'cat /dev/psaux', or another possible mouse device, should give some output. That's not the case also...
erik

Postby john_h » 2006-01-16 12:45

Have you tried running the xorg configuration again (dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, IIRC)? That includes detection/configuration of the mouse. With good luck and a following wind it may detect/configure it automatically.
john_h

Postby erik » 2006-01-16 16:29

OK, the xorg configuration didn't detect the mouse, instead I had to pick one from a list. I've tried to 'cat' all the devices from the list and never got output...
When I boot I see something called 'hotplug' which detects a PS/2 mouse, maybe there is some conflict with it? But I don't know what hotplug is...
BTW what exactly do you mean by IIRC?
erik

Postby Harold » 2006-01-16 16:58

If I Remember Correctly
Harold

Postby john_h » 2006-01-16 17:18

Sorry for the obscure geek-speak back there. ;)

You mention you're using xorg.conf. What version of Debian are you running (Sarge/Etch/Sid), and in particular which kernel are you using?
john_h

Postby erik » 2006-01-16 18:13

Well, at least you remembered correctly :-).
I'm running the 2.6.12-1-686 kernel, en the testing release which is Sarge if I'm right...
I spoke to a guy from school and he was able to cat his mouse device, so I realy think the problem might have to do something with that... since I am not able to cat my mouse device...
erik

Postby dawgie » 2006-01-16 20:21

Maybe a module needs to be loaded.
Does
# modprobe psmouse
do anything?
dawgie

Postby erik » 2006-01-16 20:59

YEAH!!! You just made me VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!! The mouse works again, I can not believe it!!! Thank you so much! It's quite obvious if you think about it, but I haven't experimented with loading modules to much so it just didn't pop up in to my mind...
I was seriously thinking about re-installing debian again, but thats no way to treat Linux ofcourse...
Anyway, how can I make the startupscript to modprobe psmouse?

Many many thanks to everybody!!
erik

Re: ...

Postby dawgie » 2006-01-16 21:57

erik wrote:YEAH!!! You just made me VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!! The mouse works again, I can not believe it!!! Thank you so much! It's quite obvious if you think about it, but I haven't experimented with loading modules to much so it just didn't pop up in to my mind...
I was seriously thinking about re-installing debian again, but thats no way to treat Linux ofcourse...
Anyway, how can I make the startupscript to modprobe psmouse?

Many many thanks to everybody!!

Edit /etc/modules
add the line:
psmouse

I'm glad it worked!
dawgie

Return to Desktop & Multimedia