Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]PLS HELP!! Nvidia module unable to load! Pls.!!!!!!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Arkhos

[Solved]PLS HELP!! Nvidia module unable to load! Pls.!!!!!!

#1 Post by Arkhos »

Hi!

I am running squeeze on a PC 1386 and installed nvidia by using the packages in unstable. I was able to install nvidia and there was no error until the time I started X. The error is unable to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0).

I looked up the log for Xorg and it says Unloadable Module "nvidia".

I spent the entire 24 hours to fix it because this is my office computer and I practically done all the stuff found in the forums. I already did nvidia-xconfig to no avail. I even edited xorg.conf manually and still it was not up.

I have some suspects however which are:

1. Different versions between kernel and nvidia (but since I did it the debian way then I should not have any problems).

2. Nvidia-glx is unusable in Squeeze, so does it mean I go for the unstable distro?

3. Or I miss something crucial on how I installed it?

By the way, I installed Nvidia because I am using a SAMSUNG 21' LED monitor.

Pls. I am begging you all to pls. help me. I need my system up and running this coming Monday for work. Pls. help.

Thanks alot.
Last edited by Arkhos on 2011-02-23 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

Job

Re: PLS HELP!! Nvidia module unable to load! Pls.!!!!!!

#2 Post by Job »

try installing

Code: Select all

nvidia-kernel-dkms
and
nvidia-kernel-common
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

You can delete the file generated by the nvidia-xconfig.

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This should restore the default driver until you can get the nvidia driver working.
Although you can make another xorg.conf file again easily with nvidia-xconfig, you may wish to make a backup of this file so as to keep your edits and post here.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

eric1959

#4 Post by eric1959 »

I need my system up and running this coming Monday for work
A little bit too late....... :roll:
I am running squeeze on a PC 1386 and installed nvidia by using the packages in unstable
Why...?

Remove everything related to nvidia...

First :

apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Go to : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.as ... diag=en-us
and download your driver.....

As root :

chmod +x NVIDIA*.run
Then :

Ctrl-Alt-F1
Stop X

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
or

/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
Run

./NVIDIA*.run
Follow the installation process.

Make sure you tell the installer to automatically modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so you’ll end up using the NVIDIA drivers.
Your xorg.conf should contain :

Section "Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection
And restart the graphical login manager, which will bring back X :

/etc/init.d/gdm(3) start
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=58721
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

Arkhos

#5 Post by Arkhos »

Thanks for the help guys especially to Eric.

Eric, your steps are very clear. Thanks truly.

By the way, Eric you are right that I am too late and Monday is really near. With regard to unstable, I was stupid.. really stupid.

Anyway, after a quick breakfast with eyes ready shutdown, I commence again in fixing my system. I practically was able to solve it by simply removing all the nvidia module & apps I installed and reinstalled my xorg and gdm while getting a fresh copy of libXrandr2 (in order to solve the invalid ELF Header error). After doing it all, I rebooted and luckily I got my desktop back.

Next, I check my sourcelist and remove backports & unstable and fix main and non-free sources and run aptitude for update and upgrade. So far, gnome is holding up. I am still shaky and a bit afraid because I don't know how stable my setup is especially that on Monday I will be running our apps for some critical task.

Anyway, looking around I found a nvidia-graphics driver in squeeze non-free. In this case, I am wondering if this binary package safe to install? or should I stick with my present system that is working?

By the way, what sourcelist should I use for your guide? squeezy main and non-free?

Truly thanks for the help Guys and I would definitely try to get nvidia working again cuz I am using NVIDIA GFORCE 6000 as my Video Card and I want a driver for it.

Thanks again.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

Arkhos wrote: Next, I check my sourcelist and remove backports & unstable and fix main and non-free sources and run aptitude for update and upgrade. So far, gnome is holding up. I am still shaky and a bit afraid because I don't know how stable my setup is especially that on Monday I will be running our apps for some critical task.
For a workstation, just run Debian Stable, specially if, as you say, you need to run it for some critical task. Don't worry: Gnome will hold up like a champion with gdm 2.20.11-4 and xorg 1:7.5+8. Nothing to do with luck. :wink:
Arkhos wrote: Anyway, looking around I found a nvidia-graphics driver in squeeze non-free. In this case, I am wondering if this binary package safe to install? or should I stick with my present system that is working?
What driver is that and how do you propose to install it? Some users may prefer using the nvidia-installer but please read the information here.
It is also perfectly safe to install the Nvidia driver using the Debian way and, remember, that if X fails to fire up, you can always revert to the default driver by doing:

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Looks to me as if your problems might have arisen from mixing repositories.
If you decide to use the Debian way, you might like to post the file resulting from nvidia-xconfig here.
DebianStable

$ vrms

bugsbunny

#7 Post by bugsbunny »

Unless you have a very new card the nvidia drivers in squeeze will work just fine.
If you've cleaned up all the prior nvidia stuff (or if you didn't install anything the nvidia way in the first place) this becomes real easy.

make sure you have the proper kernel headers

add contrib and non-free to sources.list
then, as root (doesn't matter if X is running or not).

aptitude update
aptitude -r install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings
If needed edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
EndSection
Start/restart X
that should do it.

