Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

can I launch kwin by itself?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Humbletech99

can I launch kwin by itself?

#1 Post by Humbletech99 »

I've apt-get installed kwin without kde to see what it would be like to just run kwin window manager. I change the default window manager to kwin in /etc/alternatives and ran startx but all I got was a default grey-black dotted X screen with the fat X cursor. I'm positive the link to kwin was correct.

Can I load kwin by itself to see what it's like? What am I doing wrong?
The Human Equation:

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#2 Post by dnusinow »

Are you sure it's not running? Go back to console after you log in (ctrl-alt-f1) and do a "ps" to see. If it's not, just put it in ~/.xsession and log in with the default login option or just use startx.
David Nusinow

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

humbletech99> Can I load kwin by itself to see what it's like?

Yes, you can. Do xinit /usr/bin/kwin

Humbletech99

#4 Post by Humbletech99 »

thanks for that, I'll give it a try, I just discovered I didn't have an ~/.xinitrc so I created this to exec fluxbox which is what I normally use, but now I'll modify it run /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager (and then just have x-window-manager point to kwin as I think this is the proper way - I can then repoint it to fluxbox later)

thanks for your help!
The Human Equation:

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)