Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Empathy Google Video Chat

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
MikeShepard

Empathy Google Video Chat

#1 Post by MikeShepard »

I've been trying to get the video chat working on my google account through empathy, however when I connect a call, the screen area for my friend is blank, the camera area for me works fine, I can hear them but they can't hear me. In other words, when I connect a call, we can't see each other and I can only hear them. I tried using two different internet connections and the problem persists. I installed the web browser plugin for gmail video, and we can see each other on there, I can also hear the other person, but they cannot hear me. So I have two problems, sending audio doesn't work (microphone is not muted) on either, and empathy can't recieve/send video correctly. My only focus is on empathy however, I just used the web browser for debugging.

Looking at the empathy website, it says I need two packages installed "gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse and gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg" for the h264 decoder/encoder, however gstreamer0.10-pluigins-ugly-multiverse is not available in deban, so I don't know where to find it.

I tried installing these packages "telepathy-sofiasip telepathy-butterfly telepathy-idle libtelepathy-farsight0 python-tpfarsight" as suggested in a different forum, but no difference. I am running debian squeeze on a eeepc t101mt. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, I really want this to work! Thanks

In case it helps:

Code: Select all

$ gst-inspect-0.10 | grep 264 
ffmpeg:  ffdec_h264: FFmpeg H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 decoder
ffmpeg:  ffmux_ipod: FFmpeg iPod H.264 MP4 format muxer
h264parse:  h264parse: H264Parse
rtp:  rtph264depay: RTP H264 depayloader
rtp:  rtph264pay: RTP H264 payloader
typefindfunctions: video/x-h264: h264, x264, 264
-Mike

MikeShepard

Re: Empathy Google Video Chat

#2 Post by MikeShepard »

K, I just installed gstreamer0.10-x264 in hope that it would fix the problem, it updated a libx264-104 package as well, I'm not sure if it was that or from the google-browser plugin but I can now see and hear the other person just fine, but they cannot see or hear me. Empathy shows my image from the camera, and the audio bar moves up and down to the microphone input but it doesn't send anything. I'm assuming this is for the h.264 encoder needed for gstreamer from the gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse package, where can I find a debian equivalent? Thanks

EDIT: I installed x264, libffms2-2 packages, hoping they would give me the encoder I need, now I just get error in empathy that the encoder I'm using is not compatable with the encoder the other person is using. Now I can't even see or hear them, it won't even connect! I tried uninstalling those two packages and the problem persists, I don't know what to do now. :shock: Those two packages also updated these packages libpostproc51 libavutil50. Any ideas? I've been working on this for days, and searching the internet like crazy for answers. Thanks

gradinaruvasile

#3 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Install and use pidgin. I tried it and works with google chat.

Gstreamer plugins:

apt-cache policy gstreamer0.10-plugins-
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-gl-dbg
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-dbg gstreamer0.10-plugins-gl-doc
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-doc gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-dbg
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-doc
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-dbg gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-doc gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer0.10-plugins-cutter gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-dbg
gstreamer0.10-plugins-gl gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-doc

I have some of them installed (the bad, ugly for sure) and i can use Pidgins chat with the google chat (from browser).

Other than that you can use the Googles web plugin directly within gmail, it works very well.

MikeShepard

#4 Post by MikeShepard »

I tried it in Pidgin and it just locks up when video calls are connected. I did get audio working in both directions in empathy, turns out that pulseaudio uses the internal mic as two channels (left,right) and empathy combines them both into one which cancels out the input audio all together. If I drop down the volume on the left channel in volume controls, I can make audio calls in empathy. So that problem is fixed.

However video calls in empathy still disconnect right aways on calls. I did a dist-upgrade now and am running the latest version of squeeze but no difference. I deleted the ~/.gstreamer-0.10 directory and rebuilt the gstreamer registy with "gst-inspect-0.10" but no difference. I'm assuming it's a codec problem and since both pidgin and empathy use gstreamer h.264 for their video calls, this would make sense that both lock up at the same time. Any ideas on what I am missing? I have installed these plugins:

gstreamer0.10-alsa
gstreamer0.10-esd
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
gstreamer0.10-lame
gstreamer0.10-nice
gstreamer0.10-pitfall
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer0.10-plugins-pulseaudio
gstreamer0.10-tools
gstreamer0.10-x
gstreamer0.10-x264
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
libgstreamer0.10-0

Any ideas on what I am missing or maybe some idea of something I should try?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

gradinaruvasile

#5 Post by gradinaruvasile »

You have to configure Pidgin before the video call. Right click on the Pidgin tray icon, select voice/video settings, select the audio method (ALSA or PulseAudio) and more importantly, explicitly select the webcam device (if this is not done, might lock up Pidgin).

MikeShepard

#6 Post by MikeShepard »

Thankyou for the reply. I had already checked the settings in pidgin, empathy, and gstreamer-properties as well. Everything was set to pulse-audio and the camera was set up. When it is connecting, the little box on the side shows the output from my camera and it works fine. I'm assuming the problem lies with sending/receiving the video? Thanks for any ideas, i really appreciate the help.

-Mike

MikeShepard

#7 Post by MikeShepard »

Could you possibly post what gstreamer0.10 plugins, telepathy plugins, and x264 packages you have installed. There must be something you have that I don't (assuming you are running a current squeeze system). If we have the same pidgin versions, the only thing left is a missing package (I hope). I doubt it is a hardware issue as it can loopback my video and audio just fine. Thanks for your help

-Mike

gradinaruvasile

#8 Post by gradinaruvasile »

I had Pidgin 2.7.2 (or 3?) when i did the testing first time.
I just did a test between 2 Pidgins (laptop/desktop) with 2 gmail accounts. One had webcam, the other did not.
Version 2.7.7.

I think the needed gstreamer packages are the -x264, -plugins-bad (installed the really-bad too). I have them from the main repos.

The caveat between 2 Pidgins is the voice/video setting - the side that does not have video must configure an input device (test input). Otherwise one-sided video wont work.

I tried empathy too - it worked, but it took longer to connect and had a ~5 sec audio/video delay. Pidgin had ~1 sec. Also Pidgin used the camera correctly with auto adjusted exposure, while Empathy did not (dark picture).

MikeShepard

#9 Post by MikeShepard »

I am running Pidgin 2.7.3, I have all those gstreamer plugins installed but it still won't connect, and if it does, it just disconnects right away (the same with empathy). There is no option for setting up video via right clicking on the tray option, I can enable a plugin which allows me to adjust the settings, and they are all correct. I tried uninstalling the gstreamer ffmpeg plugin as the empathy website says that can cause problems, still no difference. I have only been able to test with someone using the windows plugin for the gmail webpage though, not pidgin to pidgin. What telepathy packages do you have installed? I know some of those are needed.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure it is just something simple causing the problem.

MikeShepard

#10 Post by MikeShepard »

Here is the error output on pidgin:

mike@sheila ~ $ pidgin &
[1] 3226
mike@sheila ~ $ 
(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_bin_add_many: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_1)' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_link_pads_full: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (src)' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_get_request_pad: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_unref: assertion `object != NULL' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_ghost_pad_new: assertion `GST_IS_PAD (target)' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_unref: assertion `object != NULL' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_set_active: assertion `GST_IS_PAD (pad)' failed

(Pidgin:3226): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_add_pad: assertion `GST_IS_PAD (pad)' failed
This shows up when I get a notice for a incoming video call, accepting the call doesn't add anymore output. It just sits there in pidgin, black screens on the camera window. Also the configure video plugin causes pidgin to crash now.

gradinaruvasile

#11 Post by gradinaruvasile »

First of all make sure your webcam works - launch gstreamer-properties and test the webcam (video tab). If it is working, it means that gstreamer can use it out of the box.

Then try this:

Open a terminal and paste this in it:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so pidgin

Configure again the voice/video plugin, make sure you explicitly select the webcam. Give it another try.

I dont know exactly what telepathy component is needed for Empathy, it is a half-baked messenger in its current state. Maybe if it will be finished i will use it until then i use Pidgin or Sip Communicator. Anyway if you have the video/audio call options you surely have the required component.

