Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I update sarge to KDE3.5?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
diesel1

How do I update sarge to KDE3.5?

#1 Post by diesel1 »

Hi, Ihave been reading various forums looking for a way to update my sarge system with KDE3.5 but there is nothing complete to be found.

I have tried the Konstruct method but ran into several problems with libraries which were installed but not found on my system.

I also tried a method using the alioth repository but this removed my existing KDE and left me with a dependency conflict which I solved by reinstalling.

I am now using gnome but would like the choice of KDE3.5 sometimes.

Can anyone help?

I am new to Debian but have been using Mandrake/Mandriva/RedHat/FedoraCore for 10 years.

My system is:
x86,512mb,nvidia5900,200gb.

Thanks in advance, Simon.

coolhandluke

#2 Post by coolhandluke »

To get KDE 3.5 you need to have the testing and the unstable sources in your etc/apt/sources.list. I would uninstall the old KDE version first and then install the new version. The easiest way is to use synaptic in gnome. Your old KDE settings won't get lost.
Try this lines in your sources.list

Code: Select all

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free  
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free 
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free 

After the installation is complete and everything works you can delete or # the testing and unstable lines, if you don't want to update to other testing and unstable program versions...

diesel1

#3 Post by diesel1 »

Thanks for the reply, I am installing as I type!
I will report again when it is finished........

Diesel1.

#4 Post by Guest »

Hi,
I ended up in a bit of a mess with KDE 3.5.

I decided to install testing as I hear it is reasonably stable compared with other distro's that have testing//cooker type choices.

Thanks for your help anyhow! :)

Simon.

bq

KDE 3.5.0 for sarge

#5 Post by bq »

Here is another repository jewel that contains a KDE 3.5 for sarge:

http://deb.stosberg.net/

Haven't tried it yet. I won't fix anything that ain't broke (that is the 3.4.3 from elswhere).

Benjamin