[SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: [SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-10-16 21:17

I am a Debian user but am also a "good looking font" fanatic and I know how to handle it.

But anyway I am asking myself why all this users of Ubuntu/Mint are coming here in the first place, ask this on Mint Forums and I am sure they will be glad to help you out. Support the distro you use and you will get also adequate support from them! And then we can all stop to "troll" this board.
ivanovnegro

Re: Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

Postby mosno » 2011-10-16 23:40

tdrusk wrote:pretty sure the gtk theme is a shiki variant. jist search for shiki with aptitude. i prefer shiki-brave.

Thanks, tdrusk. The closest I could get to the screenshot was the Shiki-Dust theme (with some differences, ie. background colour of the toolbar).

However -- for some reason -- Iceweasel's AwecomeBar drop-down list uses the very dark menubar colour for its background, thus making hyperlinks on the list unreadable. And it doesn't look like this is easily tweaked without also changing the menubar colour. So, I think I'll avoid this for now. :(

Azazello wrote:icons look like faenza

Thanks, Azazello. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in Debian's repos, and I am trying to stick to Debian repos as much as possible for safety and ease of administration (and the warm, fuzzy feeling you get knowing that the desktop you're showing off is all-Debian :lol: ). I will definitely keep an eye on this theme in the future, as it is rather good. Hopefully it finds its way into Wheezy...
mosno

Postby Murdock » 2011-10-17 08:58

Whorseschack.Great. A rocket scientist stating LMDE is not Debian. What is it ? Leopard ? SUSE ? Looking at the repos I'd say it's the same as what you are running........uNLESS You have Winbloze 98 S.P. 43. :roll:
Murdock

Re: Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

Postby Azazello » 2011-10-17 10:12

mosno wrote:
tdrusk wrote:pretty sure the gtk theme is a shiki variant. jist search for shiki with aptitude. i prefer shiki-brave.

Thanks, tdrusk. The closest I could get to the screenshot was the Shiki-Dust theme (with some differences, ie. background colour of the toolbar).

However -- for some reason -- Iceweasel's AwecomeBar drop-down list uses the very dark menubar colour for its background, thus making hyperlinks on the list unreadable. And it doesn't look like this is easily tweaked without also changing the menubar colour. So, I think I'll avoid this for now. :(

Azazello wrote:icons look like faenza

Thanks, Azazello. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it in Debian's repos, and I am trying to stick to Debian repos as much as possible for safety and ease of administration (and the warm, fuzzy feeling you get knowing that the desktop you're showing off is all-Debian :lol: ). I will definitely keep an eye on this theme in the future, as it is rather good. Hopefully it finds its way into Wheezy...

The Faenza package installs and works just fine (I got it from DeviantArt I think) - it's a very nice icon set; I switched to shiki-brave (it's in the repos) - it looks really nice!
Azazello

Postby d1554573r » 2011-10-21 19:17

LMDE = Debian Testing plus some ubuntu user-friendly stuff and stuff from mint. Btw, this distro is really bugged. But well it's technicly a debian.
d1554573r

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-10-22 03:26

Ok, not a problem for me, really, but I find Debian Testing even more polished as this Mint thing. Just saying. What is so hard about running the real thing??
ivanovnegro

Postby rorschach » 2011-10-24 20:02

Linux Mint Debian Edition IS the real thing. They difference is that they add some custom software, but I've removed the Mint repos and replaced them entirely with Debian's official repos.
Why use Mint instead of vanilla Debian? Because Mint provides a nice live testing USB image. It's stable (the adjective, not the Debian branch) and lets me have a functioning OS as soon as I install. I don't have to worry about something being not quite right in the testing repos when I try to get everything up and going. No weird installer issues, no having to navigate Debian's horrible website to hunt down the specific combination of stuff that I need to make a live USB. Multimedia works right out of the box, too, which is a nice bonus. Spares me having to add the repos, update, add the key, update, then select each individual package to install, then wait for apt to do its thing. It's not impossible to start from plain Debian, but it's a much nicer experience starting from LMDE.

I know that anything that isn't purely Debian get's totally trashed on these forums, but there's an honest answer for anyone who cares for it.
rorschach

Postby Roken » 2011-10-24 22:55

Gotta say, I'm a "pure Debian" user, having migtrated to pure Debian from, oh oh, LMDE, and I have to say I'm appalled at the attitude of some of the users here.

