Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No users on Pidgin

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
enedene

No users on Pidgin

#1 Post by enedene »

I'm using Debian Squeeze, Pidgin 2.7.3.
When starting pidgin my accounts seems to start but I see no contacts.
Then I go to Accounts->Manage accounts and disable accounts, after enabling them again everything is fine. Every time I start Pidgin I get this problem, I have to disable/enable accounts to get my contacts on the list.

chance2105

Re: No users on Pidgin

#2 Post by chance2105 »

Odd. I can't think of any reason why pidgin might do this. Possibly some sort of corruption / confusion over data in pidgin's configuration.

I'd create a new user on your system, and setup pidin there with your accounts. If it works, then you know the trouble is in your .purple in your home directory.

enedene

#3 Post by enedene »

I've tried what you suggested, no luck. I've also tried deleting .purple directory, new directory after restart of pidgin gets created, but after starting the new account again, I have to disable and enable to see the contacts.
I really have no idea why, I never had such problems with pidgin.

chance2105

#4 Post by chance2105 »

You may have a live bug on your hands. Google, the Debian bug tracker, and the Pidgin Bug page. Version 2.7.3 in Squeeze is the current version from the Pidgin guys. I don't see any bug reports in the Debian bugtracker that apply right off. Check through them, see if any apply, and if comfortable with your basic research, post a bug.

enedene

#5 Post by enedene »

Thanks, I have found the bug. I'm not using network manager and pidgin thinks that there is no net while first connecting, starting pidgin with "-f" switch does the job, it forces it to look for connection regardless of network manager installed.

If someone is interested:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=545143