Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

shift+numpad as in windows

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
vic_semionov

shift+numpad as in windows

#1 Post by vic_semionov »

Hi

Has anyone got the shift+numpad keys act as in windows in debian?
I'm very used to this. In other distros i used XkbOption "numpad:microsoft", but in debian it wont work.

I'm using sarge, with xfree86 version 4.3.0

thanks

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Umm, sorry for my ignorance, but how exactly it should work...?
I rarely use windows.... :-)

#3 Post by Guest »

lacek wrote:Umm, sorry for my ignorance, but how exactly it should work...?
I rarely use windows.... :-)
shift+numpad keys in windows move the caret the same way that numpad keys work in X, but also the text that the caret has moved over is selected.

like this: when you are editing some text and you press, for example, shift+numpad_end, everything from the caret to the end of the line is selected. by default, in X shift+numpad_end types "1", so you have to use the non-numpad end key.

when you've been used to the other behavior for several years, it's quite annoying.

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

Strange... it works exactly as you described for me. I have sarge, X version 4.3.0, and KDE.
I didn't set any keyboard-specific things in my XF86Config, but here is my "keyboard" section:

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection
I tried it in some apps, and the result is:
In KDE, it works as expected when the numlock in ON. If numlock is OFF, the shift key behaves as if it turned on numlock for the time it is held down.
In GTK, the cursos moves, but it doesn't select anything. If numlock if OFF, it behaves as KDE.
Java completely ignores the shift key.