Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to modify the gnome login screen's font rendering?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rovingspace

how to modify the gnome login screen's font rendering?

#1 Post by rovingspace »

hello guys, i need to know how can i change that login window's font rendering, i mean that screen which you can select user and type password. Is anybody have the experience for tweaking gnome login font or background image?

secipolla

Re: how to modify the gnome login screen's font rendering?

#2 Post by secipolla »

The background you change by editing /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults (there are various topics on this in this forum and many more on google).
The fonts I don't know (maybe there are some settings in that file cited above). You could install gconf-editor and change the font in gdm's properties.
There's a post on Ubuntu forum for that that says to run the command 'sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties'. Maybe that works too.

secipolla

#3 Post by secipolla »

Note that if you simply comment the background line in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults then it will change to the default (solid green colour). Then you can use gconf-editor to change it as you please (use an image instead or change colour or use a colour gradient).

rovingspace

#4 Post by rovingspace »

secipolla wrote:The background you change by editing /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults (there are various topics on this in this forum and many more on google).
The fonts I don't know (maybe there are some settings in that file cited above). You could install gconf-editor and change the font in gdm's properties.
There's a post on Ubuntu forum for that that says to run the command 'sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties'. Maybe that works too.
thanks mate :mrgreen:

ok, i found it by my ownway, my workaround:

1. use "vipw" check the Debian-gdm's working folder, it should be "/var/lib/gdm3"

2. now you build the configuration folder: "/var/lib/gdm3/.gconf/desktop/gnome/font_rendering". (don't forget "chown -R Debian-gdm:Debian-gdm desktop)

3. build configuration file called "%gconf.xml", this file is a standard font redering definition, it should be like:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
	<entry name="dpi" mtime="1312327772" type="float" value="96"/>
	<entry name="hinting" mtime="1312327772" type="string">
		<stringvalue>slight</stringvalue>
	</entry>
	<entry name="antialiasing" mtime="1312327770" type="string">
		<stringvalue>rgba</stringvalue>
	</entry>
</gconf>

Another action is modify the login's background, here are my steps under debian distro:
NOTE: there are many place you can define the background, so if below nodes doesn't appear, you should check another possible folders, such as "/etc/gdm", bla bla bla....
1. edit "/var/lib/gdm3/.gconf.mandatory/%gconf-tree.xml"
2. and you wil see that "background" definition tree-node, here it is:

<dir name="background">
<entry name="picture_options" mtime="1312071869" type="string">
<stringvalue>zoom</stringvalue>
</entry>
<entry name="picture_filename" mtime="1312071869" type="string">
<stringvalue> YOUR IMAGE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </stringvalue>
</entry>
</dir>
my last tweak is change the resolution, my steps:
1. edit "/etc/gdm/Init/Default"
2. edit this line: "xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768", replace your own resolution.

I like tweak my system total manually, if you have better choice, just let me know, thanks~~

emikaadeo

#5 Post by emikaadeo »

rovingspace wrote: ok, i found it by my ownway, my workaround:

1. use "vipw" check the Debian-gdm's working folder, it should be "/var/lib/gdm3"

2. now you build the configuration folder: "/var/lib/gdm3/.gconf/desktop/gnome/font_rendering". (don't forget "chown -R Debian-gdm:Debian-gdm desktop)

3. build configuration file called "%gconf.xml", this file is a standard font redering definition, it should be like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
	<entry name="dpi" mtime="1312327772" type="float" value="96"/>
	<entry name="hinting" mtime="1312327772" type="string">
		<stringvalue>slight</stringvalue>
	</entry>
	<entry name="antialiasing" mtime="1312327770" type="string">
		<stringvalue>rgba</stringvalue>
	</entry>
</gconf>
I've tried this solution on Debian Testing but it doesn't work.
Do you have some more ideas how to change font rendering in gdm3 ?
Thanks in regards.