Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE instead of Gnome

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Gre8brew

KDE instead of Gnome

#1 Post by Gre8brew »

Ive been playing w/ knoppix and have just installed debian im sort of fond of the KDE enviorment how to i get KDE to boot up?

Cheers,
Marshall

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#2 Post by dnusinow »

Install it (apt-get install kde should work). Then create a file in your home directory named .xsession. In that file put the line "startkde". Next time you log in, X will run the startkde program, which will do exactly what the name says.
David Nusinow

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#3 Post by Jeroen »

If you use gdm or the likes, your .xsessionrc is irrelevant, but you simply choose your desktop environment while logging in from the menu.

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#4 Post by dnusinow »

Well, .xsession isn't irrelevant because kdm or gdm will use it by default. It also works across *dm's as well as if you use startx to log in from console. Plus it allows you to easily start apps on X login. It's true that the menu in kdm or gdm will work fine, but .xsession provides a lot of power and flexibility, so I like to point people to it.
David Nusinow

abracadabra

#5 Post by abracadabra »

The simplest way is to select KDE from ur login screen menu and make it default ... :roll: ne wayz I'm just repeating wat sum1 haz already said :wink:
:lol: Flying high dosen't kill, it's hitting the ground that does :lol: