Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rorschach

[SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

#1 Post by rorschach »

I did a clean install from the most recent LMDE, which includes the newer libcairo that makes fonts look better. While the fonts are definitely better than older Debian versions, they're still not as nice as Ubuntu's, which appears slightly thicker, with more consistent thickness to the letters and more consistent spacing between characters.

I've linked a screenshot of the same text on Debian (top) and Ubuntu (bottom). My hinting is presently set to "slight". Turning it off entirely doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make Debian's fonts look like Ubuntu's?

http://imgur.com/ezyPh
Last edited by rorschach on 2011-10-12 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

vbrummond

Re: Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Make a debian package of the libcairo from the sources in LMDE? Run dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config then dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig ?

Here are my fonts just setting it to use settings for lcds in fontconfig-config:
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/6504/fontsp.png
Always on Debian Testing

rorschach

#3 Post by rorschach »

Eh. Compare your screenshot to the one posted here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... tu#p334586

Things like the vertical line in capital "D"s are not consistent with the rest of the letter's thickness. Compare the "V"s, as well, and see how much jaggier they angled lines in your screenshot are.

vbrummond

#4 Post by vbrummond »

My fonts look fine, much better than Windows. Certainly more readable than Ubuntu.
Always on Debian Testing

cannae

#5 Post by cannae »

Can't see a difference, fonts look fine here. If you like a toy OS, then use it.

rorschach

#6 Post by rorschach »

Wow, all I ask is for Ubuntu's excellent rendering, and someone's got to take a jab at the OS?

At any rate, I've fixed it rather easily by making a copy of Ubuntu's /etc/fonts/ folder and replacing Debian's with it. Fonts are much better now. It seems that the packages in Debian are fine, but the configuration settings are not as refined as Ubuntu's.

If anyone stumbles on this thread in the future and you don't have Ubuntu on CD or USB, just ask me (or anyone on ubuntuforums) for a copy of that folder and I'll try to get it to you.

62chevy

#7 Post by 62chevy »

rorschach wrote:Wow, all I ask is for Ubuntu's excellent rendering, and someone's got to take a jab at the OS?

At any rate, I've fixed it rather easily by making a copy of Ubuntu's /etc/fonts/ folder and replacing Debian's with it. Fonts are much better now. It seems that the packages in Debian are fine, but the configuration settings are not as refined as Ubuntu's.

If anyone stumbles on this thread in the future and you don't have Ubuntu on CD or USB, just ask me (or anyone on ubuntuforums) for a copy of that folder and I'll try to get it to you.
I find the fonts in Debian to render just fine. No one cares if you use Ubuntu but when you rub it in their faces some rub back.
Debian Buster

rorschach

#8 Post by rorschach »

62chevy wrote:
rorschach wrote:Wow, all I ask is for Ubuntu's excellent rendering, and someone's got to take a jab at the OS?

I find the fonts in Debian to render just fine. No one cares if you use Ubuntu but when you rub it in their faces some rub back.
First, I didn't ask whether anyone preferred Debian's font settings. That sort of response is like me asking how to install Firefox and someone saying "I prefer Chrome anyway." Off-topic.

Second, I didn't rub it in anyone's face that I use Ubuntu. I actually said that I am running a recently reinstalled Linux Mint Debian Edition. Nor did I trash Debian's font rendering; I only described the differences I was seeing and asked how to close the gap.

It seems like even mentioning Ubuntu brings out some rather vocal butthurt individuals.

62chevy

#9 Post by 62chevy »

rorschach wrote:
62chevy wrote:

First, I didn't ask whether anyone preferred Debian's font settings. That sort of response is like me asking how to install Firefox and someone saying "I prefer Chrome anyway." Off-topic.

Second, I didn't rub it in anyone's face that I use Ubuntu. I actually said that I am running a recently reinstalled Linux Mint Debian Edition. Nor did I trash Debian's font rendering; I only described the differences I was seeing and asked how to close the gap.

It seems like even mentioning Ubuntu brings out some rather vocal butthurt individuals.

WoW! LOL!
Debian Buster

vbrummond

#10 Post by vbrummond »

rorschach wrote:First, I didn't ask whether anyone preferred Debian's font settings. That sort of response is like me asking how to install Firefox and someone saying "I prefer Chrome anyway." Off-topic.
This is Debian forums.
LMDE is not Debian. The fonts render fine.
This isn't 2005.

Stop trolling. I gave you a real response and the fact my fonts look bloody fantastic, which you didn't seem to like. Why are there so many font trolls. If you can read it is FINE!

If you can reply to this post your fonts serve their purpose. And no I am not representative of the Debian community, I am just the local jerk.
Always on Debian Testing

rorschach

Re: [SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu

#11 Post by rorschach »

Can't tell if idiot or troll.

Job

#12 Post by Job »

Why don't I ever pay attention to stuff like fonts? Is it up and running? Doing all it must be doing? All happy at this end.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

mosno

#13 Post by mosno »

vbrummond wrote:Here are my fonts just setting it to use settings for lcds in fontconfig-config:
@vbrummond, that's a sweet looking Nautilus you've got there. Any chance you can share with us the Metacity/GTK+ themes and icon theme in use?

I tried searching for it in your posts, but the forum search function was unavailable for some reason.

tdrusk

#14 Post by tdrusk »

mosno wrote:
vbrummond wrote:Here are my fonts just setting it to use settings for lcds in fontconfig-config:
@vbrummond, that's a sweet looking Nautilus you've got there. Any chance you can share with us the Metacity/GTK+ themes and icon theme in use?

I tried searching for it in your posts, but the forum search function was unavailable for some reason.
pretty sure the gtk theme is a shiki variant. jist search for shiki with aptitude. i prefer shiki-brave.

Azazello

#15 Post by Azazello »

icons look like faenza

ivanovnegro

#16 Post by ivanovnegro »

I am a Debian user but am also a "good looking font" fanatic and I know how to handle it.

But anyway I am asking myself why all this users of Ubuntu/Mint are coming here in the first place, ask this on Mint Forums and I am sure they will be glad to help you out. Support the distro you use and you will get also adequate support from them! And then we can all stop to "troll" this board.

mosno

#17 Post by mosno »

tdrusk wrote:pretty sure the gtk theme is a shiki variant. jist search for shiki with aptitude. i prefer shiki-brave.
Thanks, tdrusk. The closest I could get to the screenshot was the Shiki-Dust theme (with some differences, ie. background colour of the toolbar).

However -- for some reason -- Iceweasel's AwecomeBar drop-down list uses the very dark menubar colour for its background, thus making hyperlinks on the list unreadable. And it doesn't look like this is easily tweaked without also changing the menubar colour. So, I think I'll avoid this for now. :(
Azazello wrote:icons look like faenza
Thanks, Azazello. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in Debian's repos, and I am trying to stick to Debian repos as much as possible for safety and ease of administration (and the warm, fuzzy feeling you get knowing that the desktop you're showing off is all-Debian :lol: ). I will definitely keep an eye on this theme in the future, as it is rather good. Hopefully it finds its way into Wheezy...

Murdock

#18 Post by Murdock »

Whorseschack.Great. A rocket scientist stating LMDE is not Debian. What is it ? Leopard ? SUSE ? Looking at the repos I'd say it's the same as what you are running........uNLESS You have Winbloze 98 S.P. 43. :roll:

Azazello

#19 Post by Azazello »

mosno wrote:
tdrusk wrote:pretty sure the gtk theme is a shiki variant. jist search for shiki with aptitude. i prefer shiki-brave.
Thanks, tdrusk. The closest I could get to the screenshot was the Shiki-Dust theme (with some differences, ie. background colour of the toolbar).

However -- for some reason -- Iceweasel's AwecomeBar drop-down list uses the very dark menubar colour for its background, thus making hyperlinks on the list unreadable. And it doesn't look like this is easily tweaked without also changing the menubar colour. So, I think I'll avoid this for now. :(
Azazello wrote:icons look like faenza
Thanks, Azazello. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in Debian's repos, and I am trying to stick to Debian repos as much as possible for safety and ease of administration (and the warm, fuzzy feeling you get knowing that the desktop you're showing off is all-Debian :lol: ). I will definitely keep an eye on this theme in the future, as it is rather good. Hopefully it finds its way into Wheezy...
The Faenza package installs and works just fine (I got it from DeviantArt I think) - it's a very nice icon set; I switched to shiki-brave (it's in the repos) - it looks really nice!

d1554573r

#20 Post by d1554573r »

LMDE = Debian Testing plus some ubuntu user-friendly stuff and stuff from mint. Btw, this distro is really bugged. But well it's technicly a debian.