Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

startx is obsolete, use gdm/kdm/xdm instead

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

startx is obsolete, use gdm/kdm/xdm instead

#1 Post by Jeroen »

Startx is sometimes still referred in (old) documentation as a way to start an X server. While that is certainly true, what you most likely want instead, is a graphical login manager. A graphical login manager will present you with a username & password prompt, graphically, in X. You can also then choose what type of session to start (common choices are gnome, kde, or old-fashioned xsession), and what language.

install the 'gdm' package for the default graphical login program in Debian. Use /etc/init.d/gdm start|restart|stop to manipulate whether you want the login screen to show up on tty7, if it fails, possibly after trying for a few times, see /var/log/gdm/:0.log (0 -> for the first display) for details.

coolboarderguy

#2 Post by coolboarderguy »

Hi All,

Jereon, may I ask, as a newbie, when do you use the commands, at the 1st prompt, before booting or after you have signed in. I'm getting the text sign in, although I thought I had asked for kdm and xserver/kde. Does Debian always start with the text based sign in and no xserver/desktop till you've configured it to do otherwise..? Cheers.
coolboarderguy...

Jeroen

#3 Post by Jeroen »

If you have installed gdm, which is the default on desktop server task, you should start with having a graphical login prompt at boot. You'll have a text login possibility at the first 6 consoles, and the 7th one will contain gdm which gets normally the focus automatically.

Same for kdm, if not, something is misconfigured, and you'd indeed need to login at a text prompt.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

Jeroen> ...what you most likely want instead, is a graphical login manager.

There are some of us who think that display managers are more trouble than they are worth. I find it much easier to boot into the command line, log in, and then start the graphic session. If I was one of those people who likes to play around with multiple work environments, I would launch the graphical session using one of the following commands:

$ xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox
$ xinit /usr/bin/wmaker
$ xinit /usr/bin/startkde
$ xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session
$ startxfce

You get the idea...

The xfce programmers had the good sense to write a script -- startxfce -- that checks to see if X is running and, if it isn't running, launches it. It's a shame that no other group has seen the value in doing that.

And of course it's no big deal starting a second X session.
$ xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox -- :1

Or a third.
$ xinit /usr/bin/fluxbox -- :2

Or more.

About the only problem with not using a display manager is that unpriviliged users are not allowed to shut down the computer. One gets around this by installing sudo and granting partial root powers to them.