Note that the drivers in squeeze are the same version as the ones in unstable. If you need/want newer you need to get them from experimental (they work fine, those are the ones I'm running).

Arkhos

#8 Post by Arkhos »

To kedaha:

I am now running my critical apps and so far so good. By the way, when I checked my system if it can detect my Samsung LED it says unknown monitor this system message came out after I deleted all the nvidia apps and modules and reinstalled xorg and gdm. Is this okey? By the way, thanks for giving me faith on Debian and its system (I am now confident with it). This is my first LINUX distro. :)

To Bugsbunny:

I will try it out after I am done with my job. Maybe late in the evening or early morning when the system is not in use.

Thanks and I will keep you all guys posted when I make the NVIDIA module run and by that time I will put close on the thread which I hope would also help other users like me.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Arkhos on 2011-02-21 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

Arkhos wrote:To kedaha:

I am now running my critical apps and so far so good. By the way, when I checked my system if it can detect my Samsung LED it says unknown monitor this system message came out after I deleted all the nvidia apps and modules and reinstalled xorg and gdm. Is this okey? By the way, thanks for busting my faith on Debian and its system. This is my first LINUX distro. :)
With regard to the "unknown monitor" system message, I'm not sure but try installing read-edid using synaptic where you can find more info about it.
Hope you mean boosting your faith on Debian! You persuaded them at the office to change to Debian? Your first Linux distro? Mine too since I see no reason to use any other.
DebianStable

$ vrms

Arkhos

#10 Post by Arkhos »

kedaha wrote: With regard to the "unknown monitor" system message, I'm not sure but try installing read-edid using synaptic where you can find more info about it.
Hope you mean boosting your faith on Debian! You persuaded them at the office to change to Debian? Your first Linux distro? Mine too since I see no reason to use any other.
Yea, I mean boosting.. Sorry for the typo. :)

On my office, I was able to convince my peers that for mission-critical stuff we go for Debian. It was a good decision. No regrets. And for Linux, yes this is my first serious distro. I used to try redhat when in school but after one week I actually said goodbye to it cause I never got the hang for it. Shifted to Windows but it was pretty bad and decided to try Linux again but this time I did a research and decided on Debian. :)

I will give read-edid a go after I do a NVIDIA install. My system is still in use.. hehehehe.. can't do install now.

Thanks again!

Arkhos

#11 Post by Arkhos »

bugsbunny wrote:Unless you have a very new card the nvidia drivers in squeeze will work just fine.
If you've cleaned up all the prior nvidia stuff (or if you didn't install anything the nvidia way in the first place) this becomes real easy.

make sure you have the proper kernel headers

add contrib and non-free to sources.list
then, as root (doesn't matter if X is running or not).

aptitude update
aptitude -r install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-settings
If needed edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
EndSection
Bugsbunny, the above method broke my Xorg. It was not able to load the nvidia module plus when I tried to install the nvidia kernel and settings aptitude said that nvidia-glx which was not installed has a broken dependency of xorg-video-abi-6.0 which I don't have or I use xorg.1.7 but I have the latest xorg.1.9.

After the breakage, I purge again nvidia and I recovered my desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

bugsbunny

#12 Post by bugsbunny »

Where did you get xorg 1.9 from? That's definitely not a package from squeeze. That's not even in wheezy yet, although it is in unstable (where it just recently showed up). Not even the current experimental drivers work on that xserve-xorg-core yet.

See the problem is that you're not running squeeze, as opposed to what you first stated. If you had said you were running xorg 1.9 the advice would have been different (starting with why are you doing that?)

See #612956 - Unmatched dependencies for nvidia-glx, xserver-xorg-core too new - Debian Bug report logs for the current status (basically you need to wait a while).

