KDM doesn't start, startx does [probably solved]

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

KDM doesn't start, startx does [probably solved]

Postby Tadeas » 2009-10-01 21:02

When the computer is starting, there is the classical list of starting services, finished by KDM. Then the screen goes black as X starts. However it's only black for several seconds and then it quits and I'm back to tty1. When I log in and start X manually, KDE starts fine.

The funny thing about it all is that it hapens only sometimes. Sometimes KDM starts fine. I don't see any sort of a pattern on when it works and when it doesn't.

According to the logs, everything should be fine, they are the same in both cases. There are no (EE)s in X's logs and classical X-starting information in kdm.log, also without any errors.

It's a fresh install - basic Lenny via netinst, then update to Squeeze and then installing everything, fully updated.

Anybody experienced this? Any ideas what might be wrong?
Last edited by Tadeas on 2009-10-04 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.
Tadeas

Re: KDM doesn't start, startx does

Postby dbbolton » 2009-10-02 13:00

What happens when you manually start then stop the service?
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
dbbolton

Postby Tadeas » 2009-10-03 09:58

Thank you for your reply.

Manually starting KDM starts it with no errors (however I've tried it only once, I'm writing wrom it ATM).

I send here the logs if anyone can make anything from it. They are collected right after boot, when it doesn't log me into KDE, but I end in tty1 instead. It's possible that kdm.log and Xorg.0.log are from previous boot though (I dunno for sure).

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/m5abd01f2
kdm.log: http://pastebin.com/m61ec5e11
Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m1e9d089b
Because let’s face it, the unfortunate aspect of software development is that it involves humans. Mewling, disorganized, miserably analog humans. Sometimes they smell bad.
Tadeas

Postby BKJ » 2009-10-04 18:30

check your /var/log/daemon.log and if you see something like this, "kdm[3289]: X server startup timeout, terminating" and if so then edit the following file: /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and add the following to the [X-*-Core] section of that file "ServerTimeout=120". My section of the file looks like this,

[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=false
AllowShutdown=Root
AutoReLogin=false
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors-%d
Reset=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xreset
Session=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession
Setup=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xstartup
ServerTimeout=120

Then reboot and you should be good to go.
Debian Testing/Unstable rigs.... amd64
BKJ

Postby Tadeas » 2009-10-04 20:21

Great! Thanks a lot! We'll see if it will occur again or not, but the line was there:
Code: Select all
Riva:/home/garion# cat /var/log/daemon.log | grep kdm
Oct  4 13:25:50 Riva kdm[3133]: X server startup timeout, terminating
Oct  4 13:25:51 Riva kdm[3133]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled
Oct  4 22:17:22 Riva kdm[3098]: X server startup timeout, terminating
Oct  4 22:17:24 Riva kdm[3098]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled
Tadeas

Re: KDM doesn't start, startx does [probably solved]

Postby BKJ » 2009-10-04 21:25

It will happen again if you don't set that setting in the kdmrc file. Setting the ServerTimout in kdmrc will assure it never happens again. Trust me on this one because I have a machine that did the same thing 3 out 5 boots no x but could start x from the command line. I don't know why if affects some machines and not others. I have 5 debian machines and only one did what you were describing. The one that did it has the same video card as another machine that it did not do it on (nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] (rev a1). What video card do you have?
Debian Testing/Unstable rigs.... amd64
BKJ

Postby dbbolton » 2009-10-04 22:31

Tadeas wrote:Great! Thanks a lot! We'll see if it will occur again or not, but the line was there:
Code: Select all
Riva:/home/garion# cat /var/log/daemon.log | grep kdm
Oct  4 13:25:50 Riva kdm[3133]: X server startup timeout, terminating
Oct  4 13:25:51 Riva kdm[3133]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled
Oct  4 22:17:22 Riva kdm[3098]: X server startup timeout, terminating
Oct  4 22:17:24 Riva kdm[3098]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled

You can save yourself a few keystrokes by running 'grep kdm /var/log/daemon.log' instead :wink:
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF

Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.
dbbolton

Postby Tadeas » 2009-10-05 06:33

dbbolton wrote:You can save yourself a few keystrokes by running 'grep kdm /var/log/daemon.log' instead :wink:

I know, it's just a habit :) .

It will happen again if you don't set that setting in the kdmrc file. Setting the ServerTimout in kdmrc will assure it never happens again. Trust me on this one because I have a machine that did the same thing 3 out 5 boots no x but could start x from the command line. I don't know why if affects some machines and not others. I have 5 debian machines and only one did what you were describing. The one that did it has the same video card as another machine that it did not do it on (nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] (rev a1). What video card do you have?

I have ATI Radeon X1200 [RS690M] with radeonhd driver. However it didn't do this before. I was using Sid until about a month ago (then I went to opensuse and now I'm back to Squeeze several days) and it was ok...

Maybe it has something to do with services starting in background (if they do, I'll check it when I have time...) and X just takes too long to start because it waits for something else to "finish starting (like HAL)" - and it maybe doesn't have enough system resources to start that fast. But that's just a guess.
Tadeas

Return to Desktop & Multimedia