I'm done with this forum.
Roken

Postby 62chevy » 2011-10-25 00:40

rorschach wrote:Linux Mint Debian Edition IS the real thing. They difference is that they add some custom software, but I've removed the Mint repos and replaced them entirely with Debian's official repos.
Why use Mint instead of vanilla Debian? Because Mint provides a nice live testing USB image. It's stable (the adjective, not the Debian branch) and lets me have a functioning OS as soon as I install. I don't have to worry about something being not quite right in the testing repos when I try to get everything up and going. No weird installer issues, no having to navigate Debian's horrible website to hunt down the specific combination of stuff that I need to make a live USB. Multimedia works right out of the box, too, which is a nice bonus. Spares me having to add the repos, update, add the key, update, then select each individual package to install, then wait for apt to do its thing. It's not impossible to start from plain Debian, but it's a much nicer experience starting from LMDE.

I know that anything that isn't purely Debian get's totally trashed on these forums, but there's an honest answer for anyone who cares for it.

I don't see a problem with the way you installed Debian. LMDE does install all the codex and non-free drivers that you need that Debian does not. That is one of the reasons I recommend SalineOS to people that like Xfce. It's even closer to Debian than LMDE is but because they have a bunch of scripts that are not anointed by Debian it's not Debian according to some of the Blue-Blood Debian users. The funny thing is all those script apt-get all the non-free drivers and codex from the Debian repository.
Debian Squeeze
Debian Sid
SalineOS 1.5
62chevy

Postby vbrummond » 2011-10-25 01:02

rorschach wrote:Why use Mint instead of vanilla Debian?

Adhd?

Because Mint provides a nice live testing USB image.

http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

It's stable

Stable:
1. Resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed.
2. A distro that is not LMDE aka Mint Debian Ripoff Rolling

lets me have a functioning OS as soon as I install

I could slightly agree with this. Though the full Debian Gnome desktop is quite usable, especially installed from the live image, the other desktops require some software installed.

I don't have to worry about something being not quite right in the testing repos when I try to get everything up and going.

It comes with the territory Testing not being a released form of Debian.

No weird installer issues

Lolok

no having to navigate Debian's horrible website to hunt down the specific combination of stuff that I need to make a live USB.

Yeah its not easy on the eyes, simple, and web standards compliant. Unlike that annoying spammy green fest.

Multimedia works right out of the box, too, which is a nice bonus.

As far as I know the Debian live image works for everything except very new wma/wmv, encoding x264, and libdvdcss.. Which are all easy to install.

Spares me having to add the repos, update, add the key, update, then select each individual package to install, then wait for apt to do its thing. It's not impossible to start from plain Debian, but it's a much nicer experience starting from LMDE.

You can install a weekly generated image of Testing.

Aww. Well that is not quite true. I like Mepis, Knoppix. I dislike Ubuntu and LMDE aka The one that is a clone of Debian instead of a clone of Ubuntu.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby 62chevy » 2011-10-25 01:14

Aww. Well that is not quite true. I like Mepis, Knoppix. I dislike Ubuntu and LMDE aka The one that is a clone of Debian instead of a clone of Ubuntu.

I don't like Ubuntu at all, LMDE isn't all that bad but the menus do suck. The worst part about both Distros are the trolls that show up to start a fight and when they get one run crying that everyone on this board is mean.
Debian Squeeze
Debian Sid
SalineOS 1.5
62chevy

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-10-25 01:26

62chevy wrote:
The worst part about both Distros are the trolls that show up to start a fight and when they get one run crying that everyone on this board is mean.

+1
ivanovnegro

Postby vbrummond » 2011-10-25 03:58

I have few real problems with Mint other than its vast legion of ill informed fanboys. It tends to bring out the inner troll in me.
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby ivanovnegro » 2011-10-25 04:18

I think the real Mint users are just fine, just saying. And I think the real fanboys are there, not here. We somehow get just the newcomers of Mint or Ubuntu thinking the Debian forum is their way to go. What I cannot understand, some people here are really helping out and then you recieve just badmouthing because you say why maybe not going to ask the Mint specific things on their forums, what is the problem about it?

I personally do not have any problem with Mint or whatever users and I appreciate even the Debian direction of Mint. I know some LMDE users are Debian Forum members and they are not "ill informed", at least in my opinion.

I say this e.g.:

"Support the distro you use and you will get also adequate support from them!"

And see what we get here:

Murdock wrote:Whorseschack.Great. A rocket scientist stating LMDE is not Debian. What is it ? Leopard ? SUSE ? Looking at the repos I'd say it's the same as what you are running........uNLESS You have Winbloze 98 S.P. 43. :roll:

It is a nice example of just going straight into confrontation.
ivanovnegro

Postby rorschach » 2011-10-25 04:38

ivanovnegro wrote:It is a nice example of just going straight into confrontation.

You should see how this thread started. All I did is ask how to get my fonts to look better, and a whole bunch of people got all sorts of butthurt. This forum is notorious for being a lousy community, and it's probably because of stuff like this.
rorschach

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop & Multimedia