It's also possible that you inadvertently installed the newer xorg when you had unstable in your repos earlier. The question then becomes what else did you inadvertently install from unstable.

kedaha

#13 Post by kedaha »

What graphics card is it, by the way? What does the lspci command show?

lspci | grep VGA
DebianStable

$ vrms

Arkhos

#14 Post by Arkhos »

bugsbunny wrote:Where did you get xorg 1.9 from? That's definitely not a package from squeeze. That's not even in wheezy yet, although it is in unstable (where it just recently showed up). Not even the current experimental drivers work on that xserve-xorg-core yet.

See the problem is that you're not running squeeze, as opposed to what you first stated. If you had said you were running xorg 1.9 the advice would have been different (starting with why are you doing that?)

See #612956 - Unmatched dependencies for nvidia-glx, xserver-xorg-core too new - Debian Bug report logs for the current status (basically you need to wait a while).

It's also possible that you inadvertently installed the newer xorg when you had unstable in your repos earlier. The question then becomes what else did you inadvertently install from unstable.
I think I installed the newer Xorg while I had the unstable repos. I did not intend to do it. Anyway, can I revert to the old one? or any remedy for this? aside from waiting? With regard to other apps, I don't know what I "inadvertently" installed. Is there a way to fix this? Hmm.. I guess I busted my VLC in the process because I can no longer see an image but just hear audio maybe something with upgrades but I am not sure if it was cuz by my using the unstable repository.

I know this sounds crazy but I am really looking forward to fix this cuz it gives me more training in handling my system.

And, I am now definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Last edited by Arkhos on 2011-02-21 16:58, edited 7 times in total.

Arkhos

#15 Post by Arkhos »

kedaha wrote:What graphics card is it, by the way? What does the lspci command show?

lspci | grep VGA
I am running Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

kedaha

#16 Post by kedaha »

What makes it a bit problematic to offer advice is that your system is now mixed stable/unstable.
Just in case, I trust you have backed up your files to a pendrive or somewhere.
IMO remove the unstable packages first and then to reinstall squeeze xorg 1:7.5+8.
After that, attempt to install nvidia. Do you wish to try the Debian way or use the nvidia-installer?
DebianStable

$ vrms

bugsbunny

#17 Post by bugsbunny »

OK, if you've removed the unstable repository from sources then:
1) install apt-show-versions

# aptitude install apt-show-versions
(the # is not part of the command string, but indicates that the command should be run as root))

2) Run the following and post the results:

apt-show-versions|egrep "unknown|""No available"""
That should show us anything that was installed from unstable, along with the current version number.

Arkhos

#18 Post by Arkhos »

To kedaha:

I can do reformat but I am very hopeful not to do it cuz I really want to fix my system up to its last potential. I still believe that the Debian system can withstand some bashing along the way. :)

By the way, I prefer the Debian way!

Hmm.. on your end, do you still believe that my system can be fixed?

To bugsbunny:

Here are the result:

flashplugin-nonfree 1:2.8.3~bpo50+1 newer than version in archive
gcc-4.2-base 4.2.4-6 installed: No available version in archive
libcap1 1:1.10-14 installed: No available version in archive
libdns45 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1 installed: No available version in archive
libdrm-intel1 2.4.23-3 newer than version in archive
libdrm-nouveau1a 2.4.23-3 newer than version in archive
libgcrypt11 1.4.6-5 newer than version in archive
libglobalmenu-gnome 0.7.9-0 installed: No available version in archive
libgnomenu0-2 0.7.9-0 installed: No available version in archive
libgpg-error0 1.10-0.3 newer than version in archive
libisc45 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1 installed: No available version in archive
libisccc40 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1 installed: No available version in archive
libisccfg40 1:9.5.1.dfsg.P3-1+lenny1 installed: No available version in archive
libpciaccess-dev 0.12.1-1 newer than version in archive
libpciaccess0 0.12.1-1 newer than version in archive
libpixman-1-0 0.21.4-2 newer than version in archive
libpixman-1-dev 0.21.4-2 newer than version in archive
libvolume-id0 0.125-7+lenny3 installed: No available version in archive
libxfont1 1:1.4.3-2 newer than version in archive
libxkbfile-dev 1:1.0.7-1 newer than version in archive
libxkbfile1 1:1.0.7-1 newer than version in archive
libxrandr2 2:1.3.1-1 newer than version in archive
linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 2.6.26-26lenny2 installed: No available version in archive
netbeans-ide 6.0.1+dfsg-2 installed: No available version in archive
netbeans-platform 6.0.1+dfsg-2 installed: No available version in archive
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy 0.invalid.0 installed: No available version in archive
x11proto-core-dev 7.0.20-1 newer than version in archive
x11proto-fonts-dev 2.1.1-1 newer than version in archive
x11proto-randr-dev 1.3.2-1 newer than version in archive
x11proto-render-dev 2:0.11.1-1 newer than version in archive
x11proto-video-dev 2.3.1-1 newer than version in archive
x11proto-xext-dev 7.1.2-1 newer than version in archive
x11proto-xinerama-dev 1.2.1-1 newer than version in archive
xarchive 0.2.8.6+debian-6 installed: No available version in archive
xfonts-100dpi 1:1.0.3 newer than version in archive
xfonts-scalable 1:1.0.3-1 newer than version in archive
xorg 1:7.6+3 newer than version in archive
xorg-docs-core 1:1.6-1 newer than version in archive
xserver-common 2:1.9.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg 1:7.6+3 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.9.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-dev 2:1.9.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.6.0-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.5.0-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1:1.6.0-3 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.3.0-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.10.10+20110203-1 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-apm 1:1.2.3-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-ark 1:0.7.3-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.0-1 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-chips 1:1.2.3-3 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 1:1.3.2-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-dummy 1:0.3.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0.4.2-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-geode 2.11.12-1 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-glint 1:1.2.5-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-i128 1:1.3.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-i740 1:1.3.2-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-mach64 6.8.2-5 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.4.13.dfsg-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-neomagic 1:1.2.5-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20101210+8bb8231-2 newer than version in
archive
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome 1:0.2.904+svn891-1 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-r128 6.8.1-5 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.14.0-1 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-rendition 1:4.2.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-s3 1:0.6.3-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge 1:1.10.4-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-savage 1:2.3.2-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion 1:1.7.4-3 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-sis 1:0.10.3-3 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-sisusb 1:0.9.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx 1:1.4.3-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-tga 1:1.2.1-4 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-trident 1:1.3.4-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1:2.3.0-5 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-vmware 1:11.0.3-2 newer than version in archive
xserver-xorg-video-voodoo 1:1.2.4-2 newer than version in archive

What is the next step? I am now all ears and waiting to do the next fix.

Super thanks for all the support guys! I know in the end this "ERROR" of mine can be fixed.

Thanks.

bugsbunny

#19 Post by bugsbunny »

You also have a bunch of lenny stuff in there. If you don't have deborphan installed then install it. What's the output of the following 2 commands:

deborphan
aptitude search ~o
(that's a tilde and lowercase oh)

Also where did these packages come from:
libglobalmenu-gnome
libgnomenu0-2

They're not in lenny or squeeze.

Create /etc/apt/preferences with the following content.

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable,o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 1005
What's the output of:

aptitude install ~i~nxorg -s
(You can run that as a normal user, it's a simulation run)

Arkhos

#20 Post by Arkhos »

Okey! Here we go!

The result for deborphan is:

libqtscript4-core
libgdata-common
libepc-1.0-2
libisccfg40
kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins
libkworkspace4

while the result for aptitude search ~o:

i alsa-modules-2.6.32-5-686 - ALSA modules for kernel 2.6.32-5-686
i debian-backports-keyring - GnuPG archive key of the backports.org rep
i gcc-4.2-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
i A libcap1 - support for getting/setting POSIX.1e capab
i libdns45 - DNS Shared Library used by BIND
i libglobalmenu-gnome - GTK+ Module for Global Menu
i libgnomenu0-2 - Library for Global Menu
i libisc45 - ISC Shared Library used by BIND
i libisccc40 - Command Channel Library used by BIND
i libisccfg40 - Config File Handling Library used by BIND
i A libvolume-id0 - libvolume_id shared library
i A linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 - Linux 2.6.26 image on PPro/Celeron/PII/PII
i netbeans-ide - IDE for Java Development and More, version
i A netbeans-platform - IDE for Java Development and More, version
i pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy - Dummy package to satisfy dependencies with
i xarchive - GTK frontend for most used compression too

With regard to libglobalmenu-gnome and libgnomenu0-2: I kinda installed it via making a .deb package. Should I remove it?

On aptitude install ~i~nxorg -s:

The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
xorg xorg-docs-core xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-dev
xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-geode xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128
xserver-xorg-video-i740 xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128
xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-rendition
xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
xserver-xorg-video-tga xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-vesa
xserver-xorg-video-vmware xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libdrm-nouveau1{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libdrm-nouveau1a{u} x11proto-xinerama-dev{u}
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 42 downgraded, 2 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,457 kB of archives. After unpacking 848 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] Y
Would download/install/remove packages.

Is the output okey?

Thanks!