Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iceweasel still has many Gtk and Gdk errors

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Telemachus

Re: Iceweasel still has many Gtk and Gdk errors

#16 Post by Telemachus »

L_V wrote:"download Firefox
opened iceweasel "

Sorry, I don't understand this one. I am still confused to understand if you use Firefox or Iceweasel.
craigevil wrote: opened iceweasel with iceweasel -profilemanager and created a profile for Firefox
copied my iceweasel profile to the new firefox profile
created a Firefox.desktop
He used Iceweasel to create a new profile for Firefox, so that the Firefox wouldn't affect or be affected by his existing Iceweasel insallation.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

L_V

#17 Post by L_V »

Telemachus wrote:He used Iceweasel to create a new profile for Firefox, so that the Firefox wouldn't affect or be affected by his existing Iceweasel insallation.
Mixing Iceweasel and Firefox is not the best combination to clarify the situation, especially depending on which program is configuring ~\.bash_profile.

What is sure at least, this bug is known with a "normal" installation of firefox (without any iceweasel confusion with a separated xul-runner version X.

Telemachus

#18 Post by Telemachus »

L_V wrote:
Telemachus wrote:He used Iceweasel to create a new profile for Firefox, so that the Firefox wouldn't affect or be affected by his existing Iceweasel insallation.
Mixing Iceweasel and Firefox is not the best combination to clarify the situation, especially depending on which program is configuring ~\.bash_profile.
The way that he did things is designed precisely not to mix them. The user profiles for both Iceweasel and Firefox will go into a folder called .mozilla in your user's $HOME directory. If you don't create a new profile, then they will end up sharing one profile and then things will get mixed. Craig's way prevents this problem.

Also, as far as I know neither Iceweasel nor Firefox configures your .bash_profile.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

L_V

#19 Post by L_V »

??
~/.bash_profile is not in user mozilla profile. It can contain the PANGO value setting.

I don't have the exact difference list between Firefox/Iceweasel:
- pango setting ?
- compilation options ?
- xul-runner version ?
- etc etc

The difference is not just the icon, but once installed, the second program will take some settings of the previous used.

~/.bash_profile : may be not configured by Iceweasel installation, but can be configured by any optional package bound with firefox, "firefox" being a meta-package.

Code: Select all

# ---- language-env DON'T MODIFY THIS LINE!
# settings for french speaking users

# set LANG
# export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
# ---- language-env end DON'T MODIFY THIS LINE!

# Speed Up Firefox By ~45%
# http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/07/ubuntu-speed-up-firefox-by-45.html
export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
I currently have three installed system:
1. Lenny/KDE3.5.10
2. Kubuntu Karmic KDE4.3 (final release)
3. SID with KDE4 (fresh install).

I will continue investigations to clarify these crashes, although there are already tracked at mozilla.

craigevil

#20 Post by craigevil »

And I still say the crashes are kde related. Try a different de/wm and see what happens.
$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 3.5.1-1
Candidate: 3.5.1-1
$ apt-cache policy flashplayer-mozilla
flashplayer-mozilla:
Installed: 1:10.0.32.18-0.0
Candidate: 1:10.0.32.18-0.0
$ apt-cache policy gecko-mediaplayer
gecko-mediaplayer:
Installed: 0.9.6-1
Candidate: 0.9.6-1
and Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2

I used to run only iceweasel, but for some weird reason firefox seems a bit faster. heres a pic of iceweasel being opened and ran in a terminal other than the OpenOffice thing no matter what I do nothing happens. I played with hulu, youtube, radiodarkenss, last.fm, nothing unusually.

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

L_V

#21 Post by L_V »

"some weird reason firefox seems a bit faster."

This is what I am trying to clarify. It is not that easy because no doc at all.
I did not find any information on Iceweasel/Firefox differences, only talking about a famous icon which is free or not free.
Firefox/Iceweasel compilation options choice are very important for optimization in a given environment.
The icon color does not explain the differences. It's a bit more complex.
Iceweasel use seems to be very confidential, and I think it just adds complexity to the picture with IceCat GNU project or SwiftWeasel.
It becomes more and more difficult to report a bug, because small differences make the job much more difficult for developers to investigate, reproduce the environment etc etc.

"the crashes are kde related"

May be it is more and more difficult to cleanly port mozilla products because of old gtk libraries which make firefox very complex, much more than Opera which is much smaller and faster, but developed on Qt.
If gtk is too old to be easily compatible with Qt4.5, mozilla can now pray that KDE4 will not be largely used ! (mozilla still has 90% market share with windows, so it is not yet a big problem).
I will check the behavior of Firefox/Iceweasel 3.5.2 on a fresh SID/KDE4 to see if this well known Gdk-CRITICAL/Gdk-ERROR crashing bug is there or not.

"I played with hulu, youtube, radiodarkenss, last.fm, nothing unusually."

