Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Iceweasel still has many Gtk and Gdk errors

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sickie

Re: Iceweasel still has many Gtk and Gdk errors

#31 Post by sickie »

OK, I have one Gtk-critical, though I don't know when it happend. But it didn't manifest in any way that I could sense it while useing iceweazel.
Critical:

Code: Select all

(firefox-bin:9959): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display: assertion `xatom != None' failed
:shock:

craigevil

#32 Post by craigevil »

sickie wrote:OK, I have one Gtk-critical, though I don't know when it happend. But it didn't manifest in any way that I could sense it while useing iceweazel.
Critical:

Code: Select all

(firefox-bin:9959): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display: assertion `xatom != None' failed
A few apps get that including leafpad when opened with sudo but it never causes the apps to crash.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

L_V

#33 Post by L_V »

"x11_xatom_to_atom_for_display" error is not causing the crash.

@sickie
In order to make a bit more than a "childish" test, could you please do this:

1. Which exact version of Firefox/Iceweasel ?
2. which media plugin are you using ?
3. output of kde4-config --version
4. open firefox from a console (not as root....)
5. open http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/menu.html?f=test.m3u
Normally, it should play.
6. close the tab during sound playing
7. crash or not ? Any message in the console ?

sickie

#34 Post by sickie »

As I've said, I have no problems with iceweasel under KDE 4 and said so; I run through (non-root) terminal for my own curiosity and reported my findings. Maybe tomorrow I'll make an "adult" test. But that's a maybe, as I have a lot to do for school.

L_V

#35 Post by L_V »

Instead of having made childish comment at previous page, you should have read the thread to better understand in which conditions the crash test occurs.
Exact test/environment conditions is what I call adult test.
BTW, the time you took to write your post was far enough to make the test.

craigevil

#36 Post by craigevil »

L_V wrote:Instead of having made childish comment at previous page, you should have read the thread to better understand in which conditions the crash test occurs.
Exact test/environment conditions is what I call adult test.
BTW, the time you took to write your post was far enough to make the test.
How about you stop attacking people? I haven't seen many people at all on the Mozillazine forums complaining about crashes. The ones that are complaining run Ubuntu or Kubuntu, with either of those wtf do you expect.

Bad enough you keep blaming whatever crashes you are having on gtk rather than on kde4 which still isn't ready to be released. How many people have to tell you there are no crashes on anything but kd4, *buntu and maybe windows before you believe it isn't a gtk bug? Stop running a buggy desktop and you won't have any problems with either iceweasel or firefox.

As far as I am concerned this thread is done. Try lurking in #debian on both freenode and oftc, guess what no one complaining about iw/firefox crashing. :)

Once a thread moves to personal attacks it is time for it to be closed. Not only has this thread reached that point it is serving no purpose.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

L_V

#37 Post by L_V »

craigevil wrote:Stop running a buggy desktop and you won't have any problems with either iceweasel or firefox..
Amazing. The first time I read somebody choosing a Desktop to fit a browser.
I don't have any problem with KDE4.
Opera V10 (Qt4) is even working very fine (to not say better than Firefox).

BTW, sickie explains he is going to school and doesn't have time to make the test I describe above, although his environment is ready for.
Sure he will find 30s one day, after his homework

sickie

#38 Post by sickie »

Well, I just totally lost interest in making the test for you.

Qew

#39 Post by Qew »

BTW, my Firefox crashed at the BBC website yesterday. I was so disgusted that Firefox crashed after three weeks usage without a crash, that I thought of coming here to whinge about it... but then forgot till now. The worst thing was that it presented me a dialogue box saying it had crashed, whether I wanted to send a crash report and whether I wanted to go back to the pages I was at. It brought me back to those pages I was at just prior to the crash, and I was severely disappointed that it was successful in doing that. I mean, I wanted to get angry with rage and start smashing up things, writing diatribes and the like, due to losing where I was, but all I got was a mild case of annoyance. :(

L_V

#40 Post by L_V »

sickie wrote:Well, I just totally lost interest in making the test for you.
Don't worry. If you go to school, it's much more important for you to work at school than testing firefox.

This bug is well known, and Debian is working on it. It will be solved one day
=> Debian Bug report logs - #488637 [ 30 Jun 2008 ]
=> Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 473830 [ Reported: 2008-11-30 ]

In the meantime, and for those having problem with Firefox.Iceweasel 3, Opera does not have any problem with xine.

L_V

#41 Post by L_V »

Bug solved in Firefox 3.5.3 (RC).