MikeShepard

#12 Post by MikeShepard »

Haha, this keeps going from bad to worse.. Whenever I try to configure video, pidgin exits. I tried upgrading to the latest pidgin from unstable and it does the same thing. Empathy and pidgin both just disconnect the calls as soon as they get connected. I'm running the latest squeeze, d-u today. I'm just not sure what to do here. In the beginning, I could see them (see beginning post) and now I can't even get back to that. Obviously something in the updated packages caused this but if it was a faulty package in debian, you should be having the same problem. I'm going to try to find another computer running linux this weekend to test this on, that way I can see if it's the windows end causing the problem..

BTW, the fix you mentioned did not change anything, it still won't connect calls, and the configure video plugin causes a crash. gstreamer-properties sees the camera fine and can feed it back to me. I have setup the camera there correctly. Any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help btw, I really appreciate the time in trying to help me.
-Mike

MikeShepard

#13 Post by MikeShepard »

Just some more debugging info if it helps. 2 weeks ago, I was able to see and hear the other person (they just couldn't see me) until I installed the "x264 libffms2-2" packages; those packages have since been removed from my system since the pidgin/empathy both would disconnect the calls immediately when a call was connected. Removing the packages did not fix the problem, however the two packages did upgrade "libpostproc51 libavutil50", so I think it goes without saying that the problem (or at least one of them) must lie within these two packages. Uninstalling libpostproc51 did nothing to the problem, everything stayed the same. Uninstalling libavutil50 caused the removal of a bunch of packages, one of the them being gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad which caused an error in empathy that the required codec was missing. Long story short, I think the problem lies with one of these two packages. Can you confirm what version of these two packages you are running? and if you have any other thoughts?

Thanks for all the help, it is much appriciated.
-Bret

gradinaruvasile

#14 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Here you go ( i have the debian multimedia repo installed):

$ apt-cache policy libpostproc51 libavutil50
libpostproc51:
  Installed: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Candidate: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Version table:
 *** 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1 0
        500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:0.6.1-2 0
          1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
     4:0.5.2-6 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
          1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
libavutil50:
  Installed: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Candidate: 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1
  Version table:
 *** 5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.1 0
        500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:0.6.1-2 0
          1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages/code]

MikeShepard

#15 Post by MikeShepard »

I am running the same versions as you. I did get a error log this time, seems running empathy with the libvl compat mode does get rid of a few errors, it makes no difference in pidgin however. It seems I have found the problem (don't know the fix though). For pidgin, I cannot configure the audio/video through the plugin, it just exits with no error. Here is the output when trying to connect a call with pidgin:

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_bin_add_many: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_1)' failed

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_link_pads_full: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (src)' failed

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_get_request_pad: assertion `GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_unref: assertion `object != NULL' failed

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_ghost_pad_new: assertion `GST_IS_PAD (target)' failed

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_object_unref: assertion `object != NULL' failed

(Pidgin:22255): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_pad_set_active: assertion `GST_IS_PAD (pad)' failed 

I'm not sure what to make of that. The output from empathy seems to make some more sense, here is the last of the output from empathy when trying to connect a call. This is from running it with the libv4l compat prefix:

(empathy:10923): tp-fs-DEBUG: stream 1 0x9c63f50 (audio) cb_fs_stream_src_pad_added: New pad src_1_4075308823_99: 99: audio speex clock:16000 channels:1 params:(nil)
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
empathy-Message: Element error: Could not create VDPAU device for display: (null) -- (null)

(empathy:10923): tp-fs-DEBUG: tf_channel_dispose
tp-fs-Message: tf_stream_error: stream error errorno=0 error=UI stopped channel
tp-fs-Message: tf_stream_error: stream error errorno=0 error=UI stopped channel
(empathy:10923): tp-fs-DEBUG: _tf_session_dispose
It seems that empathy is not using xv for an output, it is instead trying to use a nvidia driver. Since I am running an intel video driver, I need to switch this, any ideas how? I've already set it to xv in gstreamer-properties however I still get the same error. I'm guessing something else needs to be configured?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

gradinaruvasile

#16 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Thats interesting. But the errors might be the sign of empathy searching all output methods, not necessarily trying to actually use them.

Is the gmail plugin working correctly?

MikeShepard

#17 Post by MikeShepard »

Hmm.. I didn't realize that, I wonder why this is happening. I feel something corrupted a file that pidgin and empathy use?? It worked on receiving video and now I can't even get that. Do you think I am correct in thinking this?

