Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]PLS HELP!! Nvidia module unable to load! Pls.!!!!!!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bugsbunny

Re: PLS HELP!! Nvidia module unable to load! Pls.!!!!!!

#31 Post by bugsbunny »

kedaha wrote:
bugsbunny wrote: If needed edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
EndSection
@bugsbunny I assumed that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is necessary because removing it enables the default driver. I found that the above minimal file did not work in a recent installation of Squeeze but the /etc/X11/xorg.conf resulting from nvidia-xconfig did.
It is necessary, as you say, since otherwise the default driver is used. In most cases the minimum config above will work. In some it won't, which is why I said until/unless. But starting from the minimum won't hurt. If the minimum doesn't work then you can either look at the logs and try to figure out what you need, or you can try running xconfig. Back when xorg.conf was necessary and had a lot of entries xconfig was needed much more often, but the autodetect stuff tends to work in the majority of cases nowadays.

bugsbunny

#32 Post by bugsbunny »

Run the following for real

aptitude purge gcc-4.2-base libcap1 libdns45 libisc45 libisccc40 libisccfg40 libvolume-id0 xarchive  ~n"2.6.26-2-686" xarchiver+
Don't worry about alsa-modules. Just out of curiosity run:

deborphan alsa-modules-2.6.32-5-686
That should pretty much do it. You can run

aptitude search ~o
, just to verify what's left (should be not much, although there will be some.

You can also try installing the nvidia-drivers again.

Arkhos

#33 Post by Arkhos »

Bugsbunny,

I did the purge and it was successful. Thanks.

When I run the deborphan on alsa-modules it resulted:

alsa-modules-2.6.32-5-686

Is the alsa modules a useless package if it showed up in deborphan? Does it mean that it is to be purged?

For the aptitude search ~o the result is:

i alsa-modules-2.6.32-5-686 - ALSA modules for kernel 2.6.32-5-686
i debian-backports-keyring - GnuPG archive key of the backports.org rep
i libdvdcss2-dev - Simple foundation for reading DVDs - devel
i libglobalmenu-gnome - GTK+ Module for Global Menu
i libgnomenu0-2 - Library for Global Menu
i netbeans-ide - IDE for Java Development and More, version
i A netbeans-platform - IDE for Java Development and More, version
i pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy - Dummy package to satisfy dependencies with

By the way, if you think that the above packages are useless then I am willing to purge them. Just say the GO signal. Don't worry about netbeans cuz I plan to shift to eclipse anyway cuz that is what is recommended by my work. :)

Thanks alot! and the next post is NVIDIA installation.

bugsbunny

#34 Post by bugsbunny »

I think that purging alsa-modules should be OK, but I'm not sure. I'd be happier if I knew how it got there. All the required alsa modules should be built into the kernel. It's not really hurting anything.

If you want to delete it and see if everything works without it that's fine. If push comes to shove we can rebuild it using module-assistant and the alsa-source package.

the backports keyring - if you plan on adding squeeze backports to your repos you might as well do it now, that should clear this one up. If you're not going to then you can delete it.

libdvdcss2-dev
netbeans-ide
netbeans-platform
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy

Those 4 can be deleted, given what you said about netbeans.

libglobalmenu-gnome
libgnomenu0-2

Those 2 I leave up to you. You installed them, you can decide if you want to keep them. The purge should have also installed xarchiver, which replaces xarchive.

Arkhos

#35 Post by Arkhos »

Bugsbunny,

The nvidia debian way installation worked! I am now running it in my system and it is so cool!

Thanks alot for your help especially your guidance in purging my system. More power to you! Thanks again. :)

On the packages, I purged everything except the backport keyring cuz I added the backports in my repository and alsa-modules cuz like you I don't really know how it got there. Is there a way to know if the kernel had it already and this one is superflous? I love to remove all the unnecessary stuff. I hate clutter. hehee.. Thanks again for the splendid help!

By the way, I have to install nvidia-xconfig as suggested by Kedaha cuz the minimum installation did not work. To Kedaha, I send my thanks as well cuz your added point clinched the installation.

Once again, thanks to all and Debian rocks!