Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The return of "GDM in French"

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Oracle

The return of "GDM in French"

#1 Post by Oracle »

Hi...

I tried some configs, and I noticed something very strange...
At boot time, when GDM is starting, it's in English. But if I log on as root in a console, and I stop and restart GDM, it's in French...

Can somebody explain this strange situation ? How can I set up the thing to start immediatly in French ?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

It is because gdm probably feeds on the LC_CTYPE enviromental variable, which is set for you (you can see if it is set really with the 'locale' command).
If GDM doesn't have a setting according to the locale in some 'control center', you can edit the /etc/init. d/gdm file by hand, putting this line to the beginning of the file:

export LC_CTYPE=fr_FR
(or whatever locale you set up -- you can change it with dpkg-reconfigure locales)

It is a quickHack(TM) approach, but it should work...

Oracle

#3 Post by Oracle »

Sorry, but it doesn't... I've done the modification following your instructions, but GDM is still in English at boot time...

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

If you export the LC_ALL variable to your locale, gdm will speak that language. The only question left is that which enviromental variable affects gdm, since LANG and LC_CTYPE doesn't...