Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Test]Wine 1.2-rc7

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
berillions

[Test]Wine 1.2-rc7

#1 Post by berillions »

Hello,

I create a package for the latest wine version and i would like to know if someone want to try my first package.
It's a package for the i386 architecture. You can download my package here :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0A1V1GMU

Thanks

stevepusser

Re: [Test]Wine 1.2-rc7

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Hey, pretty good for a first effort...but there is actually another way to create a "proper" Debian package. The problem with checkinstall is that it added no dependencies for your package, and I know Wine has a metric pantsload of them.

Take a look here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976

and here is a source repository for the same version of Wine done as a proper deb package, Debian compatible. Try rebuilding Wine from the source files, and all the dependencies will be automatically added.
MX Linux packager and developer

berillions

#3 Post by berillions »

Hello stevepusser,

If i understand, the great solution to create a proper Debian Package is to use dh_make and dpkg-buildpackage instead of checkinstall ?

Thanks

bugsbunny

#4 Post by bugsbunny »

stevepusser wrote:Hey, pretty good for a first effort...but there is actually another way to create a "proper" Debian package. The problem with checkinstall is that it added no dependencies for your package, and I know Wine has a metric pantsload of them.

Take a look here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976

and here is a source repository for the same version of Wine done as a proper deb package, Debian compatible. Try rebuilding Wine from the source files, and all the dependencies will be automatically added.
You appear to have missed the link to the source repository. I don't know if this is the one you were thinking of but: Directory listing | Wine (wine-unstable) packages (source plus compiled debs (sid) for amd64 and x86)

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Oops, my bad...I got cut off right there. I was going to have him use the Wine 1.2.~rc7 in the mepislovers community repo for the source files, and rebuild his own proper deb from those sources: (the two source files are down near the bottom:

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ ... in/w/wine/

since they should have fairly general build depends, and I think the packages will remove the 15 or so packages that Debian hacks Wine into in favor of the new ones (another problem with the checkinstall deb)

If you use the source files, no need for dh_make. Just install the basic packaging tools:

build-essential fakeroot devscripts debhelper dpkg-dev pbuilder. Put the source files into a directory, and in that directory, execute

dpkg-source -x <package>.dsc

on the .dsc file, to extract the debianized source folder. You can look in /debian/control of the extracted source to see what you need to install to properly build the package, under Build-Depends, or install them with

su -c '/usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends'

Then use the package build command. devscripts provides some shortcuts, try

debuild binary

to just build the deb files.

berillions

#6 Post by berillions »

Hello,

I re-post in this topic because i have an other question.
@Stevepusser, i made an example with an application without .deb (gnome-split, a french application for Gnome) :

I) I must to install basic packaging tools :

Code: Select all

apt-get install build-essential fakeroot devscripts debhelper dpkg-dev pbuilder
II) After to download the sources package for my application (for example, gnome-split.
I extract the source files and i go to the new directory. And when i'm in this directory, i launch this command :

dpkg-source -x gnome-split.0.8.dsc
to create a .dsc file. Thanks to this file, i know which package i need to build properly this package. (build-depends)

III) I must to use this command :

debuild binary
to create a .deb for my application ?
How to know which package this application needs to work correctly? (under depends)

Sorry if I understand nothing, it's difficult to create correctly a package for the first time...

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

If you got the three source packages from upstream Debian, the Debian packager should also have added any extra depends needed. Also, If you look in the /debian/control file, under the Depends: section, you should also see a couple of variables:

shlibs: Depends and misc:Depends. During the packaging process, a program called dpkg_shlibs examines the built binaries and pulls out the necessary dependencies automatically from the binaries, then places them into the control file in the finished deb file. I'm not sure where the misc: Depends come from, though. The point is that the Debian packaging system does it automatically, for the most part.

Hmmm...I don't see gnome-split in Debian. You can pull the Ubuntu source files from this PPA:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome-split-te ... ome-split/

but the quality of PPAs varies greatly. For example, I see they have a dependency and Build-depend on a newer version of this package than is available in Sid or Squeeze:

libjava-gnome-java (>= 4.0.16)

which they also have in their PPA. You can possibly rebuild their version of that package, too, or change the versions to what is available in your current version of Debian, and see if that works. Ideally, the version should be the minimum version that will work, but that turns out to often be set too high, and you can get away with using an older version.