Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't log out of any WM

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Fenix

Can't log out of any WM

#1 Post by Fenix »

Hi!

I'm running an AMD64 and Sarge. I've done the net install, went without a hitch, but I got a bit of a problem with Gnome or KDE...

When I go to log out... well... my screen goes blank, and that's it for my Debian box. It's dead. No errors, no nothing, just black. I have to reboot to recover. Everything works fine up to the point when I finish.

Anyone have any ideas?
Richard Fleming
http://www.rdfleming.com

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Try adding a new user, then logging in and out on the new account. If you can do that successfully, then something in your home directory is corrupted. If you can not do that successfully, try purging (apt-get remove --purge ?dm) your display manager and reinstalling.

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

If Harold's solution dosent work, it could be a problem with one of the drivers. A couple years ago there was a similar bug with some ati cards and the dri module.

You could try disabling the suspected drivers to eliminate the possibility.
Edit your /etc/X11/Xf86Config-4 file (or xorg.conf) and look for the "Module" section and hash out suspected drivers (glx, dri).

Code: Select all

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
#       Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
#        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
EndSection
then, restart your xserver.

If it is a bug, it may be fixed by installing a newer kernel.