Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to install gnome3 in debian

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ChrisBaines

Re: how to install gnome3 in debian

#76 Post by ChrisBaines »

vbrummond wrote: Anyone else encounter this or have a solution? I am using JHBuild to be noted.
I used to build gnome shell using jhbuild, this guide helped me a lot. See the Possible Error 1 section, it might help.

Chris

vbrummond

#77 Post by vbrummond »

Thanks a lot. I know most of the workarounds. I learned I can add some sort of LDFLAG to perhaps fix this however the exact one escapes me.
Always on Debian Testing

lbm

fglrx ?

#78 Post by lbm »

I have installed gnome-shell gnome3-session gdm3 and gnome-themes-standard from experimental.
Then I removed some config folders from my home directory to the it running, and finally gnome3 started. :)

BUT, does anyone have any experience with fglrx and gnome3? I have an xorg.conf where this is specified, but I can see in the gnome3 system-settings it is using the VESA driver, and the grapchis is kinda borked. :?

"VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650"

"
lxinfo |grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color,
"

--edit--
I have now tried, and currently using the radeon driver instead. It is working here. Not extremely quickly, and smooth, but it is working. :)

phenest

#79 Post by phenest »

I had a spare hard drive, so I thought I'd see if I could get gnome3 going on it. I installed squeeze, and upgraded to wheezy. I added the unstable and experimental repos, and installed gnome-shell. But I forgot to install an nVidia binary for 3D acceleration, and now I can't get a desktop (no fallback even though gnome-session-fallback is installed). I can login in with gdm3, but then I just get wallpaper (I don't remember gnome shell having any). There is nothing in the login for me to choose what session I want neither. I'm only on mobile broadband and that won't work until Gnome network manager starts.

Before I start again, any suggestions?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

phenest

#80 Post by phenest »

Turns out the .config in the home folder needs removing. I got the fallback mode ok now, but even after installing the nVidia binary blob (version 280), I can't get the shell. All I have is a black screen with a mouse cursor.

secipolla

#81 Post by secipolla »

phenest, here's my /etc/apt/preferences.d/gnome file

Code: Select all

Package: alacarte banshee* *brasero* cheese dmz-cursor-theme ekiga empathy* evince* file-roller *gconf* gdm3 gnome-activity-journal gnome-applets* gnome-backgrounds gnome-bluetooth gnome-cards-data gnome-control-center* gnome-desktop3-data gnome-disk-utility gnome-doc-utils gnome-games* gnome-icon-theme* gnome-media* gnome-menus gnome-session* gnome-settings-daemon gnome-shell gvfs* libavcodec53 libavformat53 libavutil51 libchamplain* libevent* libgdu-gtk* libglib2.0* libgnome* libnm-* libpanel-applet-4-0 libpostproc52 libswscale2 *nautilus* network-manager* python-gmenu rhythmbox* seahorse* *software-properties* sound-juicer system-config-printer tomboy *totem* transmission* update-notifier vino xdg-user-dirs-gtk yelp
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release experimental
Pin-Priority: 150
I suspect that if you enable sid/experimental and install the proper packages it should work. The main packages are gnome-shell, gnome-session and gdm3.
But if you have stuff left in your home folder, better try to remove them before (.gconf, .gconfd, .gnome, .gnome2, .gstreamer-0.10 and .gvfs plus stuff in .cache, .config and .local).

phenest

#82 Post by phenest »

How do I switch back to fallback mode without X running. At least that works.

secipolla

#83 Post by secipolla »

Do you have GDM? If yes, just ctrl+alt+F1, login as root and

# service gdm3 restart
Then choose the 'GNOME Fallback' session.
edit- I read now you said without X running..
edit2- if you use startx to start the X session you may want to set x-session-manager to gnome-session-fallback with update-alternatives.

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
edit3- if it isn't available, then

# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-session-manager x-session-manager /usr/bin/gnome-session-fallback 65

phenest

#84 Post by phenest »

Thanks. I'm back on fallback again which I think proves my gnome-shell install is ok. I think I may have a driver issue. I'm using the nVidia binary blob from nVidia but, although I get the nVidia splash, I don't seem to have any acceleration. I'll try another driver version or maybe the one in the repos.

phenest

#85 Post by phenest »

phenest wrote:Thanks. I'm back on fallback again which I think proves my gnome-shell install is ok. I think I may have a driver issue. I'm using the nVidia binary blob from nVidia but, although I get the nVidia splash, I don't seem to have any acceleration. I'll try another driver version or maybe the one in the repos.
Compositing! Makes all the difference.

phenest

#86 Post by phenest »

So PulseAudio gets pulled in as part of Gnome3. I can remove it ok, but then I have no way of using my keyboard media keys to control volume, so I guess it will have to stay.
But I do think the configuration files are incomplete. If you check /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common there is only an entry for the PCM channel. As my laptop has an LFE channel also, I think the LFE and Master needs adding. The reason is, if you have an LFE channel (mines built in to the laptop), the volume increases asynchronously so the LFE is blasting out (after only 2 volume steps) before the main speakers have started. Not good. My solution is to set the Master and LFE in that file to 'volume = ignore', so the volume control only operates on the PCM channel. That way, whether you have an LFE channel or not, everyone should be happy. If anyone here has a Dell Precision M90/ XPS M1710/Inspiron 9400/E1705 they'll know what I mean.
But being able to exceed 100% seems strange. I mean, if I do, my laptop is really, really loud. So loud, I have set the Master and LFE volume to only 25%. It still gives me a good range of volume without destroying my speakers.

josephdavidrich115

#87 Post by josephdavidrich115 »

i have used arch linux with gnome 3 and yes it very buggy and as well ubuntu 11.10 and all good distros but Debian something different it work much better with my hardware but i want to put it to the test if i install gnome 3 and see if arch linux and ubuntu and see which is more stable with Debian and yes gnome 3 is unstable to use but guest what most linux os are unstable and i had to find the best one for my computers and debian is in the lead at the moment with hardware compatible with my computer :lol:

vbrummond

#88 Post by vbrummond »

The packages in experimental can be hard to get installed at times, however I have had few crashes with them.
Always on Debian Testing