Same for me. This is not what I am reporting.
Many times Flash is said to be the culprit, but Gdk-CRITICAL/Gdk-ERROR bugs are not caused by Flash.

L_V

#22 Post by L_V »

craigevil wrote:And I still say the crashes are kde related. ]
Fx 3.5 has not been tested enough.

Firefox 2 => no crash
Opera 10 => no crash
Firefox 3.5.2 => crash crash crash
Swiftweasel 3.5.2 => exactly same bug (although different compilation options / optimizations)
Some tricks under investigation with "export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1", but the cause of the bug is not yet identified.

Opera is really impressive. Plugins immediately found in my system, and works fine just with xine plugins.
I've been using it long time ago, and really investigate using it again.
Light and fast. Much less bloated than Firefox.

Qew

#23 Post by Qew »

L_V wrote:
craigevil wrote:And I still say the crashes are kde related. ]
Fx 3.5 has not been tested enough.

Firefox 2 => no crash
Opera 10 => no crash
Firefox 3.5.2 => crash crash crash
For a personal experiment, I have been using Firefox 3.5.1/3.5.2 exclusively for nearly two weeks (I plan to use it for a month before deciding if it's going to become my main browser), and have yet to have a crash using it. I installed it via the extracting the tar.gz within my home directory route. I've got Adblock Plus, Noscript, All-In-One Gestures and Secure Login extensions installed, as well as the latest Flash plugin from Debian Multimedia. I'm running Lenny with Xfce. Sorry to contradict your experience, but I haven't suffered one single crash; it's been rock solid.
Swiftweasel 3.5.2 => exactly same bug (although different compilation options / optimizations)
Some tricks under investigation with "export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1", but the cause of the bug is not yet identified.

Opera is really impressive. Plugins immediately found in my system, and works fine just with xine plugins.
I've been using it long time ago, and really investigate using it again.
Light and fast. Much less bloated than Firefox.
Agree about Opera being solid and impressive, seeing it's my current main browser (except for these two weeks and the next two weeks). Still, as I said above, for me, Firefox hasn't crashed.

L_V

#24 Post by L_V »

Qew wrote: I haven't suffered one single crash; it's been rock solid.
Linux version of Firefox should not be dedicated to gtk environments only (gtk will not survive).
No need to say my tests are made with fresh profiles without any extension.
You should visit the mozilla or ubuntu forum to learn more on this known bug, and also ... bugzilla !
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... 411&page=2

The good point: windows users are also complaining of more crashes, which is the only way to make mozilla react.

craigevil

#25 Post by craigevil »

L_V wrote:
Linux version of Firefox should not be dedicated to gtk environments only (gtk will not survive).
You should visit the mozilla or ubuntu forum to learn more on this known bug, and also ... bugzilla !

The good point: windows users are also complaining of more crashes, which is the only way to make mozilla react.
Just curious why you keep saying GTK is old and will not survive. You do realize there are tons of gtk apps that works just fine and are very up to date.
LXDE, Gnome and a lot of window managers rely on GTK it isn't going anywhere. There are more GTK apps than there are QT apps and most are better. I ran KDE for years but you couldn't pay me enough to run KDE4.

Ubuntu is inherently more buggy than Debian, as for Windows who gives a crap.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

L_V

#26 Post by L_V »

gtk/qt discussion is out the of scope of the thread.... but then in very short:

1. gnome will never be widely used (users coming from windows will prefer KDE4);
2. the gap is huge between development speed of gnome apps and Qt apps, due to the development kit and power of libraries;
3. more and more users are switching from gnome to KDE4 (KDE4.3 is the good starting point for KDE4 platform).

Number of apps ?
You have everything in KDE: I do not use any gtk apps (only Firefox still for some days if bugs are not nailed down)
see http://www.kde-apps.org/ - http://www.qt-apps.org/ - http://www.qtsoftware.com/

Back to Firefox, let's be clear: mozilla is focused on windows, period.

visit http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23
You will find
"The Official Win32 2009xyzt Trunk build is out. "
but never
"The Official Linux 2009xyzt Trunk build is out. "

craigevil

#27 Post by craigevil »

L_V wrote:gtk/qt discussion is out the of scope of the thread.... but then in very short:

1. gnome will never be widely used (users coming from windows will prefer KDE4);
2. the gap is huge between development speed of gnome apps and Qt apps, due to the development kit and power of libraries;
3. more and more users are switching from gnome to KDE4 (KDE4.3 is the good starting point for KDE4 platform).

Number of apps ?
You have everything in KDE: I do not use any gtk apps (only Firefox still for some days if bugs are not nailed down)
see http://www.kde-apps.org/ - http://www.qt-apps.org/ - http://www.qtsoftware.com/

Back to Firefox, let's be clear: mozilla is focused on windows, period.

visit http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23
You will find
"The Official Win32 2009xyzt Trunk build is out. "
but never
"The Official Linux 2009xyzt Trunk build is out. "
You do realize Gnome is used on more distros than kde? Ubuntu which is undoubtedly the most popular distro uses Gnome as does the default Desktop task in Debian and many other distros.
Gnome releases a new version every 6 months, Ubuntu's release schedule is tied to it. KDE4 has been in the works for a couple of years and is still buggy as hell.

As for iceweasel/Firefox like many other users all I can say is it hasn't crashed for me in forever and I do not have any gtk/gdk errors even when opening it from a terminal. Nor does it crash on my wife's eee which is running XP. I am on my PC for 10-12 hrs a day and iceweasel is open the entire time.
My Giant Sources.list

Qew

#28 Post by Qew »

L_V wrote:
I am an active member of the Mozillazine forum under a different nick and have been a member since early 2003, and have read up on some of the complaints about the latest Firefox version (as well as past complaints about past new versions). However, for me, Firefox is working fine and not getting the claimed crashes here. I'm not disputing your experience, nor the other complainants, but for me and many others, Firefox has been fine and has not crashed to the extent that it has for you and others, nor do I get the other errors you get.

L_V

#29 Post by L_V »

@craigevil
"Ubuntu which is undoubtedly the most popular distro uses Gnome"

Reason is simple: Qt was not free and only gtk was available. Now things have changed:
1. Qt if free.
2. The boss of Ubuntu is now the main boss of KDE => [url=thtp://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/mark-shuttlewort ... oject.html]Mark Shuttleworth financially supports KDE project[/url]

"Gnome releases a new version every 6 months"
Which change ? The background wallpaper ?
Do you compare gnome changes with KDE3 to KDE4 transition ? I hope not.

KDE3.5 is very stable, never have had any problem.
KDE4.3 is not as buggy as you imagine. Very stable for me for months.
You just need to make a clean install of KDE, and not a mixture with gnome libraries.

"As for iceweasel/Firefox like many other users all I can say is it hasn't crashed for me"
And what do you conclude ? Nothing !
If for a given configuration and given test, Firefox 2 and Opera are not crashing at all, the conclusion is clear: something is broken in Firefox 3.5.
The exact same bug I see is still reported in 3.6a (I am not surprised / it can take 2 years to correct a bug).
The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program.

My guess: as long as gtk does not make a too bloated browser for windows, Firefox will continue to use gtk.
For KDE, Opera is a very good alternative, followed by Konqueror, Arora, Rekonq etc etc

Frankly, still in 2009 having to play with old plugins like plugger, moz-plugin more or less maintained or other glue which try to make the interface with media libraries is really painful, especially when stopping playing the media crashes Firefox (reported many times).

sickie

#30 Post by sickie »

L_V and Craigie, please calm down. Stop being childish with your QT/KDE or GTK/LXDE/GNOME/Whatever is better.
As for Iceweasel 3.5 + KDE4(.3) = I don't have any problems at all, works nicely here, no crashes & strange behaviour. I'm running it (iceweaz) now from a terminal; for now no Gtk-criticals. Actually, no terminal output at all. I'll see how will it be while I browse around and eventually report back.
:shock:

sickie

#31 Post by sickie »

OK, I have one Gtk-critical, though I don't know when it happend. But it didn't manifest in any way that I could sense it while useing iceweazel.
Critical:

(firefox-bin:9959): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display: assertion `xatom != None' failed

craigevil

#32 Post by craigevil »

sickie wrote:OK, I have one Gtk-critical, though I don't know when it happend. But it didn't manifest in any way that I could sense it while useing iceweazel.
Critical:

(firefox-bin:9959): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display: assertion `xatom != None' failed
A few apps get that including leafpad when opened with sudo but it never causes the apps to crash.
My Giant Sources.list

L_V

#33 Post by L_V »

"x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display" error is not causing the crash.

@sickie
In order to make a bit more than a "childish" test, could you please do this:

1. Which exact version of Firefox/Iceweasel ?
2. which media plugin are you using ?
3. output of kde4-config --version
4. open firefox from a console (not as root....)
5. open http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/menu.html?f=test.m3u
Normally, it should play.
6. close the tab during sound playing
7. crash or not ? Any message in the console ?

sickie

#34 Post by sickie »

As I've said, I have no problems with iceweasel under KDE 4 and said so; I run through (non-root) terminal for my own curiosity and reported my findings. Maybe tomorrow I'll make an "adult" test. But that's a maybe, as I have a lot to do for school.

L_V

#35 Post by L_V »

Instead of having made childish comment at previous page, you should have read the thread to better understand in which conditions the crash test occurs.
Exact test/environment conditions is what I call adult test.
BTW, the time you took to write your post was far enough to make the test.