Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu's

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
vbrummond

Re: [SOLVED easily] Debian fonts still not as nice as Ubuntu

#31 Post by vbrummond »

Oh, I should mention to the person I was kind of semi rudely contradicting above. Apologies, I am not numbering you among the fanboys.
Always on Debian Testing

aaralynatikah

#32 Post by aaralynatikah »

I use 6 distro linux in My computer (Debian / ubuntu / slackware / Fedora / Mandriva / and BackTrack) + FreeBSD + Windows 7 ! So it’s 8 OS! If I'm tired of using one OS that I have, I'll switch to another OS! but I never blame the OS that I have if I get trouble. If You do not want to use it, Do not use, but if You want to use it, prepared to accept all the risks and remember do not ever insult / blame between one (OS) with another (OS) ! all distributions (OS) have advantages and disadvantages of each, nothing is 100% perfect, if you want (OS) is perfect for you. May I suggest to use the LFS (Linux From Scratch) and make your own distro!! Thank you! :)

el_koraco

#33 Post by el_koraco »

rorschach wrote:
ivanovnegro wrote: It is a nice example of just going straight into confrontation.
You should see how this thread started. All I did is ask how to get my fonts to look better, and a whole bunch of people got all sorts of butthurt. This forum is notorious for being a lousy community, and it's probably because of stuff like this.

Code: Select all

su -c 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config'
answer Native, Automatic, Yes

su -c 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig'

touch .fonts.conf
nano .fonts.conf
paste in:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
<match target="font">
   <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter">
   <const>lcddefault</const>
   </edit>
 </match>
<match target="pattern">
   <edit name="dpi" mode="assign">
   <double>96</double></edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>
for lolz, create, or paste into .Xdefaults:

Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft*dpi: 96
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Log out, log back in. I actually find Debian's fonts to be slightly better than Ubuntu's with the recent versions of libcairo2, libxft and libfreetype6 (make sure you have all these installed). Get back in case we need to tidy it up some more.

rorschach

#34 Post by rorschach »

el_koraco wrote:Log out, log back in. I actually find Debian's fonts to be slightly better than Ubuntu's with the recent versions of libcairo2, libxft and libfreetype6 (make sure you have all these installed). Get back in case we need to tidy it up some more.
The fonts were OK after copying Ubuntu's /etc/fonts/ into Debian's. But, I figured I'd go ahead and try what you posted to see if the fonts could be improved even further. Unfortunately, it seems to have ruined the rendering of some fonts. You'll notice that the GNOME interface and most web pages (see the Wikipedia example) still render fine.

el_koraco

#35 Post by el_koraco »

Run the first command, and choose Autohinter, Always, No in that case (the last one has to do with bitmap fonts, dunno if you use those), or Native, Always, No. Or just cp the whole /etc7fonts from Ubuntu again.

grege

#37 Post by grege »

el_koraco wrote: ......
Log out, log back in. I actually find Debian's fonts to be slightly better than Ubuntu's with the recent versions of libcairo2, libxft and libfreetype6 (make sure you have all these installed). Get back in case we need to tidy it up some more.
Thank you for this answer. I had not had any font troubles for ages then last week I had to re-install from scratch (Wheezy) on a new drive and suddenly found crappy fonts, especially in Chrome and Chromium. After reading copious quantities of out of date rubbish I found you post and, just like that, fonts fixed. I have it in my bookmarks in Chrome for future reference.