Yes, the gmail plugin works fine with the libv4l compat mode. I just wanted empathy or pidgin to handle it so I don't need a browser window constantly open, plus it seems to work fine for everyone else so I am determined to get it working on my end. Also now that I have devoted so much time to trying to get this working, it's bugging the hell out of me. Any idea's on how to fix the output device not being found?

Thanks
-Mike

acimmarusti

#18 Post by acimmarusti »

I think I know what the problem is.
I've been having the same issues with pidgin (I haven't tried empathy, but it's the same because it relies heavily on gstreamer).
So I obtained a gdb backtrace from pidgin and found the problem in the debugging messages (see bottom)

The issue seems to happen with versions 2.7.3 or older and the version of libgstfarsight0.10-0 in squeeze (0.0.20-1) as I found this is a known problem by the pidgin community:
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/12181

I just submitted a bug report (Debian bug # 608718) about the issue in the hope the maintainer of the package will let the two packages in question migrate to squeeze from sid.

Hope the newer versions work out for you! let me know! I'm going to try them soon.

Here is the gdb backtrace:

$ gdb pidgin
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1-debian
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/pidgin...Reading symbols from /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/pidgin...done.
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) set pagination 0
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/pidgin 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[New Thread 0x7fffbd9c3710 (LWP 3924)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff4d7d28c in gst_handle_message_error (bus=<value optimized out>, msg=<value optimized out>, self=<value optimized out>) at /usr/src/debian/work/build-area/pidgin-2.7.3/./libpurple/media/backend-fs2.c:1025
1025	/usr/src/debian/work/build-area/pidgin-2.7.3/./libpurple/media/backend-fs2.c: No such file or directory.
	in /usr/src/debian/work/build-area/pidgin-2.7.3/./libpurple/media/backend-fs2.c
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff4d7d28c in gst_handle_message_error (bus=<value optimized out>, msg=<value optimized out>, self=<value optimized out>) at /usr/src/debian/work/build-area/pidgin-2.7.3/./libpurple/media/backend-fs2.c:1025
#1  gst_bus_cb (bus=<value optimized out>, msg=<value optimized out>, self=<value optimized out>) at /usr/src/debian/work/build-area/pidgin-2.7.3/./libpurple/media/backend-fs2.c:1063
#2  0x00007ffff551f47e in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#3  0x00007ffff55353f7 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#4  0x00007ffff5536a76 in g_signal_emit_valist () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#5  0x00007ffff5536fc3 in g_signal_emit () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#6  0x00007ffff76dbba2 in gst_bus_async_signal_func () from /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
#7  0x00007ffff76dca54 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0
#8  0x00007ffff50706f2 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#9  0x00007ffff5074568 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#10 0x00007ffff5074a75 in g_main_loop_run () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#11 0x00007ffff644c6b7 in IA__gtk_main () at /scratch/build-area/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gtk/gtkmain.c:1219
#12 0x0000000000485fb4 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffe3e8) at /usr/src/debian/work/build-area/pidgin-2.7.3/./pidgin/gtkmain.c:978
(gdb) quit

MikeShepard

#19 Post by MikeShepard »

I was really excited but it's still a no-go. I updated to the latest pidgin and libgstfarsight0.10 from sid but still the same problems in both empathy and pidgin. Pidgin still quits immediately if I click the video settings, and connect calls. Empathy disconnects immediately when connecting a video call. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help

-Mike

acimmarusti

#20 Post by acimmarusti »

MikeShepard wrote:I was really excited but it's still a no-go. I updated to the latest pidgin and libgstfarsight0.10 from sid but still the same problems in both empathy and pidgin. Pidgin still quits immediately if I click the video settings, and connect calls. Empathy disconnects immediately when connecting a video call. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help

-Mike
sorry I got you all excited. I tried pidgin 2.7.9 with the newer libgstfarsight from sid and It also failed for me. I've updated a bug report with debian and also tried to submit this upstream but so far no response. The weird thing is that it seems to work on Ubuntu 10.10 (at least that's what a guy claimed on the pidgin bug report) with pidgin 2.7.3 and farsight 0.0.21

I'll try opening a new bug report in pidgin. I'll keep you posted. If you find out anything, let me know