Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tilda, A drop down terminal

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

Tilda, A drop down terminal

#1 Post by Guest »

I've been working on a drop down terminal for linux, like the ones found in first person shooter games, quake, doom, half-life etc...

I have debian packages released and would love it if people would try it out and give me feed back as it is young and could use a lot of testing in different environments.

http://tilda.sourceforge.net

Thanks,
Tristan

Wolven

#2 Post by Wolven »

Nice app. I've been wanting something like Tilda for a while.

A few problems I have:

1 I can't get the transparency to work. It just gives me a light gray background.
2 The user info. (user@host) Is printed twice.
3 I can't get the binded key to roll Tilda up and/or down. (I've got xbindkeys installed, but I have a Norwegian keyboard layout, so that might be why.)

Here is a screenshot to show you issue 1 and 2

Edit:
I found that if I run Tilda from the Gnome Mini-Command Line panel. It kills it and other panel apps. Like the System Monitor, the Clock and the Show Desktop tool.

Bugs

#3 Post by Guest »

1) Trans. may not work because of the way you set your background, but I see you are in GNOME. Do you use the normal GNOME apps to set the background? I have a developer who uses GNOME and the trans. worked for him. GNOME for somereason is the worst DE to run Tilda in, which makes me hate GNOME. Tilda is written in GTK+ and uses GTK+ function to inable Tilda to be on all desktops and always above, but for some reason GNOME doesn't care. You'd think the major gtk+ DE out there woud atleast work right with gtk+ apps.

My suggestion is to use real transparency, I didn't want to put fake transparency in Tilda because in my option it is not worth it. Get X.org and use transset, it'll make it look much much better.

2) That is supposed to happen, I keep forgetting to take that test code out. You can do tilda -c command to run a different command, but if you don't "pwd" is run each time you load tilda, but only when it is loaded. It should never happen again though.

3) That may be do to the Norweigan key board and maybe not. Check ~/.xbindkeysrc to make sure it was created correctly, something like this should work:

"tilda -T"
F1

I will have a key capture for tilda-0.04 so that you do no thave to type in the keys in a xbindkeys fashion, it will grab what you want and convert it to xbindkeys. So also make sure that the way you set up the keys follows there standards by going here:,

http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

Lastly, I'll have my developer who runs GNOME check on the killing of panel apps, that is very odd and very bad.

Thanks for your input, hopefully I can get tilda past all these hurdles (most have to do with GNOME I've found, haha).

Tristan