Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

XFree86 Working BUT Can't Do Anything-Display Res Issue or ?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ArchiMark

XFree86 Working BUT Can't Do Anything-Display Res Issue or ?

#1 Post by ArchiMark »

Hope someone can please advise...

Installed Debian last night on my little Averatec AV1050 (10.6" Widescreen 1280x768 display) and install went OK.

Apt-get works and did update/upgrade, etc...

Then installed XFree86 and xterm and now have problem that I don't know how to solve...

Now when I boot up, it goes through normal linux boot up and then starts up X and I see a small gray login window. After I log-in the little gray window disappears and then all I see is the 'blank gray textured' background with an 'X' in the middle of the display.

How do I fix this situation??

Also, one other weird thing that sometimes, but not always when I boot up AV1050 connected to my network with CAT5 cable, it will start some sort of download of some Linux files to boot with and then eventually it will stop and say that there's no OS and will halt laptop. If I disconnect CAT5 cable and reboot then I'll get to GRUB screen as it should.

This also happened prior to my installing Debian too a few times...

Anybody ever have this happen or know why this happens and what if anything to do about it??

Thanks for any and all help!!

Mark
Silicon Valley Linux Noob

sstone

#2 Post by sstone »

Did you installed kde, gnome or any other desktop environment(now it seems that you have the plain x environment; gray background, the "x" is the mouse).
rm -rf /

ArchiMark

#3 Post by ArchiMark »

Not yet, sstone....thought I needed to setup X and make that it was working OK before I did that....

:?

So, now my problem is that I don't have a terminal window or command-line to use as my laptop boots up Linux and then goes straight to the X window with the little graphical login window. When I login in, all I see is the 'gray textured-looking' display with the X in the middle of it....

Sooo, how can I fix this situation???

Thanks!

Mark

CuCullin

#4 Post by CuCullin »

ArchiMark wrote:Not yet, sstone....thought I needed to setup X and make that it was working OK before I did that....

So, now my problem is that I don't have a terminal window or command-line to use as my laptop boots up Linux and then goes straight to the X window with the little graphical login window. When I login in, all I see is the 'gray textured-looking' display with the X in the middle of it....

Sooo, how can I fix this situation???

Thanks!

Mark
Ctrl-Alt-F1-F6 to get to the cli, then go from there?

ArchiMark

GOT CLI !!!

#5 Post by ArchiMark »

You're 'Da Man, CuCullin!!!

:lol:

Got CLI now.....

Onward and Upward, hopefully.....

:roll:

Now, gotta decide what WM to go with....decisions, decisions....KDE, XFCE.....

Thanks,

Mark

CuCullin

#6 Post by CuCullin »

No prob... and on a laptop, I'd go a bit lighter. If you really would like to use KDE (which would be how I feel more often than not), install just kde-base, and add applications one at a time - not kde-pim for example, but install kontact and so on one by one. You'll end up with a rather sleek and smooth running machine.

Otherwise, I'd recommend Fluxbox personally. Worth trying out, thats for sure.

EDIT: Oh, and SimpleKDE is under development. Should be a lightweight version of KDE, handled by removing some more extraneous features.

DebKdeNewbie

#7 Post by DebKdeNewbie »

You can also get out of the X session and back into command by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace... or ctrl+F2 might work too.

ArchiMark

THANKS CuCullin & DebKdeNewbie

#8 Post by ArchiMark »

Thanks again CuCulling for all your input! Really helps!

Also, Thanks for your tip, DebKdeNewbie!!

:D

Mark