Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple WMs

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Grommet - Space Cadet

Multiple WMs

#1 Post by Grommet - Space Cadet »

Hi all,

im playing with alot of desktop environments more to gain an understanding of how they differ and such,

Now i have managed to get IceWM, XFCE, KDE,GNOME all installed nps and have been playing.....now i also have metacity,Sawfish,Enlightenment also but i cant get them to show up in my session types list in GDM/KDM.

Is there any reason these are not in the list aws in they are overlays to other WMs etc.....i have managed to run Enlightenment from inside XFCE and it comes up ok from what i can see...

so i guess the question is can you put enlightenment as a seperate session option in KDM.GDM if so how to and should the Apt-get install create this automatically as it doesnt at the moment

jk3us

#2 Post by jk3us »

It looks like the files in /usr/share/xsessions/ have something to do with that, try copying on and editting it to match another WM. Another alternative is to choose "default." In that case, it will run whatever is in your .xsession file. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/xscreensaver -no-splash &
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset b 0 &
/usr/bin/torsmo &

/usr/bin/fluxbox
So you can start a few things, and make set some settings first. Then run fluxbox. The lack of an & after the wm command makes X wait until it exits to shutdown. You could also put an & after the wm and run another x app after it that X will wait on. This will allow you to exit one wm and start another in the same x session. Give that a shot.

Grommet - Space Cadet

#3 Post by Grommet - Space Cadet »

yeah i built a session type for enlightenment.....just seemed strange it didnt have it as autocreated in the deb file like the other WMs..