Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Playing mpeg's

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Hobbit

Playing mpeg's

#1 Post by Hobbit »

What is the best application to play mpegs?

john_h

#2 Post by john_h »

I recommend Mplayer. This can be obtained from the Marillat repository by adding the following line to your sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main 
(replacing "testing" with "stable" or "unstable" depending on what branch of Debian you're running).

The once you have run "apt-get update" you can then download Mplayer and the Mozilla plugins to integrate it into Firefox etc by running:

Code: Select all

apt-get install mplayer mplayer-mozilla
Marillat also has some other useful packages like w32codecs for running unencrypted .wmv files and flashplayer-mozilla which installs Macromedia Flash (rather than just providing the installation tarball, as in the official Debian package).

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

I have to put my vote in for Vlc
to install:
# apt-get install vlc
For me, it was easy to install and supports more formats than any video viewer that I have found. There is also some good documentation at TLDP here.

coolhandluke

#4 Post by coolhandluke »

The mplayer is a command line player unless you install a skin. You have also to care about codecs. Still it is a very good player and i use it for audio and video streaming.

The Vlc player has a graphical interfaces and you don't have to care about codecs. It can handel a lot of formats. Plus you can obtain it from your Debian Source...

Hobbit

#5 Post by Hobbit »

Thanks guys.