XFCE 4.8 Ugrade Warning !

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

XFCE 4.8 Ugrade Warning !

Postby bohu » 2011-05-01 04:45

some of us that were brave (or dumb?) enough to install xfce 4.8 from sid ran into a problem. It seems the new version of consolekit doesn't play nice with certain login managers (including SLiM). This causes several problems including, but not limited to, regular users losing the ability to reboot or shutdown. I see now that XFCE 4.8 is moving into the testing repo, so if you are using XFCE with SLiM, you will have this problem. To fix this, you must lock consolekit at the current version before upgrading XFCE.

Here is how. First, make sure the correct version of consolekit is installed. In the terminal do this,

aptitude install consolekit=0.4.1-4

then edit the file /etc/apt/preferences and add the following lines...

Package: consolekit
Pin: release v=0.4.1-4
Pin-Priority: 999

this will prevent consolekit from being upgraded.

In the long run, the solution is to use a different login manager or fix SLiM.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------
bohu

Re: XFCE 4.8 Ugrade Warning !

Postby PAP » 2011-05-01 07:39

I'm not familiar with XFCE, but are you sure consolekit is the problem? As far I can tell, users belonging to the "powerdev" group can reboot or shutdown the computer (for some reason this is not needed if you use kde or gnome, but it is needed in other window managers, such as LXDE or iceWM). Maybe
Code: Select all
gpasswd -a <user name> powerdev
and restarting acpi after that is worth a try.
Linux Salix 3.10.17 #2 SMP Fri Feb 14 16:45:28 CST 2014 x86_64
Last Debian used: Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3 (2015-04-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux
PAP

Postby secipolla » 2011-05-01 12:08

Good to tell people but I think it has nothing to do with Xfce 4.8 specifically.
Since when I installed sid with Xfce (4.6) SLiM didn't work for shutdown/reboot. So it should be about the consolekit version (as you figured in the other post).
secipolla

Postby emariz » 2011-05-01 14:48

Search the board before creating a new thread: viewtopic.php?p=365887#p365887
emariz

Postby mephjones » 2011-05-02 02:47

emariz wrote:Search the board before creating a new thread: viewtopic.php?p=365887#p365887

Actually, the info about consolekit is on the fifth page of a thread which is not about consolekit affecting Xfce. I think it's nice to have a separate warning thread.
mephjones

Postby emariz » 2011-05-02 03:25

mephjones wrote:Actually, the info about consolekit is on the fifth page of a thread which is not about consolekit affecting Xfce. I think it's nice to have a separate warning thread.

You know what? You are right. I should have said that that thread also had relevant information about this issue.
emariz

Postby gradinaruvasile » 2011-05-02 05:33

XDM is affected too.
gradinaruvasile

Postby bohu » 2011-05-02 19:56

mephjones wrote:
emariz wrote:Search the board before creating a new thread: viewtopic.php?p=365887#p365887

Actually, the info about consolekit is on the fifth page of a thread which is not about consolekit affecting Xfce. I think it's nice to have a separate warning thread.

That's why I made a new thread. I wanted a headline that people would see and investigate (hopefully) before they upgrade to XFCE 4.8. Even tho 4.8 is not actually the problem; it drags in some things that _are_ the problem.
---------- NRA certified pistol instructor, linux advocate, bookworm, pitbull enthusiast ----------
bohu

Postby bohu » 2011-05-02 19:58

PAP wrote:I'm not familiar with XFCE, but are you sure consolekit is the problem? As far I can tell, users belonging to the "powerdev" group can reboot or shutdown the computer (for some reason this is not needed if you use kde or gnome, but it is needed in other window managers, such as LXDE or iceWM). Maybe
gpasswd -a <user name> powerdev
and restarting acpi after that is worth a try.

I was already a member of powerdev so that isn't the issue. According to the SalineOS devs, consolekit has changed the way it comunicates with login managers so, for now at least, gdm and kdm are the only ones that correctly set policy. The others (slim, xdm. lxdm) will have to be upgraded.

At least slim will let you reboot/shutdown from the login screen which is nice but still inconvenient. Type halt or reboot in the username box followed by root password.
bohu

Postby gradinaruvasile » 2011-08-12 13:05

gradinaruvasile

Postby Llewton » 2011-08-12 14:15

i recently installed testing with xfce 4.8 from an xfce/lxde cd provided in weekly builds, put it on my old notebook to see how things work out. thunar (xfce file manager) would not mount volumes properly even with xdm, and of course the same is true of other file managers. i say "even with", because i don't normally use DMs but i kept this install as it was. only if you have gdm installed things work properly. i think the thread is a fair warning to users.

actually on my work computer (where i have awesome wm but use some xfce programs) i reverted back to stable from testing because of this. i didn't want to install a dm and frankly this type of surprises is why they call it testing anyway..

at the time i tried several of these workarounds obviously no dice.

last but not least, somebody at consolekit should be burned at the stake for all this :lol:
Llewton

Postby gradinaruvasile » 2011-08-12 14:23

This is the only workaround that worked for me consistently:

There is another workaround to this issue:

in the

/usr/share/polkit-1/actions

folder you have the consolekit (reboot etc rights), udisks (mount/unmount/filesystems) etc policy files.
The idea is that in the udisks policy file you have sections related to certain actions. For example:

<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown">
    <description>Set drive spindown timeout</description>
    <description xml:lang="de">Laufwerks-Zeitabschaltung setzen</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to configure drive spindown timeout</message>
    <message xml:lang="de">Zugriffsrechte werden benötigt um die Laufwerks-Zeitabschaltung zu konfigurieren</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>yes</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

Now here you see the allow_ lines - those specify what status has the user that can do that action - by default only the active users are allowed to do stuff.
For some reason on my comp (xfce, xdm) i can see my user as active, but it has still denied the rights to mount stuff despite the fact that udisks from terminal works.
So i modified the allow_any values to the EXACT value of the allow_active ones (the value is the one between the >< signs, it can be yes, no, auth_admin, auth_admin_keep). Now everything works.
After the changes are saved, you have to kill the /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd process with

killall /usr/lib/policykit-1/polkitd

All modifications and process killing is done with root privileges of course.
I have the latest consolekit installed and no modification in the /etc/pam.d/common-session file (that workaround was kinda iffy, sometimes it worked sometimes not).
gradinaruvasile

Postby acimmarusti » 2011-08-12 14:40

Something that has been working for me so far is simply logging in from console (NO gdm, kdm, gdm3, slim, xdm, etc) and then simply invoking x as a regular user:

startx

The only drawback I have experienced is the fact that gnome-keyring won't unlock automatically on login. I've seen a workaround for this, but it requires typing another command... so it defeats the purpose. Of course this issue is only relevant if you use gnome-keyring, which I'm usng because I need to use Network-Manager, because wicd lacks functionality I need on this laptop.

It's not a pretty solution, but I'll wait like this until either slim or xdm are fixed, because gdm3 and kdm bring too many dependencies with them for me to like it
acimmarusti

Postby gradinaruvasile » 2011-08-12 16:35

acimmarusti wrote:Something that has been working for me so far is simply logging in from console (NO gdm, kdm, gdm3, slim, xdm, etc) and then simply invoking x as a regular user:

startx

The only drawback I have experienced is the fact that gnome-keyring won't unlock automatically on login. I've seen a workaround for this, but it requires typing another command... so it defeats the purpose. Of course this issue is only relevant if you use gnome-keyring, which I'm usng because I need to use Network-Manager, because wicd lacks functionality I need on this laptop.

It's not a pretty solution, but I'll wait like this until either slim or xdm are fixed, because gdm3 and kdm bring too many dependencies with them for me to like it

I tried that and it didnt work for me. The only ting that worked is the one i posted above.

BTW what functionality does NM have that isnt available in Wicd
- 3g/umts broadband works very well with sakis3g - better than NM (also can be put in the tray with a simple alltray script with a graphical terminal)
- PPPoE works perfectly well with pppoeconf and
- OpenVPN connections can be made semi-automatic and put in tray with alltray+graphical terminal.
gradinaruvasile

Postby acimmarusti » 2011-08-12 17:51

gradinaruvasile wrote:I tried that and it didnt work for me. The only ting that worked is the one i posted above.

Weird. We must have some different configuration settings.... mmm I don't know.

gradinaruvasile wrote:BTW what functionality does NM have that isnt available in Wicd
- 3g/umts broadband works very well with sakis3g - better than NM (also can be put in the tray with a simple alltray script with a graphical terminal)
- PPPoE works perfectly well with pppoeconf and
- OpenVPN connections can be made semi-automatic and put in tray with alltray+graphical terminal.

I knew I would get this question/comment!

My university has a secure wireless service that requires login and password. Unfortunately they also require several layers of authentication that WICD doesn't provide: TTLS + PAP. Additionally I need to use a Thawte Premium Server Certificate. NM provides all this functionality out of the box and connection is stable.

I did manage to make WICD connect to this secure wireless network, using less preferred specs by the University IT department, namely, PEAP + MS-CHAPv2 authentication and the certificate, but sadly the connection was not stable, it would break often and I had to reconnect.... very annoying.

I also had issues with WICD, when asking for fixed IP address of a wireless connection. The situation is as follows. My router at home does not allow me to assign fixed IP addresses to the machines connected while still using DHCP. I had to manually "ask" for a fixed IP (out of the range of DHCP) using NM/WICD. Sadly, WICD had issues with it and I would get connectivity to the router but no browsing!. Instead NM had no trouble whatsoever! (I have say that this test was done using the router IP as gateway and DNS server. I had to change the latter and put the DNS server's IP's provided by my ISP later because I noticed a large drop in browsing speed...however this last step was done already using NM)

There you have it! Perhaps you guys can show me the way with WICD, which I actually prefer because it's lighter and doesn't bring it so many dependencies from gnome (or perhaps I should post them in a different thread?).
acimmarusti

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia