Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE too slow.....

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Userr

KDE too slow.....

#1 Post by Userr »

Athlon 1900 512M KDE 3.3 all programs opens in 10-15 secs (Firefox, Sim, OpenOffice ...) it is normal? in windows same progs works more faster! :/

tim

#2 Post by tim »

Non-kde applications do take longer to open. Open Office is notoriously slow, but you can speed up the loading time by installing open office quick start for kde--the package is called something like ooqs-kde. (The only reason some of these apps seem to load faster in windows is that they are often pre-loaded during the boot process.)
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

AdrianTM

#3 Post by AdrianTM »

Firefox starts faster in Gnome than in KDE for example.... since it has GTK libraries preloaded (I think)

Linux is better at managing load in my opinion even if some programs start slower they work faster under havier load, while Windows might die.

Also Windows will become terrible slow when you install/remove many programs, Linux - no change, it's more stable in time.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

peschmae

#4 Post by peschmae »

Prelinking helps a bit as far as my experience goes.

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell