Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removing the Debian menu from Gnome?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
adrian440

Removing the Debian menu from Gnome?

#1 Post by adrian440 »

Just wondering if anyone has had success at doing this.

Running sarge, I've purged menu and menu-xdg, then I removed /var/lib/gnome, since that was untouched by the purgin process and seemed to be where the menu entries were.

Now I still have an empty "Debian" entry on my gnome menu.

Anyone have any ideas?

porschemad911

#2 Post by porschemad911 »

I'd be really, really keen to know the answer to this. I've done a base install, then slowly added the bits I want (and only the bits I want), eg gnome-core, and I have an empty and useless Debian menu hanging there. I don't have the menu or menu-xdg packages installed and /var/lib/gnome doesn't exist.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#3 Post by domecq »

Create a new user and log into a fresh desktop, just to see if that empty Debian entry is also shown there.

adrian440

Domecq

#4 Post by adrian440 »

Just tried it, the new user still has an empty debian menu.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by domecq »

If you right-click on the empty Debian entry, do you get any option to remove it from the menu?

jobezone

#6 Post by jobezone »

domecq wrote:If you right-click on the empty Debian entry, do you get any option to remove it from the menu?
Or right-clicking the Applications menu, is there a "Edit menu" option? Under gnome 2.12 there is.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

adrian440

#7 Post by adrian440 »

Since I'm using sarge, its actually gnome 2.8.

The normal gnome menu I can edit fine using ye old nautilus method (I believe this stopped working after gnome 2.8):

Open a nautilus window, then type ctrl-L for location, then enter applications:/// or applications-all-users:///

This however, doesn't work for the Debian menu which seems to be hacked on some other way.

porschemad911

#8 Post by porschemad911 »

Yes, I've hunted and hunted down every configuration file I can find with no luck ... I hope it's not embedded in the Sarge Gnome source code. I doubt it, but you never know.

orbit

#9 Post by orbit »

hi, i was looking for a solution to that matter and find on a german fedora wiki the following:

type in terminal

cd /usr/share/applications/kde
for i in *; do echo "OnlyShowIn=KDE;" >> $i;done

it worked for me very well.

orbit

#10 Post by orbit »

sorry, i gave wrong information. I didnt read the topic all, and thought you meant to remove the kde entries from gnome menu. about debian menu matter my solution doesnt help.

sorry

mullins

#11 Post by mullins »

orbit wrote:hi, i was looking for a solution to that matter and find on a german fedora wiki the following:

type in terminal

cd /usr/share/applications/kde
for i in *; do echo "OnlyShowIn=KDE;" >> $i;done

it worked for me very well.
Could this be modified to remove GNOME menu entries in KDE???

If it could I'd be keen! :wink:

debian menu

#12 Post by Guest »

I'm using etch, not sure if the same applies for sarge

I moved debian-menu.menu in /etc/xdg/menus to .debian-menu.menu

/etc/xdg/menus/.debian-menu.menu

then pkill -HUP gnome-panel

porschemad911

#13 Post by porschemad911 »

Well, I have devised a fix that I am very, very happy with. Use XFCE! It's way faster and leaner which I love; I was tiring of Gnome anyway.

But seriously, there must be a way. I have looked through almost every file brought up using:

Code: Select all

locate debian
and:

Code: Select all

locate menu
And nothing.